🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 111 — Hercules in New York: LIVE!

KINDA OMISSION: While I know somebody early on mentioned this but the naming is all over the place. All the characters are suppose to be from Greek mythology but they used mostly the Roman naming. Juno, Mercury, and Pluto are the Roman names for Hera, Hermes, and Hades. Heck even Hercules should have been Heracles. However, they kept Apollo and Zeus as is. This wouldn't bother me so much if the movie didn't go out of it's way to point this out! When Mr. Turtle Pretzie was rereading the book on mythology he stole borrowed he reads aloud "Hercules, half god half man, was the son of Jupiter or Zeus as he was known to the Greeks." Why include this line? Why not just say son of Zeus? Why acknowledge you are aware they have different names?

I feel like what you are assuming here is that there was a concerted effort to plan everything in advance such that it would not make sense for the film to acknowledge the naming differences. I imagine that someone just grabbed some book and Arnold Stang is just reading out of it. It would take way too much organization for there to be someone getting paid who would catch such a thing.

• Like 1

I loved the fact that directly after they are discussing where Herc gets his wardrobe they cut to a ad for Jack Threads clothing. I really think Paul missed a trick by not opening the promo with 'If you're a greek god whose dropped to Earth from Mount Olympus and don't have appropriate attire for the modern era why not log on to our sponsor.'

It's like Netflix...for your closet!

This week I saw a classic movie released in 1969 about a man who travels to new york where as a complete stranger out of his depth he is taken in by a poor hustler who wishes to use the stranger to make money. After some initial success at demonstrating this man's prowess he seems to lose his mojo for a time before getting it back. We watch as these two characters try to survive in the dangerous big city but by the final scene the two friends part ways. Yes, that's right I saw Midnight Cowboy

• Like 2

just a couple of things i want to know about Arnolds voice:

1. At what point in the process of making this movie did they decide they needed a voiceover? did they know it at the casting stage or did it only dawn on them later on set? (probably as soon as he opened his mouth for the first time)

2. Hercs dad had a traditional British Thespian accent, the guy they got to do the dubbing had a British Thespian accent .. was Hercules supposed to have a British accent? please tell me there is a clip out the somewhere with a young Arnold trying to do a British accent. or was he trying the whole way thru?

• Like 1

Aside from the fact that no one who worked on this could keep Roman and Greek mythology and names straight - since it's been discussed - I loved everyone's reaction to Juno. I get that Hera's jealousy was always dismissed by the other gods in mythology largely because the only jealousy they felt was justified was their own when they were upset about... anything (not that I think that's why she was treated that way in this movie, that's giving them too much credit) but at no point does anyone mention that this is their mother they're treating like a loony tune. Not even when Mercury talked to Hercules.

And I may have been the only one, but I was really disappointed when the guy announcing the wrestling strong man competition called them both "titans." I don't think that word was selected for its mythological roots (again, too much credit) but given how Hercules freaked out about so many other percieved allusions to his heritiage you would really think he would take umbrage at being called by the name of soe defeated proto-gods.

• Like 1

I think that Pretzie is the true villain of this movie.

Pretzie is a con artist who exploits a naive mentally disabled foreigner. He encourages Hercules to incur large amounts of debt in hotel accommodations and custom tailoring even though it is established that Hercules does not know what money is. He never attempts to stop any of Hercules' countless altercations with innocent civilians. Plus, he straight up sells Hercules to the mob without even telling him!?!...Pretzie is evil.

• Like 2

It confounds me that no one in this movie questions Hercules’ identity or mental health. He introduces himself to everyone as “Hercules, son of Zeus”...and no one thinks that is strange. To the characters in this movie Hercules is an undocumented foreigner, who is manically aggressive, and claims to be the son of a mythical god. Why does no one call the authorities!?!

• Like 1

It confounds me that no one in this movie questions Hercules’ identity or mental health. He introduces himself to everyone as “Hercules, son of Zeus”...and no one thinks that is strange. To the characters in this movie Hercules is an undocumented foreigner, who is manically aggressive, and claims to be the son of a mythical god. Why does no one call the authorities!?!

This reminds me, has anyone read "The Ultimates", which is about an alternate universe version of The Avengers? Everyone's kind of tweaked a bit from their normal Marvel Universe selves, so when Thor turns up claiming to be a God from Asgard, everyone just kind of thinks that he's this hippie weirdo, because there is no evidence to support his claim at all, and they play with it for the entire first run of the series, not really showing any of his backstory, and it works, because he doesn't look or act like the Thor we've Come to know. Ultimately (heh!), he proves himself, but it was a good twist on the origin, as people who never saw gods would probably think that a guy trying to convince you he's one is full of shit.

• Like 3

I thought this episode was great! Having the gang back together was a treat.

I don't understand all of the vitriol being spat at Jason on this board? I think instead of trolling around spouting negativity you may just want to listen to another podcast and leave the rest of us alone. Zouks is a fucking national treasure! If you don't think so (I'll take a page from Jason himself) GO FUCK YOURSELF!

• Like 6

Here's something I don't think they mentioned. When the main mobster guy makes Pretzie sign the contract, his two henchmen are named "Fat Lips" and "Nitro." One sounds like the name of a frat pledge, the other sounds like someone on American Gladiator. Who is in charge of nicknaming these mobsters?

