Sign in to follow this  
podcastage

Podcasting Gear Talk

I think it could be really beneficial to share podcast setups and hopefully learn from one another. Maybe someone is using a piece of gear that you haven't heard of that will help take your podcast to the next level. Lets get this discussion going.

Here's my podcast setup:

SM7b - Cloudlifter CL-1 - Zoom H6 - Logic Pro X

In the DAW I do as little manipulation as possible, basically a simple EQ and an adaptive limiter on the master chain to boost the master output.

What is your setup and how do you process your audio?

I'm currently using a Bronstein LM - 15 Lapel microphone that I use threw my Android phone. Programs I'm using right now are phone based. I'm not looking to edit til the end of the summer.

Any suggestions for editing programs? or a better mic that is adaptable to android? (The podcast i'm working on is quite mobile and therefore I need something that can move with both guests and myself.)

With that note. What do you think Kurt Braunohler uses for the "Get Lost" K Ohle episodes?

I think I'm gonna go with the Rode SmartLav. Any opinions on this mic?

For editing software: If you are running a Mac, then garageband will work fine for simple editing. It lacks a lot of the bells and whistles that Logic Pro has, but you should be able to get a perfectly fine mix out of GB. I also know a lot of folks use Audacity, mainly because it's free. There are a lot of tutorials out there to help you figure out exactly how to use it as well. So that's a huge bonus to that. My advice is, no matter what software you end up using, watch videos on youtube. It is insane how many tutorials are out there. Get as much out of youtube as you can.

I haven't used a smartphone Lav before, but a quick look on amazon and this mic looks to have the highest ratings and it is a little bit cheaper than the Rode Smartlav: http://amzn.to/1JYQi6g

As a disclaimer, I have not used any of these. I currently use an audiotechnica wireless lav for my video production and that requires an XLR or 1/4" cable. Good luck with the rest of your recording and I look forward to hearing the final product!