🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

20 Kattan's in the Cradle

Horatio Sanz' SNL castmate, and first guest of The Hooray Show Chris Kattan returns to Bro Bro studios on a late Sunday night to help us celebrate the twentieth episode. Hooray Show regular, Joseph Nunez, happens to be doing his laundry in the house and gets us started while Chris is temporarily kept from the studio by forces that want the Hooray Show dead. Horatio and Chris soon dive deep into their lives on SNL, their favorite castmates and ensemble members, cut scenes, and must hear inside stories about the process of the show. Also, the proper way to make lemonade is discussed.

Chaddychoo!

Eat'em and Smile Tour! Saw it August 1986 in Wichita KS. Oof!

Was stationed in Kansas at the time, just got out of the field, and had poison ivy infection in my bikini region. My manhood was swollen to the size of a cantaloupe. But it's Kansas, and we're starved for entertainment, so we went to show anyways.

Cinderella opened, if I remember correctly. Typical hairspray metal band, glad when they were done.

Steve Vai was David Lee Roth's guitarist and he did a great job. DLR did his usual antics, lots of time spent offstage doing costume changes, Steve Vai would play riffs from his own Flexable solo albums (I'm sure nobody but me recognized when Steve played "Little Green Men") during the costume changes.

Somewhere I have a picture of a friend wearing a concert T, from that concert. I think I threw all my clothes away because of the infection. Yeah, my PTSD from my army days is all about DLR concerts & poison ivy. #neverforget

• Like 2

Chaddychoo!

Eat'em and Smile Tour! Saw it August 1986 in Wichita KS. Oof!

Was stationed in Kansas at the time, just got out of the field, and had poison ivy infection in my bikini region. My manhood was swollen to the size of a cantaloupe. But it's Kansas, and we're starved for entertainment, so we went to show anyways.

Cinderella opened, if I remember correctly. Typical hairspray metal band, glad when they were done.

Steve Vai was David Lee Roth's guitarist and he did a great job. DLR did his usual antics, lots of time spent offstage doing costume changes, Steve Vai would play riffs from his own Flexable solo albums (I'm sure nobody but me recognized when Steve played "Little Green Men") during the costume changes.

Somewhere I have a picture of a friend wearing a concert T, from that concert. I think I threw all my clothes away because of the infection. Yeah, my PTSD from my army days is all about DLR concerts & poison ivy. #neverforget

My brother from another mother!!!!

Mine was Brown County Arena, Green Bay Wisconsin, Tesla opened. DLR's lineup for that band was Vai, Greg Bisonette and Billy Sheehan. I remember that because that was, at the time the greatest assemblage of rock musicians I had ever seen in my life.

But I want to talk about Tesla. I accidentally have seen them more than any other band except for Phish (and maybe Ween). In the late 80's, Tesla opened up for EVERYONE in Wisconsin. I distinctly remember them marketing themselves as the "last t-shirt and blue jeans rock and roll band" - they rejected the makeup and glam of what everyone else was doing and I always loved that about them.

And now that I look back,,, i think my PTSD is from Steve Vai's crushing guitar solo that night... and yes, I did recognize his solo stuff as well, that was my wheelhouse in the late 80s. Him, Randy Rhodes, Yngwie and Satriani were gods to me, and I was a piano player.

• Like 1

Wow for a piano guy, you really followed quite the stable of guitar shredders!

By 1986 SPIN & Rolling Stone mags were pushing college-alternative, so I migrated away from metal. There are only three music acts I've seen more than once, Jane's Addiction, Ziggy Marley, and a third which I shamefully will not reveal.

Ziggy the 2nd time was incidental, I was visiting friends a Penn State, and on the other end of a pond I heard the song "Lee & Molly" so I said "who would THINK to cover Ziggy's song?" Of course the student bodies around me replied, "you duma$$, that is Ziggy Marley!" How out of it was I? I didn't even know my friends had taken me to a concert.

Taking my daughter to see chillwave group Tycho next month. I imagine by the time she's 16, she'll scream at me, "my first concert was chillwave, why didn't you take me to see Nicki Minaj? You're the worst dad ever!"

Kattan seemed like he was up for anything, and had a lot of stories. Hope he is on again, because he has been off the radar way too long. And I can't understand why he would almost break character when on live TV a woman is spitting food into his mouth. Magical stuff.

I'm surprised there's not more comments. Best episode yet. Kattan has such delightfully weird energy.

• Like 2

I am completely in love with the production of this show! Whatever you're doing Chad, keep it up, it's fantastic. It is reminiscent of the production of two of my favorite bands, Please Inform the Captain, This is a Hijack and Baader Brains. Both were Bay Area punk/hardcore outfits, but so much more. Their records were interspersed with samples from old/obscure movies, usually played over top of funk or dance-y music, but, like this show, it was all completely seamless. The main force behind both bands, Sarah Kirsch, passed a few years ago, which was a huge bummer because she was so wildly talented and I've really missed her style of putting a record together. I am so happy to have this podcast because it is similar in the amount of care Chad is putting into this show, as well as its seamlessness.

With that said, this show is wonderful. Thank you for all the laughs!

• Like 3

I am completely in love with the production of this show! Whatever you're doing Chad, keep it up, it's fantastic. It is reminiscent of the production of two of my favorite bands, Please Inform the Captain, This is a Hijack and Baader Brains. Both were Bay Area punk/hardcore outfits, but so much more. Their records were interspersed with samples from old/obscure movies, usually played over top of funk or dance-y music, but, like this show, it was all completely seamless. The main force behind both bands, Sarah Kirsch, passed a few years ago, which was a huge bummer because she was so wildly talented and I've really missed her style of putting a record together. I am so happy to have this podcast because it is similar in the amount of care Chad is putting into this show, as well as its seamlessness.

Thanks Nathan! That is so great to hear, and I will definitely check out your Sarah's bands. If you haven't listened already, two of the episodes that may speak to your tastes are Episode X: Trouble With Boys with David Bazan - all of the music in that show is his and really ramps the show up to me in an emotional way. And right now I am particularly fond of Cayendo.

Thanks for listening, and spread the word!

total second on the production. all the little audio snippets are fucking perfect.

also, kattan's Prissy impersonation was so good i cackled.

Sign in to follow this