• Like 1

The Olympic World for Clean and Jerk (the technique they used in the movie) in Weightlifting is around 585lbs. On a tiny competition in a basement somewhere, two guys obliterated the record by over 100lbs each, and the winner almost doubled it. No big deal, nobody makes a big show out of it. Hercules is treated like a loser for only beating the world record by 170lbs.

• Like 5

The Olympic World for Clean and Jerk (the technique they used in the movie) in Weightlifting is around 585lbs. On a tiny competition in a basement somewhere, two guys obliterated the record by over 100lbs each, and the winner almost doubled it. No big deal, nobody makes a big show out of it. Hercules is treated like a loser for only beating the world record by 170lbs.

Thank you! I was wondering about that and then never bothered to look it up. Also, someone mentioned earlier that it seemed like maybe he lost his powers between the 750 and 1000 pound rounds, which totally makes more sense than the impression you'd otherwise get, which is that he lost his powers before that. But if the other guy was able to do 1000 pounds, then maybe he could do 750 even without his powers?

That raises another point, which is that a big part of the first act is people underestimating him because they don't know he's an Olympian demi-god, which weirdly ignores that HE'S STILL A FUCKING HUGE GUY. Mortal human or not, no one would be stepping to that guy over $2 or a fairly mild insult, yet it's constantly happening in this movie.

Also, I was a little surprised they didn't mention that the MC for that weightlifting contest was Mr. Wilhelm, George's boss with the Yankees on Seinfeld.

• Like 3

Thank you! I was wondering about that and then never bothered to look it up. Also, someone mentioned earlier that it seemed like maybe he lost his powers between the 750 and 1000 pound rounds, which totally makes more sense than the impression you'd otherwise get, which is that he lost his powers before that. But if the other guy was able to do 1000 pounds, then maybe he could do 750 even without his powers?

That raises another point, which is that a big part of the first act is people underestimating him because they don't know he's an Olympian demi-god, which weirdly ignores that HE'S STILL A FUCKING HUGE GUY. Mortal human or not, no one would be stepping to that guy over $2 or a fairly mild insult, yet it's constantly happening in this movie.

Also, I was a little surprised they didn't mention that the MC for that weightlifting contest was Mr. Wilhelm, George's boss with the Yankees on Seinfeld.

yeah his powers of being a demi-god were taken away, so he's just a human. so his human body should still be just as strong as it seems.why is he now so much weaker than a guy that's kind of the same size? furthermore, what if they both could lift 1000lb? would they just both be the strongest man?

So many bizarre facets to Pretzie's character. Once he latches on to Herc he instantly abandons his pretzel enterprise leaving his basket in the cab and never returning to his namesake job. That's completely understandable since he can't afford a $2 cab ride, let alone cover the $50 bet he makes on Herc's long jump competition. That certainly paid off though because he manages to use that to buy both himself and Herc new suits when they arrive in the very next scene for tea with the professor and his daughter. No wonder he's depressed at the end, he has no job, no one to leech off of and is probably still wanted by the mob.

Herc's understanding of technology and modern life is wildly inconsistent. They try to depict him as a fish out of water calling cars chariots and seemingly not understanding what a movie is on his date with the professor's daughter, yet seconds later he not only owns a camera, but wants to take tourist snapshots of her in front of statues of his mythological friends -- Atlas in Rockefeller Plaza.

• Like 2

The Mangum Opus of HDTGM. Absolutely fantastic. Stunning work of modern podcasting art. 10/10 stars.

• Like 2

I am normally not into muscles, but this time I could totally dig it.

I think it was Arnie at his best looking, and he defintely was "softer" that he would look for competitions or say how he looked in a film like predator. The fact that he didn't have every single vein popping along with his very young face and, yes, a very small waist made him look very, very good.

I feel like...you didn't mention the best part - near the end, during the fight at the cardboard factory, when everyone is climbing up the barrels there is an up-skirt panty shot of Helen.

I feel like...you didn't mention the best part - near the end, during the fight at the cardboard factory, when everyone is climbing up the barrels there is an up-skirt panty shot of Helen.

The hell, really? How did I miss that.

Great point! After he loses his divine gifts his powers go all over the place. He's still a man who can lift 750 lbs, but nearly gets thrown off a fire escape by two mobsters with average to below average builds? And then, unless I'm mistaken, immediately afterward he has the strength to crush a padlock with his bare hands?? Which is it movie? Strong or weak?

Also, and this could be my own ignorance, but the announcer at the competition states that it's an "exhibition of the defense of manly art." What exactly does that mean? I'm trying to parse it out, but so far, no luck. Why are the manly arts on defense? Who's attacking them, feminine wiles? Was the line supposed to be "display" instead of "defense?" But then exhibition shouldn't be in the sentence...

And finally, for all the ladies and gents who are interested:

T9YdDlG5gHj6U.gif

• Like 3

did you ever wonder what Arnold Schwarzenegger would look like standing next to Nelson de la Rosa? Well.....

o075te.jpg

Arnold: 188cm tall

Nelson: 71cm tall

That reminded me of this...

RARE-ILMStarWarsMarvelYodaHulk.jpg

If only someone could put Arnold and Nelson in that...

• Like 2