🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 111 — Hercules in New York: LIVE!

I re-listened to this today, and I do think Jason might have been a bit much with the talking over others. I've kind of noticed he tends (probably unintentionally) to steamroll over others more when they're women. I still love Zouks, but there were several times where I was like, "Could you let Abbi/June make her point? It's possible for us to enjoy both their insight and whatever dick joke you're about to make"

Have to admit I found Zouks kinda over the top in this one. I love him and his humor but I'm not a fan of the "tell the audience member to shut up" joke when it's done to every audience member. and he does talk over everyone all the time.

While I don't begrudge anyone their personal opinions, and I don't really don't thinks Jason needs me to rush to his defense, I honestly didn't hear any difference in Jason than normal. I just re-listened to it, with all the criticisms in mind, and I simply didn't get/hear it. Does he sometimes talk over people? I guess so...but June--also someone I don't think needs defending--has worked with him for years and she seems to get that sometimes this happens (as it does anytime multiple people are engaged in a lively discussion) and if she has a point to make, she generally is able to get it out if she really wants to say it. Does she sometimes drop her point? Yes, but they all do that too depending on the direction the conversation is going. Sometimes you can tell all three of them are going to say something and then drop it because the new direction may either coincide with what they were going to say anyway or will be more interesting to talk about than what they were going to bring up.

Personally, I found all three of them to be delightful in the episode. Yes, Jason brings a lot of energy to live performances (they all do), but he is playing for the crowd. I would much rather have "high energy" Jason than "I don't want to be here" Jason. In fact, all the criticisms on the boards only make me think how endearing it is that after 4+ years he seems to really enjoy what he's doing, and I think we are all fortunate for that.

So, Jason (who I can't imagine ever reads the message boards), June, Paul, and everyone who makes this show possible, I want to extend a sincere and heartfelt...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

While I don't begrudge anyone their personal opinions, and I don't really don't thinks Jason needs me to rush to his defense, I honestly didn't hear any difference in Jason than normal. I just re-listened to it, with all the criticisms in mind, and I simply didn't get/hear it. Does he sometimes talk over people? I guess so...but June--also someone I don't think needs defending--has worked with him for years and she seems to get that sometimes this happens (as it does anytime multiple people are engaged in a lively discussion) and if she has a point to make, she generally is able to get it out if she really wants to say it. Does she sometimes drop her point? Yes, but they all do that too depending on the direction the conversation is going. Sometimes you can tell all three of them are going to say something and then drop it because the new direction may either coincide with what they were going to say anyway or will be more interesting to talk about than what they were going to bring up.

Personally, I found all three of them to be delightful in the episode. Yes, Jason brings a lot of energy to live performances (they all do), but he is playing for the crowd. I would much rather "high energy" Jason than "I don't want to be here" Jason. In fact, all the criticisms on the boards only make me think how endearing it is that after 4+ years he seems to really enjoy what he's doing, and I think we are all fortunate for that.

Don't get me wrong. I totally love Jason. I just noticed that he seemed to talk over people more than usual. I thought about it a bit last night, and I think there are a couple of possibilities on why. One, it was their first show with all three of the hosts together in quite a while. The three of them clearly get along very well, and if I was getting to do something I enjoyed with my friends and one had been missing for a while, I'd be super-excited to be back in the mix with them.

Also, this was a NY show. They mentioned several times during the audience Q&A that the crowd was very different from the normal Largo crowd in LA. I bet the venue had a much livelier atmosphere to it, and I'm sure they all fed off of that. Jason's already lively (to say the least), so it's not unfathomable that this amped him up even more. He had more interaction with the crowd than I've heard in a while. And I LOVED his crowd interactions (although it sounds like hippogriffrider would disagree).

The only times I thought it was a bit much was when someone else would say half a sentence leading into a point/observation, and he would jump in on top of them.

I still totally love Zouks, and I thought this was a great episode. He, Paul, and June all give this awesome balance to the show, and I dearly miss June or Jason when they have to miss an episode or two.

• Like 1

Is it safe to assume next week's ep will Turtles 3 Live?

No, because the Turtles movie they are doing is Turtles 2 :) Don't watch the wrong one! That would really suck.

Will it be next week's episode? I can't say. Sometimes they keep live episodes in the can. But they are doing Turtles 2 eventually, so go ahead and watch it if you want.

