🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 85 — David Letterman, Our Close Friend

Well Just Add Pepper, looks like you've stirred up some juicy controversy, I hope you're happy!

fruitfight.png

• Like 8

really good detail on the teeth

Edit: ok so right now I'm listening to that RSS ep with sean's old friend, that true story about sean getting j/o'd by his teacher's wife at the louvre is bonkers

• Like 8

I listened to this episode and it was good. I liked Hayes' story about the dust storms after FDR because it was relatable.

I hope all the americans had a nice memorial day, and all the non-american had a nice regular day.

• Like 5

At first Letterman was team Cantaloupe:

l41lIuIuWy7Rv8pIA.gif

But then he was all like:

3o85xtb7e08KpYZJJK.gif

America just wanted him to pick a side. I guess that's why they gave the show to Colbert.

• Like 13

Hollywood Handbook Podcast Review for 26 May 2015: Episode 85 -- David Letterman, Our Close Friend. (Featuring Will Hines)

Hollywood is a big town, not big geographically but big in terms of talent. You can walk down a street and you'd be just as likely to find the next Darth Vader or Brewster from Brewster's Millions as you would be to find a street vendor selling hot dogs or fruit in a cart that has been sitting out in the sun for a few hours. Perhaps no one better encapsulates the next Darth Vader more than the hosts of the Hollywood Handbook podcast, Sean Clements and Hayes Davenport. These two boys have a great rapport and the chemistry between them is better than one might find in an old Bounder RV inhabited by Walter White and Jesse Pinkman. However, these two hosts aren't breaking bad, they're breaking the mold; the comedy mold. The Hollywood Handbook podcast represents a dynamic shift in the "status-quo" of Hollywood big wigs and brings those sitting in their ivory towers down to earth. Yes, Hayes and Sean may indeed be persona non grata after they get finished taking their swings at all the Hollywood elite because much like King Hippo in Punch-Out, they do not hold back or pull punches on the pristine glow of the precious Hollywood darlings.This week, with Chris Kyle levels of pinpoint accuracy, they set David Letterman in their scopes and bring along noted comedy rogue Will Hines to help mete out justice on the former king of late night TV. Indeed, Dave could be compared to Ned Stark on his knees at the Sept of Baelor where Sean and Hayes, like Joffrey Baratheon and Cersei Lannister, sit back in glee as Ser Ilyn Payne, here portrayed by Mr. Hines, comes in to deliver the killing blow. Are we the audience like Sansa Stark, shouting for mercy for our beloved "father" of comedy or more of the devious and cunning Lord Petyr Baelish who smirks in approval but dare not show outright enthusiasm for the proceedings? One thing is for sure, there is a riot happening here but not like you'd find in Baltimore, no, Hollywood Handbook is a laugh riot and both Sean and Hayes are the riot guards pepper spraying us with jokes and jests. As an added treat, there is a special cameo by the famous improv comedy troupe, Wild Horses and these mares certainly don't mar the show but rather add more! Like any good podcast, I was entertained and left wanting more like I was a child leaving the buffet after only one plate.

Hollywood Handbook: A+

reviewed by Joe McGurl

Submitted for approval by the A.V. Club Podmass

7/10 - No fence handjobs

• Like 13

Anyone else bummed the fuck out that Sean and Hayes weren't on Comedy Bam Bam this week? I would've loved hearing Sean and Nik Schwartzen talk about how much fun they had writing Hateful 8.

• Like 5

Dear Andy,

Please thank your dad for The Princess Bride, I saw it for the first time yesterday when I was sick in bed!

(This is a true statement!)

Sincerely,

Silly Lilly

He says you truly are silly for not watching his good movie sooner

Sorry, I told him to not be so negative but he's making me type this

• Like 15

Marc Macaroni is my favorite part of this whole episode, which is so stupid but I love it and can't look at his face without thinking of that name (I look at Marc's face a few times per hour throughout my day). Glad to see someone as spunky as Lapkus joining in on the fun, remembering someone as spunky as the late Dave. Thanks Dave, rest in late night peace.

• Like 6

Did I actually get first comment?

So to finally be accepted as a member of the Hollywood Handbook community all I have to do is be first? Challenge accepted.....

• Like 1

Rock solid episode this week. The Dave memories were wistful and lovely and the cameo was a nice change of pace.

I hope a Cloverfield doesn't attack NYC while Hayes is there but if ever there was a time for it to happen you'd probably want a strong guy like Hayes around to deal with it.

I worry that I post too many pictures and don't let my mask slip and reveal my true psyche to all of you but this one was tooooo good not to post:

EBAaccR.jpg

I was going to make a classic joke along the lines of "If there's a 69 going on, you better have a power reserve!!!!" but then I realised it would be too crass for a sophisticated, debonair forum like this.

• Like 13

Chanson was that Male Rights Activists thing a reference to you? Have you seen Mad Max?

• Like 14

What a neat program. I'm thoroughly enjoying this comedic offering.

Yours,

Josh

• Like 18

I was afraid that Mitchel Crombin wasn't going to have album

So I guess Michael Crichton have album at some point

• Like 2

MCIII is actually a great album. I was disappointed in the reviews by pitchfork among others, I'd say it's a solid 8 out of 10 and within my top 10 of the year thus far. good job mickey cro-cro, really making a name for Gojira records

• Like 3

Remember the drum thing

How he likes drums a lot and wants to know if you rented them

• Like 11

So to finally be accepted as a member of the Hollywood Handbook community all I have to do is be first? Challenge accepted.....

No that's almost definitely not the way to do it

• Like 17

No that's almost definitely not the way to do it

Like the old adage says, 'First is the worst, second is the best."

• Like 8

I loved them calling him "Dave" the whole episode and then Sean's reaction when Lapkus wanted to clarify that they were talking about Letterman.

"mmmmMMMM YES"

• Like 9

I loved them calling him "Dave" the whole episode and then Sean's reaction when Lapkus wanted to clarify that they were talking about Letterman.

"mmmmMMMM YES"

i really need a supercut of every time sean does the mmmmmMMMMMMMMM

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the new Rotten Tomatoes P-Cast on Wolf Cool. Based on their review I saw Mad Max. Oh boy! What a feelm.

I really think Sean and Hayes did a great job on the top ten list. I wouldn't be against it becoming a regular segment.

• Like 4

I want to give a top 10 list as to why I like the Hollywood Handbook forum

10. I have gotten a bunch of likes on my "photoshops" which are quite clearly done on Microsoft Paint.

9. The everlasting hope I feel that I will eventually get the Pro Version

9. Sillylillyquee's beautiful drawings

9. The fact that I often side with SteveH even though I'm pretty convinced he's on his way to becoming a supervillain.

9. The amazing stories by the forum elders, I haven't been included in one yet but I know my day will come.

5. I am way more respected than "Hayes N Sean".

4. "Great first post"

3. Discovering more about Chanson every day.

2. The brilliance of Dixon gifs

And the number 3 reason why I like the Hollywood Handbook forum is....

3. Sean or Hayes finally gave me a like on this post???? (please, please, please be true)

• Like 22

Begging for a Sean or Hayes like is no way to go about getting it. You gotta act cool and nonchalant like you could totally do without their likes. That's when they'll come running, scrambling over each other to be the first one to like your post only to be beaten out by JMonsterface indiscriminately liking everything.

• Like 12