🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 189 — Apes Will Fight If We Must

Obviously I can't speak for Matt, but I have a feeling that he's perfectly happy to have someone figure it out and discuss it in here.

And while I'm trying to get into Besser's head, does anyone else find it funny that this is the second time he's likened himself to a character from a dystopic sci-fi movie?

Anyway, great episode!

Matty B runs Barter Town and Planet of the Apes!

• Like 5

would love to see the milk video described in the show

• Like 1

Doug Levison is a visionary warrior poet and all naysayers and detractors have failed.

• Like 4

I loved the scene with the wacky trailers for Biblical movies.

DON'T BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH! Dinna dinna dinidinidini dinna!

I also tend to zone out during Doug's call-in segments. Sorry, souprman.

• Like 5

And while I'm trying to get into Besser's head, does anyone else find it funny that this is the second time he's likened himself to a character from a dystopic sci-fi movie?

At least this time he's the hero.

So glad I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for the first time just last weekend, what a lucky coincidence.

• Like 1

No, when Matt asked Doug about levitating, Doug said it's not full flight, it's hopping. He's talking about

, which is pretty funny to see in practice. This might be a good video to show on I4H.

There was a federal political party in Canada in the 90s, the Natural Law Party, that espoused yogic flying. That's how I know about it.

Unfortunately it seems Doug may have been indoctrinated into a cult, not entirely dissimilar from the aforementioned Scientology. http://www.suggestibility.org/ (The Natural Law Party is also a branch of the TM organization.)

• Like 1

I like when Matt pulls back the curtain and gives and insider look into the world of improv and its politics, I just wish that somewhere in this episode Matt talked a little more about what this guy has been saying about UCB. I respect Matt's decision to preserve this guys privacy, cause fans of this show would probably harass the shit out of the him, but it kind of frustrated me that no one explained how this guy's style of improv differs from what they teach at UCB.

• Like 3

I like when Matt pulls back the curtain and gives and insider look into the world of improv and its politics, I just wish that somewhere in this episode Matt talked a little more about what this guy has been saying about UCB. I respect Matt's decision to preserve this guys privacy, cause fans of this show would probably harass the shit out of the him, but it kind of frustrated me that no one explained how this guy's style of improv differs from what they teach at UCB.

It doesn't really matter what this guy says or what he might do different, it's similar enough for Besser to consider him another Ape. He played the clip of the guy saying he got nothing out of a UCB show to give it some context. He also mentioned his own experience doing improv with the guy. Refer to I4H #189 for more details.

• Like 4

Best. Episode. I would like to take this time to volunteer to be on that 8 person team. :)

If I'm guessing, I'd say that it's because this guy sticks more to Chicago-style improv as opposed to the UCB style which is more focused on finding the game of the scene. A lot of people in improv have a real thing about wanting improv to be more about drama than comedy, I think because they're so into the "scene"(ugh) of improv that they want something different, the problem with that is that anyone who hasn't taken a bunch of improv classes and knows all the rules and whatnot finds it boring as shit.

The great thing about UCB improv is that they have stripped everything down so you just get to the funny as quick as possible.

• Like 5

If I'm guessing, I'd say that it's because this guy sticks more to Chicago-style improv as opposed to the UCB style which is more focused on finding the game of the scene. A lot of people in improv have a real thing about wanting improv to be more about drama than comedy, I think because they're so into the "scene"(ugh) of improv that they want something different, the problem with that is that anyone who hasn't taken a bunch of improv classes and knows all the rules and whatnot finds it boring as shit.

The great thing about UCB improv is that they have stripped everything down so you just get to the funny as quick as possible.

Great post if your into the less sarcastic more even tempered sort of thing.

• Like 3

This guy is the reason most people shit on improv comedy. It's all cheap jokes and bad accents that don't build a scene or any characters, despite his profound bullshit spewing on his podcast. He doesn't build drama. He doesn't create comedy, either. The closest comparison I cand raw after seeing his work is that this guys is like if an intern from Who's Line is it Anyway decided to throw himself headfirst into long form with no experience after seeing Colin Mockery do a goofy flamboyant accent with Wayne Brady I saw better improv in the 101 college course I took freshman year. Its fucking atrocious. Honestly, I'm gonna harass this shitbag for all its worth.

• Like 2

Apes SHOULD fight if they have to.

bring Besser the head of David Razowsky

just google ADD comedy podcast

Razowsky was in Ireland a month or so ago and I did a two day workshop with him. Given that improv (especially long form) is a relatively new fangled thing over here, we jump at the chance to get some time with any travelling improvisers.

In terms of schools, he did mention UCB, iO and some others briefly. He did make a point of mentioning how uninterested he was in "game" and persuing that in improv (at least for the workshop anyway).

I enjoyed the workshop, and took what I needed from it, in the same way one would when you get different disciplines of improv coming through your part of the world infrequently. There's no full time/intensive schools or courses here to get really "into it", as it were.

