🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 189 — Apes Will Fight If We Must

On a side note, anyone hear Jay Mohr's podcast a couple of weeks back when he started talking shit about the guy he was on Comedy Bang Bang with. He couldn't remember who it was. It was Besser. How disconnected is Jay Mohr that he can't remember Matt Besser? It's Matt Besser.

Jay Mohr is one of those guys in a castle tower like dane cook and carrot top. They go on about how they're cool and a lone wolf, but it's really b/c other comedians hate/shun them.

• Like 1

Just treat Doug the angry trumpet guy as another absurd improv character. I don't see why he pisses people off.

• Like 3

I hope this is the start of a Warriors-style gang war between the UCB and other LA improv schools.

Ratzo, come out to plaaay-aaayy!

• Like 5

On a side note, anyone hear Jay Mohr's podcast a couple of weeks back when he started talking shit about the guy he was on Comedy Bang Bang with. He couldn't remember who it was. It was Besser. How disconnected is Jay Mohr that he can't remember Matt Besser? It's Matt Besser.

What was his problem? I know Matt Besser complained about having to be on that CBB ep with Jay Mohr. And am I crazy or did Jay Mohr say that he listens to/is a fan of I4H? (possibly on that CBB ep) So he'd definitely know who Matt Besser is.

edit: Yeah, Besser's character plugs I4H and Mohr says "Love that podcast! Can you get me on that?"

• Like 1

Jay Mohr is one of those guys in a castle tower like dane cook and carrot top. They go on about how they're cool and a lone wolf, but it's really b/c other comedians hate/shun them.

What was his problem? I know Matt Besser complained about having to be on that CBB ep with Jay Mohr. And am I crazy or did Jay Mohr say that he listens to/is a fan of I4H? (possibly on that CBB ep) So he'd definitely know who Matt Besser is.

edit: Yeah, Besser's character plugs I4H and Mohr says "Love that podcast! Can you get me on that?"

Jay Mohr makes it impossible to like Jay Mohr without a few qualifications. I think Marc Marone is one of the only guys out there who can pull off the bitter and jealous routine and not just look sad. Of course Marc cops to it, Jay just seems like he's getting off on being shitty. It's a joke with pretty significant diminishing returns.

• Like 4

Razowsky is painful to watch. Made some valid points about improv, but that class looks more like a really bad one man show.

And it has the suggestion to "watch the full class". Oh boy.

• Like 2

Really? I have no plans on downloading his podcast, but any summary of what was said? From what I remember, I was surprised by how willing Jay went along with everything, and I feel like the message board kind of felt the same way.

• Like 1

Razowsky is painful to watch. Made some valid points about improv, but that class looks more like a really bad one man show.

And it has the suggestion to "watch the full class". Oh boy.

The awesome part was the awkward student/audience reaction shots."This is where we laugh and nod right?"

• Like 3

Also, I love when I think, "This will probably be wrapping up soon," and see another fifty minutes on the time stamp. You're too good to us, i4h.

• Like 4

Really? I have no plans on downloading his podcast, but any summary of what was said? From what I remember, I was surprised by how willing Jay went along with everything, and I feel like the message board kind of felt the same way.

It was a weird episode. I actually kind of liked Jay at one point, but he seems more and more bitter. He went nuts about Doug Stanhope during this one too.

To summarize, he talked about going on CBB and how there was 'some guy' there doing a shitty bit about looking at pictures on his phone of his baby and that he felt like he got frozen out like they didn't want him there. "But wait, I'm the guest. I could just leave you to die on the vine with your shitty premise." Legit seemed like he couldn't remember that it was Besser he was with.

About 1 hour, 15 minutes in.

http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=331&pid=507840#.VV8hcn2cVgQ.twitter

• Like 2

It was a weird episode. I actually kind of liked Jay at one point, but he seems more and more bitter. He went nuts about Doug Stanhope during this one too.

To summarize, he talked about going on CBB and how there was 'some guy' there doing a shitty bit about looking at pictures on his phone of his baby and that he felt like he got frozen out like they didn't want him there. "But wait, I'm the guest. I could just leave you to die on the vine with your shitty premise." Legit seemed like he couldn't remember that it was Besser he was with.

http://www.podcaston...cn2cVgQ.twitter

That's so weird. Must have been trying to save face while he was on it. I remember feeling almost empathetic for Mohr on the WTF interview, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Then he interviewed a college football player from my favorite team and was really high on the guy, and I thought, "Maybe Mohr ain't so bad." I'll give this is a listen. Guess he's going in the opposite direction of the Richard Lewis and Marc Marons of the world.

• Like 2

That's so weird. Must have been trying to save face while he was on it. I remember feeling almost empathetic for Mohr on the WTF interview, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Then he interviewed a college football player from my favorite team and was really high on the guy, and I thought, "Maybe Mohr ain't so bad." I'll give this is a listen. Guess he's going in the opposite direction of the Richard Lewis and Marc Marons of the world.

To be fair, he's had a tragedy recently that he goes into. That could really be shaping his reality. But still, it always seems like something like this is going on with him. Also, at a certain point when enough people have shown that you've stolen their jokes or just flat out used their stories like they were part of your life, I'm not even sure people know what is really you and what is fantasy. I'm not sure he's clear anymore on it.

