🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 111 — Hercules in New York: LIVE!

Wait a second...it's Friday already? There's a new HDTGM? And it's the first episode since Tango and Cash to have Paul, Jason, AND June for the full episode?

Well, fuck...

JvVR1lPfiFx9m.gif

Not to mention that Abbi is the guest! I haven't even started the episode yet, and my whole day is made.

• Like 3

When Atlas and Samson is sent to help Hercules in the barrel factory .. why is Samson there?: Samson is a BIBLE character not from Greek mythology.

They did bring it up in the episode, but this actually raises a couple of interesting theological questions…

Does this mean that the Greek Gods just co-opt the figures of other religions when it suits their purposes?

Also, according to the Old Testament, Samson was granted his great strength and power to fight the enemies of Israel, which would have probably included Gentile cultures such as the Greeks. Was it awkward for Samson when he died and realized he had been fighting his whole life for the wrong team?

What I do think we can take away from this movie is, that regardless of someone’s personal faith, that when we die, we will end up in whatever afterlife happens to exist--no questions asked. In a way, I think we can all take comfort in that. So believe whatever you want, and don’t judge others for their beliefs, because in all likelihood, we will all just be drinking mead with Thor in Valhalla anyway…

Hercules in New York: the Key to World Peace and the End of Religious Strife

• Like 3

Im so torn! I love Abbi and Broad City, but I cant stay awake watching this movie! All the Zorba the greek guitar with Arnold trying to zay all of ehes linez makez me fallz to sleepz.......

OK, was I drunk or did Herc walk into the "broad's" living room, beat up her boyfriend (sorta), ask her on a date, and take said "dame" on a carriage ride through Central Park all in the span of one evening? Also, where did Herc get that suit since neither he nor Pretzy had any money?

Pretzy 4 Prez.

• Like 3

OK, was I drunk or did Herc walk into the "broad's" living room, beat up her boyfriend (sorta), ask her on a date, and take said "dame" on a carriage ride through Central Park all in the span of one evening? Also, where did Herc get that suit since neither he nor Pretzy had any money?

Pretzy 4 Prez.

Not only that, we're told he cracked a couple of the boyfriend's ribs, but later, when everyone is gushing over Herc, the boyfriend says, "Yeah, I like him too!"

It's okay dude, you don't have to like the guy who beat you up and stole your girlfriend. Don't be a doormat.

• Like 4

Not having Jason in the last full ep made his return this week jarring.

He made fun of an actor with a 60+ year career -- which Jason should be so lucky to have, was a complete dick to the audience -- a shtick that's more than worn itself out, called the women in the audience bitches, and just proceeded to yell over EVERYONE -- audience and hosts alike.

If I have to choose between not having June at a live show or not having Jason, I'll kick Jason out any day.

Someone take the cocaine away from him before the live shows PLEASE.

You've heard other episodes with Jason? He didn't behave any differently in this one. Jason has always kept the energy level high at live shows. People have complained about him talking over other people since the first episode. I think he did a good job at crowd control so Paul didn't get competely smothered and his mic taken away. You don't think he was honestly calling women in the audience bitches, do you? Maybe you just don't like his style.

He's always been my favorite part of live shows because he gets amped up and says even crazier shit than he normally does.

• Like 13

Omission: there's a lot of lines in this movie that are baffling to say the least but one that stood out the most to me wasn't mentioned. When Hercules is talking to the ship captain he for no reason says "it's alright, I'm democratic." What the fuck is that suppose to mean??? I can't imagine any of Arnold's lines were improvised. Aubrey Wisberg's dialogue comes off like a homeless guy talking to himself outside Port Authority.

• Like 6

Omission: there's a lot of lines in this movie that are baffling to say the least but one that stood out the most to me wasn't mentioned. When Hercules is talking to the ship captain he for no reason says "it's alright, I'm democratic." What the fuck is that suppose to mean??? I can't imagine any of Arnold's lines were improvised. Aubrey Wisberg's dialogue comes off like a homeless guy talking to himself outside Port Authority.

It had something to do with Hercules not calling the captain sir, because he goes on to explain that no man is greater than Hercules. Honestly, I figured it was the writer thinking he was being clever because Greece was the birthplace of democracy. I could just picture him at his typewriter thinking to himself, 'Boy, I'd better show people I know history, otherwise they won't take this thing seriously!'.

