🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 111 — Hercules in New York: LIVE!

Can we talk about how Zeus is a psychotic father? Herc is bored at home so his dad banishes him from Mt. Olympus, sending him to the middle of the ocean! Then when he manically changes his mind and wants Herc to come back, but her refuses he seriously considers sending what is essentially an assassin after him to banish him to hell!

And he changed his mind like 90 seconds later, didn't he? He banishes Herc, we get the plane scene, maybe something else, and then Zues going "Perhaps I was wrong". BAM, we're into Act Two.

Didn't it suck when the government made it mandatory to listen to How Did this Get Made and we were all forced to listen to Jason Mantzoukas' insensitive jokes? Oh wait...

44Eq3Ab5LPYn6.gif

I'd be curious to know if this is a longtime listener who finally made a profile to comment on his displeasure with the live episode. I think we're required to have at least X number of those every time there's a live ep.

• Like 3

Honest to goodness question here... Is Jason Mantzoukas the best live podcast host of all time?

I say yes.

I honestly feel like the answer is yes. He always seems to feed off the audience and it's truly a delight. Grep.

• Like 4

I'm surprised there was no mention of Zeus' "lightning", who needs special effects when you can have someone tack together rebar lighning bolts with a welder.

troll10.png

• Like 13

I was lucky enough to be at this show, and wow is it a doozy.

One thing that wasn't mentioned but I think needs addressing is the fact that Zeus has a crystal ball to see what's going on down on earth...

Also, I would be intrigued by an alternate casting. Maybe it's just the future pairing, or his role as Phil in the animated Hercules, but I would love to see a version where Pretzie is played by Danny DeVito

• Like 3

If I have to choose between not having June at a live show or not having Jason, I'll kick Jason out any day.

You shut your mouth.

Edit: just for clarification, I wouldn't want June gone either. The best shows are the ones where the gang is all there.

• Like 3

I'm surprised there was no mention of Zeus' "lightning", who needs special effects when you can have someone tack together rebar lighning bolts with a welder.

troll10.png

Honestly, I'm not sure which took me out of the movie faster the setting of mount Olympus or the lightening bolts. I think wielding is l pretty complimentary for what looks like a coat hanger wrapped in tin foil

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Zeus' objection for Hercules going to Earth is that he fears humans will try to "destroy him because he is different?" Um...actually, aside from a couple of misunderstandings regarding the etiquette behind forced conscription, everyone seems to LOVE Hercules. In fact, the only real danger he finds himself in is because of the Olympians own meddling. Had Zeus not sent Nemesis down to punish him, Hercules would have probably just gone on being revered by everyone he comes across.

Also, Mr. Narrator, it's me, Cameron H, talking. You better sit down for this. I know you think you're being clever by combining "History" and "Myth" in the opening to suggest that "Mystery" is somehow a portmanteau of the two words, but it's not. Stop kidding yourself. You're being a Stupidiot.

• Like 5

Can we talk about how Zeus is a psychotic father? Herc is bored at home so his dad banishes him from Mt. Olympus, sending him to the middle of the ocean! Then when he manically changes his mind and wants Herc to come back, but Herc refuses he seriously considers sending what is essentially an assassin after him to banish him to hell!

This is a guy that sometimes turns himself into animals in order to rape women, so I don't think he's what you'd call reasonable to begin with.

• Like 9

not the best video but ...

just before Deborah Loomis faints because Hercules is fighting the bear she is clearly given a direction by someone beside the camera. just watch her eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_64w1n9_VO8&feature=youtu.be

this plus hearing someone yelling at her to scream and Arnold messing his lines up the whole carriage ride makes me think they just did one take at each camera set up and then moved on.

it wouldn't surprise me if most of the movie was made like that. the editing was weird and the sound levels were all over the place throughout

• Like 7

But what did the characters of Mad Men think of this movie?

Also, my name is literally Helen so I was looking forward to having Jason deeply insult someone with my name, but he was right to just call her "whatshername" for the whole podcast, it is what she deserved for dishonoring my/our name. And who won the Hercules-off?!

Can we talk about the timeline of their dates? They went on like 4 in a row in the movie and, while they changed clothes for each scene, that was the only differentiation between dates.

PAUL! I was at this show and it /ruled/.

My Q: Your impression of Pretzy sounds identical to your impression of Frank Stallone (you got 'em all "jimble-jambled"). So if they were to remake the film with Frank Stallone as Pretzy, who would you cast as Hercules?

PAUL! I was at this show and it /ruled/.

My Q: Your impression of Pretzy sounds identical to your impression of Frank Stallone (you got 'em all "jimble-jambled"). So if they were to remake the film with Frank Stallone as Pretzy, who would you cast as Hercules?

I'm pretty new to HDTGM but where do they post when and where they do live shows. I live in New York and totally would have gone if I'd known.

Not having Jason in the last full ep made his return this week jarring.

I will go ahead and assume that by "jarring" you meant Jason was so good you could literally bottle him up in a jar of awesomeness!

Otherwise, why are you listening to this podcast?

• Like 10

He usually announces it in both the minis and in the intros to full episodes.

Must have not been paying attention during the mini, not going to lie I almost always listen to the podcasts at work or while drinking so I probably just missed it. By the way Dr. Moreau drunk is truly an amazing experience. Thanks for the additional sources.

• Like 1

Please leave the show Jason, you insensitive douchebag.

Are you joking? The dude cries during episodes of the Gilmore Girls. I think you might be the one who's a bit too sensitive.

• Like 4

So when Jason said "don't do that" kinda early on, was he talking to someone in the audience who was, like, climbing on stage or something, or was I just too tired to understand that he was actually talking about someone in the movie?

Oh man, I don't know what happened there, I wish I did...I am, unfortunately, pretty short, so I couldn't see much of what was going on on the floor with so many (taller) people around me (though I did have a good view of the stage)...I didn't see anyone try to get onstage or do anything weird, but I'd say he was almost definitely reacting to the antics of someone in the audience and not to one of the movie characters (though to be fair, "don't do that" is an appropriate reaction to basically everything Hercules does throughout the movie)....

• Like 4

Must have not been paying attention during the mini, not going to lie I almost always listen to the podcasts at work or while drinking so I probably just missed it. By the way Dr. Moreau drunk is truly an amazing experience. Thanks for the additional sources.

http://www.aa.org/

and one last post from me (sorry about all the pics but this really is one of those films that need as many visual aids as possible because it is so unbelivable)

there is little shout out to a previous episode (Easy Rider 2). Found this on http://www.filmsinfi...es-in-new-york/

easy rider came out in 1969 too

i think paint your wagon is in screen 2

2njzi2p.jpg

• Like 3