• Like 1

No, because the Turtles movie they are doing is Turtles 2 :) Don't watch the wrong one! That would really suck.

Will it be next week's episode? I can't say. Sometimes they keep live episodes in the can. But they are doing Turtles 2 eventually, so go ahead and watch it if you want.

Cheers! Turtles 2 is a movie that I'd watch anywho, so what's the harm?

• Like 2

Filming a movie in Ohio called "My Blind Brother", co-starring Nick Kroll and Jenny Slate! I worked on it about three weeks ago, and it's wrapping up shortly if it hasn't already.

I think we have photographic confirmation that he was at the U2 show in LA this week.

I think we have photographic confirmation that he was at the U2 show in LA this week.

We need a giant map of the world for Adam Scott sightings to put pins in. So far, we've got one pin in Cleveland, OH, and another in Los Angeles. Everyone else, feel free to help out!

• Like 1

Cheers! Turtles 2 is a movie that I'd watch anywho, so what's the harm?

I saw that movie in the theater with my parents when I was about 10. I can't wait for the Vanilla Ice discussion, because I remember how awesome we all thought it was that he was in it.

• Like 1

We need a giant map of the world for Adam Scott sightings to put pins in. So far, we've got one pin in Cleveland, OH, and another in Los Angeles. Everyone else, feel free to help out!

If you put a bunch of thumbtacks on a map, they form the shape of a little butt.

• Like 2

I saw that movie in the theater with my parents when I was about 10. I can't wait for the Vanilla Ice discussion, because I remember how awesome we all thought it was that he was in it.

I think it was awesome that he just seemed to have that rap ready to go, having never even encountered a ninja, much less a ninja TURTLE, until like ten seconds before.

• Like 1

I thought this episode was great! Having the gang back together was a treat.

I don't understand all of the vitriol being spat at Jason on this board? I think instead of trolling around spouting negativity you may just want to listen to another podcast and leave the rest of us alone. Zouks is a fucking national treasure! If you don't think so (I'll take a page from Jason himself) GO FUCK YOURSELF!

Hmm, I'm not sure, it does seem right for a comedy performer to be rude to their audience. It's not like those lovely nice comedians Don Rickles, Sarah Silverman, Jerry Sadowicz, Andy Kaufman or Jim Jefferies were ever anything but perfectly courteous to the people in the stalls...

I rewound that bear scene about 5 times. no joke. I was in tears. seeing that bear walk and fight is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

and they were right, that saurkraut at the end of the chase scene was freaking genius.

One other thing I enjoyed was Pretzy talking at the top of the Empire State building. The way he delivers the line "look at that big old boat..." killed me.

Fantastic episode!

I do think I have an answer for why the mobsters are driving a beat up station wagon. Simply put: they are the worst gangsters in the world. Now I don’t know much about illegal sports gambling, but I’m pretty sure the key isn’t to put an odds on favorite athlete under contract and then have him compete honestly. They are shocked when Pluto puts 20 grand on Hercules to lose—what a god needs with money, I guess we’ll never know-- but what would the payout be if he were to win? A couple of hundred dollars? Wouldn’t the better scheme be for them to put their money on Herc to lose and then have him take a dive? This would then better explain their anger when Hercules’ hubris doesn’t allow him to do so…

Also, when they try to buyout his contract, Pretzie tells them they don’t have a formal arrangement. At that point, why are they still willing to give Pretzie money? Couldn’t they just tell him, “Sorry about your luck” and save their money? And they say there’s no honor among thieves….

I guess you could call it Pretzie's Honor

• Like 1

Also, Pretzie talking about all the cartoon voice acting he's done through the years. At the 3:30m mark....

"..I would sometimes do the voice for talking animals. Everything from a 900 pound gorilla to... several times I've done turtles, for some reason...."

Zooks should get a prize for that callout. He probably at one point actually HEARD Pretzie as a turtle in something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcuOdI_Rreo

Hmm, I'm not sure, it does seem right for a comedy performer to be rude to their audience. It's not like those lovely nice comedians Don Rickles, Sarah Silverman, Jerry Sadowicz, Andy Kaufman or Jim Jefferies were ever anything but perfectly courteous to the people in the stalls...

Here's an awesome example of a comedian insulting his audience, and the audience loving it... Bill Burr, in Philadelphia. NSFW, unless you work at the studio where South Park is made or someplace like that...