I now wish I had discussed UCB with him a bit more, and will be sure to ask if he comes back, which he may do.

• Like 6

On a side note, anyone hear Jay Mohr's podcast a couple of weeks back when he started talking shit about the guy he was on Comedy Bang Bang with. He couldn't remember who it was. It was Besser. How disconnected is Jay Mohr that he can't remember Matt Besser? It's Matt Besser.

• Like 8

My two cents are a) I agree with Matt and b ) I don't think this makes for a good podcast. I respect Matt for doing his thing but as a listener this was not a lot of fun (other than Matt's exasperation at Doug's advice.)

No, I would not fare well in the Confrontation Corner, and yes, it's free and I don't have to listen.

Oh crazy. I'm going on an improv retreat with my theater next weekend and David Razowsky's actually going to be teaching a workshop or two there... *rubs chin* Kinda disappointing to find out the personality of this guy.

Apes SHOULD fight if they have to.

bring Besser the head of David Razowsky

Thank you for settling that! But I won't be going off to hassle or criticise the guy - but I will see what he has to say for himself. Cheers!

I loved this episode and I have no idea what the Improv controversy is, don't really care b/c this is my favortite podcast

Also, I get the feeling Doug has read way too many youtube comments under that trumpet video lol

EDIT: Now that I read through the topic I'm seeing a lot of hate towards Doug and I don't really get it, I think his interview was entertaining even if you don't agree with him. I was listening to Duncan Trussel's podcast when the "Angry Trumpet Guy" video went viral and he went on for 30 minutes bashing the guy (he even named him the New York Hell Troll) and it was admitedly hilarious. But I think Matt Besser immediately siding with Doug and giving him a platform to speak has been infinitely more entertaining.

• Like 6

If you listen to the A.D.D. comedy podcast with David Razowsky go to the episode where he interviews Ptolemy Slocum and skip to 53:00. That is the clip in the show with a little preamble.

Now, having listened, I can say that it's like an episode of Hollywood Handbook with absolutely no self awareness.

"I would fucking pay to watch that guy eat lunch!" when talking about David Pasquesi. The idea that, "why should I learn in stages? Why can't you just learn all of it at once? With their rules and bag of tricks!"

It's like being trapped with two coked up guys who are convinced that they are on the verge of some profound truth and something fucking real, bro!

It's ultimately quite saddening to listen to.

GZ

• Like 7

That Tumpet Guy is a PAIN to listen to. What a waste of time.

If I find someone annoying on a podcast, I try to find enjoyment in another part. Like Matt getting totally exasperated at the long-winded advice and examples totally made me crack up. That said, I think Doug is entertaining as he is a totally unique character, and I liked how he tried to glaze over that he can levitate 2 feet.

• Like 2

Loved the episode - these three are some of my favorite improvisers and they did a great job playing off each other. I kind of want to see the movie where the humans realize they were being dicks and just make friends with the monkeys and everyone hangs out and eats bananas and shit.

The Guy In Question represents pretty much everything I hate with theater training. The clip souprman linked is a perfect example of his style of speaking - he rambles on and on and talks in circles and says a lot of words, but the meaning doesn't really have much substance and is hard to pin down. It's the kind of language and speaking style that might catch the attention of a young and impressionable actor because it all SOUNDS deep and intelligent, but I really couldn't glean any useful knowledge from what he was saying. His using terminology like "kindred spirit" didn't help either.

Really, my issue with what he's doing is when he chooses to criticize someone else's process as being "fake" or "not real", like he does with The UCB and Groundlings. He seems to take great pride in describing what he does as the right (and only) path to be a truly successful actor or improviser and that really grates on me. One of the very first things I was taught was that there was no wrong way to act - as long as you can meet the standards set by yourself and your director (or just your director, if they're one of those), get to that place any way you want. One of my professors was always keen on quoting Harrison Ford, who said in an interview that he's from the "let’s-pretend school of acting". I don't find a spirituality in acting - I'm there to do a job, and if I succeed in realistically portraying a character or entertaining the audience then fuck off and let me do it the way I want to do it.

Ultimately, his podcast conversations come off as ramblings of someone who has failed to make a career being a professional entertainer (which, to be fair, is by no means easy, regardless of talent) and instead of admitting it, has chosen to take the path of "well I'm above the system anyway - they don't understand what I'm trying to do." It is sad and frustrating to hear him and his guests bash other people who want structure in their approach while also making zero sense.

And hey - maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe he truly does just want to do his style of improv and teach classes. Maybe he has students that understand what the hell he's saying and become better actors.

But dude. Shut the fuck up about other people. That gets you nothing but the ire of your peers, some of whom may be more respected and influential than you.

Also I hope the B in Matty B. stands for Beatbox.

• Like 9