• Like 3

Mohr has always been a dick bag. Did you not listen to the WTF with Bobcat? Mohr ran off with Bobcat's wife. They tear into him pretty good.

• Like 3

Jay Mohr makes it impossible to like Jay Mohr without a few qualifications. I think Marc Marone is one of the only guys out there who can pull off the bitter and jealous routine and not just look sad. Of course Marc cops to it, Jay just seems like he's getting off on being shitty. It's a joke with pretty significant diminishing returns.

Yes 100% agree. I was going to reply to those other posts that Maron kind of has the same qualities yet keeps it funny and smart. I guess it comes down to Maron being self-aware like you said.

• Like 4

Mohr has always been a dick bag. Did you not listen to the WTF with Bobcat? Mohr ran off with Bobcat's wife. They tear into him pretty good.

That's true. I guess the WTF interview made him seem a bit more human than in the past, but I had forgotten about that. Had no idea about the tragedy since I don't pay too much attention to him (only knew about the interview with the football player because a friend posted it on "the facebook," to quote Doug).

• Like 2

So that ep of CBB was Jay Mohr not getting Aukerman's charac or the premise of CBB at all? As bizarre as that is I must say he faked it pretty well. There were a couple chilly moments if I remember correctly, but it came off as comedy. But not remembering Besser? I call bullshit on that, he knows who the fuck Besser is, that was just a diss. However acting like he could've let Besser's bit die on the vine? C'mon man.

He's a funny guy but even Kevin Pollack seems aware of the general hackiness of impressions. I don't think anyone straight up looks down on impressions, but if that's where all the pride in your work comes from...? Bummer.

I conclude it's all that Ghost Whisperer money that's gone to his head.

• Like 7

He's a funny guy but even Kevin Pollack seems aware of the general hackiness of impressions. I don't think anyone straight up looks down on impressions, but if that's where all the pride in your work comes from...? Bummer.

When I think of Jay Mohr, I think of a career propped up on Walken impersonations. Then I wonder how many people other than Pollack and Mohr tried propelling their careers on such an impersonation. I bet that shit was almost unbearable in clubs in the late 80s/early 90s. ::clicks the link to check it out:: Oh goddamn it! He has the fake mustache on the stick as his show's thumbnail. There is no way this goes well... Yeah, he sounds like he's perpetually stuck in high school, like not caring and seeming too cool for something makes him the coolest guy in the room and surrounds himself with minions who buy into his sycophancy.

Completely unrelated, but back to the show... shit, that transition from Doug to the mayonnaise recipe was beautiful... not even acknowledging the phone call that just happened. Straight into the bit.

Also, RC has every right to insult Coke.

• Like 7

When I think of Jay Mohr, I think of a career propped up on Walken impersonations. Then I wonder how many people other than Pollack and Mohr tried propelling their careers on such an impersonation. I bet that shit was almost unbearable in clubs in the late 80s/early 90s. ::clicks the link to check it out:: Oh goddamn it! He has the fake mustache on the stick as his show's thumbnail. There is no way this goes well... Yeah, he sounds like he's perpetually stuck in high school, like not caring and seeming too cool for something makes him the coolest guy in the room and surrounds himself with minions who buy into his sycophancy.

Completely unrelated, but back to the show... shit, that transition from Doug to the mayonnaise recipe was beautiful... not even acknowledging the phone call that just happened. Straight into the bit.

Also, RC has every right to insult Coke.

I guess I have this residual goodwill toward him because Action was so goddamned good. Unfortunately it seems like Peter Dragon rubbed off on him a bit.

RC has every right to say what they will about Coke, but that guy (Ratzo - thanks DanE!) I would say is more like TAB. And TAB needs to shut the fuck up.

• Like 3

It's funny that these are 2 random comedians that I dislike talking about 2 comedians I'm a big fan of

I only know Jay Mohr from Opie & Anthony youtube episodes (and he comes off like a douche) and I only know Eddie Ifft from the old Jim Jeffries podcast (that I had to quit listening to b/c Eddie annoyed me)

• Like 1

It's funny that these are 2 random comedians that I dislike talking about 2 comedians I'm a big fan of

I only know Jay Mohr from Opie & Anthony youtube episodes (and he comes off like a douche) and I only know Eddie Ifft from the old Jim Jeffries podcast (that I had to quit listening to b/c Eddie annoyed me)

Early on, that's what made Jay kinda charming. He had a sort of David Spade, Dennis Miller self-aware smartass/douchebag persona. I guess if you act like a fuckin asshole who doesn't care for long enough you start to become that person. Or it never was an act.

• Like 3

Early on, that's what made Jay kinda charming. He had a sort of David Spade, Dennis Miller self-aware smartass/douchebag persona. I guess if you act like a fuckin asshole who doesn't care for long enough you start to become that person. Or it never was an act.

What soured me was when I found out he had 'stolen' all those Tracy Morgan stories (and a few others) from Burt Krisher (spelling?). I had read all of Jay's books and sort of understood his explanation of what happened with stealing the skit on SNL and the trouble he got in. To then start taking stories from his opener and use them on radio shows and podcasts as his own...well once that came out it just totally turned me. Stealing jokes is one thing. That sucks, but at least that's a joke. Stealing (he says Burt gave him permission) a person's stories is just too dark to contemplate.

• Like 4