Initially, I thought maybe the idea was Hercules was saying he believed so strongly in direct democracy and rule by the people that he was saying he wouldn't submit to the rigid precepts of a military hierarchy because no man is greater than another, but then he says, 'No man is greater than Hercules' and I realized he's just being a jerk and refuses to show the captain any respect because he's Hercules, which makes the line about being democratic totally pointless.

• Like 4

He made fun of an actor with a 60+ year career -- which Jason should be so lucky to have, was a complete dick to the audience -- a shtick that's more than worn itself out, called the women in the audience bitches, and just proceeded to yell over EVERYONE -- audience and hosts alike.

If I have to choose between not having June at a live show or not having Jason, I'll kick Jason out any day.

Disagree. "Give me your baby."

• Like 11

I was at this live show! It was honestly one of the best things I've ever witnessed, and relistening to it I'm realizing there's so much I forgot about already...

So when Jason said "don't do that" kinda early on, was he talking to someone in the audience who was, like, climbing on stage or something, or was I just too tired to understand that he was actually talking about someone in the movie?

OMISSION! I just have to say when that reviewer says that he would pay 300 Yen to watch that hot dog vendor scene he means to pay $2.41 in today's conversion. Not a whole lot and not sure how much it would have been in 2003 (when the review was written) so I guess that means the review doesn't value this movie a whole lot...

• Like 1

Honest to goodness question here... Is Jason Mantzoukas the best live podcast host of all time?

I say yes.

• Like 2

It had something to do with Hercules not calling the captain sir, because he goes on to explain that no man is greater than Hercules. Honestly, I figured it was the writer thinking he was being clever because Greece was the birthplace of democracy. I could just picture him at his typewriter thinking to himself, 'Boy, I'd better show people I know history, otherwise they won't take this thing seriously!'.

I had the same thought, but in a movie that consistently confuses Greek, Roman and Christian characters the idea of going for witty was absurd.

• Like 1

Holy shit. Zouks is right! Mercury sounds EXACTLY like Adam Scott.

• Like 8

Okay tiny omission... They talk about all the times he uses his strength but they forgot to mention when he pushed over the taxi but it took him FOREVER! If Hercules can lift 1,000 pounds no problem on a normal day it shouldn't take him so long to push the car over.

But honestly I just wanted them to talk about that one goddess's crazy makeup and they did. So I am a happy girl.

• Like 3

Getting heckled by Jason is like smoking weed with Willie Neson. It's an honor. I can only hope that one day I will have the honor of being called a "dum dum" by Mr. Mantzoukas.

• Like 15

I dont think any of the audience's Arnold impersonations managed to capture the wrong inflections or annunciations that really made the "I clearly don't understand the words that are coming out of my mouth" performance that he gave.

• Like 3

Also, why in heaven's name did they make Arnold say "Terpischore"? Did they really think he had a chance with that one? She's just one of the nine muses, why not go with "Cleo"? Even "Calliope" might have made it through the Austrianator, but Terpischore...

Does anyone else remember Arnold Stang's last line in the movie. It's something like "Well, I think I'll go eat an apple." END. OF. SCENE. At first I thought it was a callback to an earlier moment. Nope.

• Like 8

Please leave the show Jason, you insensitive douchebag.

Didn't it suck when the government made it mandatory to listen to How Did this Get Made and we were all forced to listen to Jason Mantzoukas' insensitive jokes? Oh wait...

44Eq3Ab5LPYn6.gif

• Like 17

Did anyone else notice how both the women in the podcast loved Arnold's performance which was clearly based on them being attracted to him in this movie as well as Jason and Paul loving the performance of his love interest which was also clearly based on the fact that she was attractive. The outrage by the opposite sex's on this episode was amazing. I died when they say the female lead has something wrong with her.

• Like 2

Can we talk about how Zeus is a psychotic father? Herc is bored at home so his dad banishes him from Mt. Olympus, sending him to the middle of the ocean! Then when he manically changes his mind and wants Herc to come back, but Herc refuses he seriously considers sending what is essentially an assassin after him to banish him to hell!