🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 351 — CBB: The Movie

sometimes they laughed tho, better stay away

• Like 6

Wow, see the table read was what I thought was awful about the episode. I enjoyed Hayes and Sean during the interview portion, and I think that was still a lot of their shtick rather than general CBB randomness, but it completely devolved in that table read. It felt like a situation that could come up on a normal CBB episode and be done very well but to me it was completely forgettable, the 2 extra players gave me nothing memorable. Would have been very into it if I stopped listening when that started

More like Sham Sit-not-so-well if you ask me

• Like 1

This was basically an HH episode with Anchorman as guest. If it makes anyone feel any better.

• Like 1

I tried the first ep of Reality Show Show after I'd caught up on my HH binge and needed a fix, but I know nothing about reality TV and had a hard time following it. But the comments above are my own personal "ehhh, wrong" clarion call to give it another shot.

There's a point in the show where they're clearly sick of the premise and it basically just becomes hollywood handbook. Check out episode 6 to start with. Lotta good talk about baked poh-tay-duhs

• Like 5

I like when Stan Sitwell read the menu out loud to Lucille at the country club. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of what he's doing now. It's not that it's bad, it's just different I guess.

• Like 8

Wow, see the table read was what I thought was awful about the episode. I enjoyed Hayes and Sean during the interview portion, and I think that was still a lot of their shtick rather than general CBB randomness, but it completely devolved in that table read. It felt like a situation that could come up on a normal CBB episode and be done very well but to me it was completely forgettable, the 2 extra players gave me nothing memorable. Would have been very into it if I stopped listening when that started

I hear you in terms of laughter and such bothering you. Intellectually, I understand your point and I won't invalidate your experience, but man do I enjoy their goofiness. Different jokes for different folks after all.

I think they kept very much in the spirit of HH as it was an extended plug for their show, which the best of featured two other table reads. For me, and maybe it's just me, I don't see a huge gulf between what they do and some of the sillier CBB bits. Thanks for enduring the HH enthusiasm!

• Like 7

As one who has listened a few times to HH and chuckled here and there but was never enthusiastic enough to become a consistent listener, I found this episode great, and laughed harder during the table read than I have in a few weeks. I think there is a definite link between the absurdist humor of Scotty Auks and Sean and Hayes'. I don't have a lot of space in my podcast schedule, but if I get some, the first place I'm going to is HH's other table reads for starters.

And, also, I honestly appreciate the fun the regular HH listeners have with their show. I know what it feels like to be passionate about a podcast I love.

• Like 13

u guys into memes?

this feels like a trap with no right answer. You tell me. Do we?

• Like 1

I hear you in terms of laughter and such bothering you. Intellectually, I understand your point and I won't invalidate your experience, but man do I enjoy their goofiness. Different jokes for different folks after all.

I think they kept very much in the spirit of HH as it was an extended plug for their show, which the best of featured two other table reads. For me, and maybe it's just me, I don't see a huge gulf between what they do and some of the sillier CBB bits. Thanks for enduring the HH enthusiasm!

Yeah I can definitely see that similarity, but maybe its just me but for me, just 1 listen was too much of their 'in' jokes so to speak. As a CBB enthusiast, I could hear Scott add a "its been awhile" "my wiiiiife" "woody allen: what about the murphy group" 100 times in a row and find it funny, but I know a new listener would be annoyed half to death, and I think that's whats happening here.

Reading some of these 400 posts has bummed me out slightly. The "farmy brat" line early on was something that I thought was next-level, but apparently thats a well worn bit? I was thinking, wow he came up with that gem pretty quick

• Like 1

I like when Stan Sitwell read the menu out loud to Lucille at the country club. I'm not necessarily a huge fan of what he's doing now. It's not that it's bad, it's just different I guess.

thanks, no matter my opinions on podcasts, everyone should understand that my reading of "an assortment of ice creams and sorbets" needs to be properly appreciated

• Like 6

Yeah I can definitely see that similarity, but maybe its just me but for me, just 1 listen was too much of their 'in' jokes so to speak. As a CBB enthusiast, I could hear Scott add a "its been awhile" "my wiiiiife" "woody allen: what about the murphy group" 100 times in a row and find it funny, but I know a new listener would be annoyed half to death, and I think that's whats happening here.

Reading some of these 400 posts has bummed me out slightly. The "farmy brat" line early on was something that I thought was next-level, but apparently thats a well worn bit? I was thinking, wow he came up with that gem pretty quick

I could be wrong, but I think the 'back' bit was new to both. I really enjoyed that one.

I will add, one of the things I enjoy the most about them is their relentless approach to these characters. I would encourage you to check out the Matt Gourley ep. It is one of my absolute favorite and I think it gets to the heart of their 'thing'. It's not like everyone has to love all the same things... well, I mean outside of Hollywood Handbook obviously.

• Like 3

As one who has listened a few times to HH and chuckled here and there but was never enthusiastic enough to become a consistent listener, I found this episode great, and laughed harder during the table read than I have in a few weeks. I think there is a definite link between the absurdist humor of Scotty Auks and Sean and Hayes'. I don't have a lot of space in my podcast schedule, but if I get some, the first place I'm going to is HH's other table reads for starters.

And, also, I honestly appreciate the fun the regular HH listeners have with their show. I know what it feels like to be passionate about a podcast I love.

I had the exact same experience as you. Have we been the same person this whole time?

• Like 1

This Sitwell guy's really riling me up right now. I'm gonna go for a walk to calm down

• Like 1

Don't let him get to you. The guy can't even grow his own hair

• Like 8

The "best of" episode they just released has 2 table reads (I haven't finished it yet so maybe another as well). I would also recommend the Paul Scheer episode, that probably has my favorite one.

• Like 1

Sean said farmy brat once before.

What you're calling in-jokes is what I'd say is just a manner of speaking in character. Like Traci Reardon's lisp, ALW's British-isms and altered pronunciations, Dalton Wilcox's "goddamn." I guess "Speak on that" is kind of a catchphrase but that isn't dissimilar to normal CBB characters.

Heck even Scott has stylish rhythms of speaking. "I've heard of ___ but ___!?" "I guess that ____ is, well, a bit of a ____"

• Like 6

If you're looking for a good first episode of Hollywood Handbook to try, check out the Pauly Shore episode. REALLY good episode. I know what you're thinking: isn't Pauly Shore an unfunny douchebag? EH... WRONG! He's actually very charming (and nice and funny and smart), and remember when he called Sean a homo?

• Like 6

u guys into memes?

thevoblex finally speaks!

• Like 1

Old town playhouse. Surrogate incest. Bug lord. There were like 20 bits per minute during the table read, my man (and none of them were HH callbacks).

• Like 1

If you're looking for a good first episode of Hollywood Handbook to try, check out the Pauly Shore episode. REALLY good episode. I know what you're thinking: isn't Pauly Shore an unfunny douchebag? EH... WRONG! He's actually very charming (and nice and funny and smart), and remember when he called Sean a homo?

You don't know what I'm thinking at all. I loved Bio-Dome.

• Like 1

The table read of the bedroom scene is possibly the most I've ever laughed at CBB. GOAT.

• Like 2