🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 110.5 — Minisode 110.5

Next week we will cover the first film of one of the mega stars of all time, Arnold Strong. This week Paul shares a listener’s dream cast for The Island of Dr. Moreau as he goes through Corrections and Omissions, explains whether Nicolas Cage would have made Dr. Moreau better, and recommends Mad Max in another edition of Scheer’s Picks. Plus, find out which font you should use for your resume from now on as Paul answers your Qs!

People of the internet: Check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and ScheeRL on YouTube here:

Is this just me?

When I watch Scheer-RL and compare it to the corresponding TRL episode, the Scheer-RL version matches my memory of the event better than the actual version.

• Like 1

I would also like to wholeheartedly endorse 'What We Do In The Shadows.' It's so consistently hilarious and manages to do new things with both the mockumentary and vampire genres, which is pretty remarkable. <3

• Like 2

I would also like to wholeheartedly endorse 'What We Do In The Shadows.' It's so consistently hilarious and manages to do new things with both the mockumentary and vampire genres, which is pretty remarkable. <3

It was so great how cleverly they addressed vampire lore-like not being able to get into nightclubs unless the bouncer invites them in. Like most everything Jemaine Clement is involved in (except maybe Dinner For Schmucks), it's really funny and charming.

On the subject of this week's movie, after hearing Paul's setup and the trailer, I get the feeling that this is a movie I could geniuinely enjoy.

Though my slight confusion lies in Paul saying it's on Netflix before the trailer, but then saying we'd have to get it on iTunes...anyone know if it's by any chance streaming on Netflix right now?

• Like 2

Though my slight confusion lies in Paul saying it's on Netflix before the trailer, but then saying we'd have to get it on iTunes...anyone know if it's by any chance streaming on Netflix right now?

Yeah, it's on Netflix. I think he was just giving alternatives.

Yeah, it's on Netflix. I think he was just giving alternatives.

Thank ya kindly!

• Like 1

Wow! Hercules in New York? I think I own a terrible DVD copy of the dubbed version.

I think the first movie I saw, where I realised movies could be bad, was Alien Resurrection.

I was so pumped to see that and remember being really bummed out watching it.

I am Hercules, son of JhKhD1k.png

• Like 3

I have got to say, I am really really enjoying the bouzouki soundtrack to this film.

• Like 1

Oh man I have to admit that I got super excited that I got a correction/omission in and won this week! Am I podcast famous now!?

Also I'm mad overly excited that y'all decided to break the rule of no movies before 1980 for this! Let the terribleness commence!

• Like 2

I can't wait to watch Hercules sometime this week, I've never seen it. Also, my favorite Scheer-RL so far was Kumail Nanjiani as Mariah Carey... I recommend it to everyone.

• Like 2

I honestly think that Island of Dr. Moreau would have been a better movie if John Frankenheimer and Nicolas Cage had gone out into the jungles and had Cage perform every role separately and then cut them together Nutty Professor style.

It was so great how cleverly they addressed vampire lore-like not being able to get into nightclubs unless the bouncer invites them in. Like most everything Jemaine Clement is involved in (except maybe Dinner For Schmucks), it's really funny and charming.

If i could slobber over What We Do in the Shadows even more... just the amount of detail that the movie utilizes is astounding, from the costumes that each vampire wears, with a fashion sense frozen at the time they were turned, to the fucking original woodcuts and art incorporating the casts' images into the work. I even hesitate to call the film "partially improvised' because the amount of work that went into every frame before shooting clearly eclipses most comedies in which every gag and joke was predetermined months before.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that it wasn't an original trailer for the film that Paul played, what with the mentions of Conan and everything, and right after the Arnold Strong talk. Speaking of young Schwarzenegger, I remember him saying that he bought his apartment building or something like that once he really started to make money. Could you fucking believe having Arnold as your landlord? Holy shit! My neighbors are total assholes though, so I think I'd actually kind of appreciate having a landlord that could turn that junkie into a big ol' puddle of murder sauce.

• Like 1

So so happy the Netflix version has Ahnuld's original voice, instead of being dubbed.

That being said, I'm 2 minutes in and may need to turn on subtitles.

Last note: loving this lute Greek folk jam over the opening credits!

• Like 1

What really hit me about the movie was the one track of Italian music that played the whole time. Can't wait for the team to shit on that during the actual episode.

you know when you fall asleep watching a DVD and wake up to the DVD menu soundtrack on loop infiltrating your dreams until you wake up in what feels like an altered state?

I feel asleep while watching this (drunk?) on Netflix and whatever "Greek" soundtrack it's got going on definitely had the same effect on me.

• Like 1

What really hit me about the movie was the one track of Italian music that played the whole time. Can't wait for the team to shit on that during the actual episode.

It's Greek. Like Zouks.

The soundtrack to Hercules in NYC is basically the soundtrack to Zorba The Greek and I am a-ok with that:

• Like 1

I really hope they dive into how Zeus is basically just a really shitty and abusive dad.

• Like 2

Hercules fighting the bear in Central Park should be it's own movie!

I thought the police dispatch was the best part, "take caution - known to be SURLY and DANGEROUS!" :o

• Like 1

I thought the police dispatch was the best part, "take caution - known to be SURLY and DANGEROUS!" :o

They also called it a 600-pound grizzly bear, when the sign that they deliberately focused on said European Brown Bear.

Just finished watching...wow. Simply...Incredible!

Thumbs up!

1999042-hercules____thumbs_up_01.jpg

• Like 3

This movie is amazing.

"Pretzie" is basically Moe Szyslak's "WHAAAT?!" granted human form.

• Like 4

Pretzie and the bear scene alone justify watching this movie.

Just make sure you're doing something else at the same time, god forbid you give this movie your full attention for 90+ minutes. Be ironing or playing video games or something, then just turn your head for the good stuff. Pretzie's face counts as 'good stuff'.

I really hope they dive into how Zeus is basically just a really shitty and abusive dad.

A strange mix of shitty abusive + indecisive pushover.

Sign in to follow this