🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
jmhut

Grizzly Man

I don't think all of this was real but I watched it anyway and fantasized about the mileage this show could get out of it with Paul F Tomkins as special guest. Currently available on Netflix. I would be willing to pay a reasonable sum to hear this reviewed.

I agree that Tim was real but there is no way that the footage shown in the movie was "found". Footage of the attack with audio but no video? lens cap was on? Blair Witch anybody? Partially manufactured at the least. My beef is not with the guy, just with the movie. That makes it ever more worthy of mockery and satire.

To be clear, the satire of this is aimed at Werner Herzog, not Tim Treadwell. Werner has it coming and PFT would be brilliant at it.

It's on Netflix now. Watch it with an open mind and then Google Treadwell. I wanted to believe it too but then I did the research.

Hard to know if joking or if you're just straight up nutter butters. I was almost ready to defend your choice of this movie because hearing june, paul and jason discussing a man whose idea of bears apparently never matured past winnie the pooh would be fascinating.

But to insinuate that anything in this movie is anything other than its stated to be is insulting, both to Herzog, and more importantly to Tim and Amie who both actually got eaten by a fucking bear.

• Like 1

Just because there have been like half a million "found footage" horror movies released in the past decade doesn't mean that anything using footage somebody shot before they died is fake. Timothy Treadwell had access to cheap video cameras, like pretty much anybody with a few hundred dollars in the 1990s and early 2000s did, and he used it to document himself for whatever reason.

The sad thing is that, if this were any other Werner Herzog documentary, accusations of fakery wouldn't be out of line; he's admitted that he'll sometimes fake something to get to a more "emotional" truth. But in this case, there's pretty much no reason to doubt what's on screen.

The truly unfortunate thing of this movie was the death of his girlfriend and the fact that this nutjob went around the country on his off time teaching children his "knowledge" of bears. His ideas concerning bears and how people should act around them are incredibly dangerous, as apparent with what eventually happened to him, and led to the death of a bear that was just acting in its nature. Also if anyone were to dissect this with the show, it should be Bill Burr who does it as he gave a great breakdown of the issues of what Treadwell did in nature while living amongst the bears.

• Like 1

I agree that Tim was real but there is no way that the footage shown in the movie was "found". Footage of the attack with audio but no video? lens cap was on? Blair Witch anybody?

The existence of the audio was reported by police long before Herzog became involved.

OK, then let's consider this under a different premise. I'm in it for the review, not for bragging rights on the forum so I'm flexible. Let's assume it is real. Setting aside that satirizing a documentary about people who died is perhaps too much of a stretch to be in good taste (in all seriousness, maybe it is). If this is 100% true and has not been "Herzoged" (he has admitted stretching the truth so I don't think this is out of line) I'm not sure this isn't an even better reason to do the review. I was initially willing to give the benefit of the doubt that Tim was being shown in an exaggerated and ridiculous light. If this is who he really was, wow. It would be difficult to do without coming off as ghoulish but I'm not sure it wouldn't be a public service. "The Darwin Awards" got away with it so it can be done. Thoughts?

The first question I ask myself for any suggestion for the show is, "Will this make for a fun episode?", and the answer on this is a resounding "NO!". I just don't think there's any fun to be mined here, and I don't think anyone is going to enjoy watching it with comedy in mind. It goes beyond "so upsetting".

• Like 2

Tim's death is less of a tragedy given the way he lived his life. He constantly put himself at risk and later his girlfriend. And for a cause that existed only in his own mind.

What makes this movie so overwhelmingly depressing is a poor woman got roped into his fantasy and died trying to save him. Or that a starving bear got shot for acting like a starving bear in a place where it totally should have been cool.

In no way would with this be a fun episode. You want a fun Herzog episode than try recommending Bad Lieutenant.

• Like 2

I met Herzog when shooting a documentary about the Internet and internet addiction. I had watched Grizzly Man the week before, and has to ask about the final audio. You could not fake the disturbance on his face. It was real, and it was deeply disturbing.

There is no doubt that this is a real documentary and a sad but real problem in our parks everywhere in north America, People get attacked by getting too close and trying to take a stupid picture with the bears. If you travel to banff Alberta, it's not uncommon to see tourist bus's stopped by a road side with a bus full of tourists with cameras taking photos of the bears.

Watched this movie because of you guys talking about it,peaked my curiosity. it was Good but not a HDTGM movie.

I loved the fact that Timothy had children's names for all of his bear friends. Like Chocolate bear.

Now I don't think it needs to be said who I think should play Timothy in a remake movie about the life of Timothy Treadwell. I could so see his Californian smile with a bear sneaking up on him. as he says there is nothing wrong with living with bears, they are just like people. WHAT THE! NOT THE BEARS!!! YOU TOO

CHOCOLATE SPONGE CAKE BEAR! with a sad but disappointed look on his face.

Sign in to follow this