🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

19 Live Young, Die Fast

Funny or Die writer, filmmaker and friend Alex Richanbach stops by bro-bro studios to chat with Horatio and Chad about his independent film "We Are Young". In addition to the movie, the guys discuss a few traumatic events in their lives as well as the three esses on The Hooray Show: Star Wars, Star Trek and Sports. Horatio opens the show in defense of irony on twitter.

Oh no. I just saw the title/cover picture and having seen the Twitter this past week.... OOOHHH NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Good episode!

Also, I guess I have to do this?

HOORAY!

• Like 2

My streak of writing SHOW! in response has come to an end. -_-

So far, so great on this ep tho

For some reason I'm not seeing the podcast cover photo in iTunes. It hasn't shown up for a few weeks now.

I will be the end of no streaks sir! EDIT COMPLETE!

Hi everyone! Happy Hooray Show Wednesday!

I know I say this almost every week, but I love this episode. I think it is a good sign that the current episode is always my favorite. I'd like to think that means that we're improving as hosts and I am improving as the producer/editor.

I've also improved the way I am editing the shows in order to produce them more quickly and efficiently. One of the advantages to this is that we can keep the show more topical, something we would like to do. One of the drawbacks of this, temporarily, is that you hear a lot more of Horatio breathing into the mic. I used to go through and edit all of that out, a very time consuming process. I've tweeked the way I edit and mix to afford Horatio's (and in fairness, mine) breaths and coughs to be a more natural part of the sound of the room. There is no substitute to learning by doing. For example, I will never use our remote recorder without a windsock again.

We recorded the opening car bit yesterday morning because we wanted to discuss the Paul Walker issue directly. If you follow Rog on twitter, you probably saw the blow back we're referencing. We decided to use the car crash callback because Alex told me that was the first episode he listened to (A Better View) and when he heard the crash he was laughing so hard he had to pull over. So I put it in his episode twice (and added the train).

You should definitely buy and watch "We Are Young" - impressive - and Alex is definitely on the fast track that I reference in the show.

I will now take questions.... (if you have any)

Chad

Good episode!

Also, I guess I have to do this?

HOORAY!

That's funny, I was about to say "where the hell is Astronomical Cat"?!?! And then I saw they liked your post.

• Like 1

The camping story triggered flashbacks to a couple times I've seen guys, well, you know.

I hear tales of people who grow old, and in their final days relive moments from their past. I'm older and fear regaling loved ones from my deathbed, with stories about these guys, well, you know.

I just have one question. What deity did you sacrifice a child to for you to get to attend your first ever NHL game and it be the LONGEST GAME IN CHICAGO HISTORY? Seriously. You get to go to a conference championship game and it goes triple OT? That's nuts.

• Like 1

That's funny, I was about to say "where the hell is Astronomical Cat"?!?! And then I saw they liked your post.

Until I checked some previous threads, I didn't realize that it was always the same person doing it and not just whoever commented first. Didn't mean to step on any toes/paws!

True Story: I was up super early listening to this episode, and I came to the forums and saw nobody had said anything about the show yet. I considered posting "HOORAY!" but then I decided I didn't want to steal somebody else's bit. Another True Story: I originally started this post with "Fun Fact" instead of "True Story" but changed it when I realized that my fact was not particularly fun.

This episode was great, by the way. Though, is it weird that my favorite part is the tiny bit of "Detroit Rock City" thrown in at the very end?

• Like 2

I just have one question. What deity did you sacrifice a child to for you to get to attend your first ever NHL game and it be the LONGEST GAME IN CHICAGO HISTORY? Seriously. You get to go to a conference championship game and it goes triple OT? That's nuts.

You will just have to trust, that I paid a huge karmic penalty that day. But yeah, that was amazeballs.

This episode was great, by the way. Though, is it weird that my favorite part is the tiny bit of "Detroit Rock City" thrown in at the very end?

Late Monday night, Horatio and I were listening to the show and we had yet to come up with the cold open and I said "Well, Alex really liked the car crash from episode 5 and since you were watching his movie in the car, why don't we do that, and then we can tie it in with the Paul Walker twitter war." Good idea right? Well... Horatio comes back down to the basement about an hour later with this youtube video of KISS and he plays the audio of it for me, and it's basically a video about two kids getting into a car accident on the way to driving to a KISS show, and Gene Simmons plays the newscaster. SOOOO.... we were going to have Gene Simmons as the newscaster announcing our deaths in the car crash, but then the whole thing was too long, too dark and I doubt anyone would have known that it was Gene Simmons doing the v/o. So THEN...... part of the video was that song that goes into the sfx of a car accident, to which Horatio said... "close the show with that, but add YOUR accident fx and then we're done" - and quite honestly, I was way too tired at that point to argue with him and say "I don't get it..."

So now you know the rest of the story.

• Like 1

Totally misread your post the first time. HA! I will have to tell Horatio that someone said that was their favorite part. He will probably give me a big "SEE! TOLD YOU SO!"

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this