🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 9 - The Annual Ghost Sex Convention

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes ye, ye, and even little ye back to Spontaneanation! This week he is joined by special guest Michael Sheen of Masters of Sex! They chat about what animal Michael would save from extinction, tricking his sister into thinking he could speak Welsh, and the practice of dodo kicking. Paul is then joined by improvisers James Bladon, Sarah Burns and Mark McConville to improvise a story set during the Annual Ghost Sex Convention in Las Vegas. As always, the magnificent Eban Schletter scores it all on piano. Have you met any five-year-old boys named Scatman? You're about to!

best location suggestion yet

• Like 3

"You have to speak up."

am i a bad person for laughing as much as I did at that?

• Like 2

This episode loves chemicals so much it's like a regular Walter White over there.

So good. Loved the Scatmans. Scatmen? The father and son who share the name Scatman.

• Like 3

Surely, among the throng of SPONTANEANATION listeners, there must be someone illustrating The Harrowing Adventures of Mitch and Delores? 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.

• Like 4

This felt like the sloppiest episode yet, but almost every instance of that was a net positive. One exception - No one picking up on Sarah's "The Shine"/Scatman Crothers reference. Michael Sheen is the best. The Frankie Valli commercial was so good.

Also, speaking of comic references, did anyone else think that Paul would bring up Marvel's Collector when Michael was talking about that Bohemian king and his dodo?

• Like 5

I'm guessing the only reason no one busted out then into "I'm the Scatman" was to avoid stumbling and looking foolish.

• Like 1

To echo Kickpuncher, THE WOMAN SAID THE BOY CAN SHINE PAUL! Jeez.

• Like 1

Everything after the Scatman joke had me rolling. I'm hurting, and in the best way possible. Well done everyone. Well done Jimmy Blades. More Scatman (Jr) on future Superego, please. I love him so much.

This felt like the sloppiest episode yet, but almost every instance of that was a net positive. One exception - No one picking up on Sarah's "The Shine"/Scatman Crothers reference. Michael Sheen is the best. The Frankie Valli commercial was so good.

Also, speaking of comic references, did anyone else think that Paul would bring up Marvel's Collector when Michael was talking about that Bohemian king and his dodo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6oXW_YiV6g

• Like 1

James "Jimmy Blades" Bladon does a pretty great Alec Guinness / Obi-Wan Kenobi impression. Shame he didn't pull that out for the ghost sex convention.

You know he was already on the TV show, right?

Dream Tyme video of the Baker St. discussion, with bonus part including Paul's uproarious laughter at Sarah's deaf magician:

• Like 5

The Dodo: God's Most Kickable Creature

dodo.jpg

...just look at that ribcage

• Like 7

Fantastic, Kickpuncher.

In case it wasn't clear, I didn't make that, but yes, it is fantastic!

• Like 1

Currently listening to this and if no-one picks up on Eban Schletter playing the solo for Baker Street while they're talking about it in the pre-amble then I will go crazy. He's making it even more perfect than it already is.

• Like 6

Currently listening to this and if no-one picks up on Eban Schletter playing the solo for Baker Street while they're talking about it in the pre-amble then I will go crazy. He's making it even more perfect than it already is.

I caught that for sure! You know why Eban was able to do that, right? (he's simply the best)

• Like 6

Adam Scott!?!?

It's uncanny! The photo it seems to be based on is the only one I can find where he looks even slightly like Scott, but the drawing looks exactly like him.

It's uncanny! The photo it seems to be based on is the only one I can find where he looks even slightly like Scott, but the drawing looks exactly like him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3wm7ZvB_a8

This rabbit hole goes deeper than anyone could have imagined.

• Like 7

This episode was perfection back to front (especially with all the awesome 'sloppiness' noted above and the perfection/charm of Michael Sheen)...but the one thing I can't stop marvelling at is the absolute brilliance of Scatman's throwaway Mrs. Muir reference. A deep cut but goddamn glorious.

Surely, among the throng of SPONTANEANATION listeners, there must be someone illustrating The Harrowing Adventures of Mitch and Delores? 'Tis a consummation devoutly to be wished.

Seconded! Each new hair-raising scenario is better than the last:

"Wait. Mitch, how are you getting WiFi here?"

"I'll never tell."

"Weird, Mitch. Weird and vindictive."

• Like 4

I didn't think a guest interview would make me laugh harder than Melanie Lynskey's interview, but Michael Sheen just jumped right into this one in a way that no guest has yet. He got into the spirit and did a good job of tying his interview into the monologue, and he gave the improv scene a ton to work with. I can't even pick a favorite part of this episode; I thought every second was golden.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this