🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 10 - The Student Lounge at A Performing Arts High School

Paul F. Tompkins extends his welcome to all the beloved people out there on their journey back to Spontaneanation! This week Paul's special guest is Justin Kirk of HBO’s Angels in America and Showtime’s Weeds! They chat about the earliest memory Justin has of doing something cruel, being a classic lurker online, and having a house warming party after living in his home for years. Paul is then joined by improvisers Sarah Burns, Matt Gourley, and Chris Tallman, to improvise a story set at A Performing Arts High School. As always, the superb Eban Schletter scores it all on piano!

I've been waiting for Gourley to appear and it more than exceeded my expectations. Also, it makes total sense in D&D for shambling mounds and will o' the wisps to be encountered together. Don't ask, it just does.

#classicjarles

• Like 3

Nick Nolte had me in TEARS. So freaking amazing.

Gourley's proficiency with Shakespeare served him 9and the show) so well this week. Fantastic.

When Jo Beth williams showed up, I lost it.

• Like 3

If there's any greater sentence in the English language than "Paul is then joined by...Matt Gourley", I really don't know what it is.

• Like 5

When it morphed from Shakespeare to Dr. Seuss, I snorted so hard I think I pulled something. Worth it.

If there's any greater sentence in the English language than "Paul is then joined by...Matt Gourley", I really don't know what it is.

Truer words were never spoken.

• Like 4

Get Nick Nolte on NERD POKER stat!

Laughed my ass off today listening to this episode.

• Like 1

I finished this one and immediately started it over again. This is exactly the amount of laughing I needed this Monday.

p.s. Justin Kirk was on my dolphin crush list back when Weeds first started and he was a lovely guest. I am jealous of all of PFT's cool friends

• Like 2

except for the phrase "Oh Hendry! candry bar", that is...

• Like 4

I think Paul's confusion re: Hood Canal stems from the body of water being misnamed--it's not actually a canal (which generally denotes a human-made channel) but rather a long narrow glacial fjord that forms part of the Puget Sound, and is so named possibly as a mistake--explorer Capt. George Vancouver actually wrote "Hood Channel" in his journals, but wrote it as "Hood Canal" on his charts, in a likely scrivener's error (of course, "channel" is also wrong, since it's not open at both ends, but whatever).

• Like 1

I now have a Pavlovian reaction of pure delight to the words "Hey Dolores".

"I'm recently widowed, because I am" might be the finest example of improv these ears have ever heard.

• Like 4

The new episode is an unprecedented historical event.

That's right; for the first time ever, the interview guest IS on trial here!

• Like 1

It just occured to me that Dolores told Mitch that she was married when they were stuck in that burning building together. It seems like Mitch has been spending a lot of time with another man's wife. What is going on here? Obviously he's a terrible driver, and possibly cursed, because he ends up in life-threatening situations once a week or so. Why does she keep getting in a car with him?

Unless, it's a true love situation. She is in an unhappy marriage with her husband Rich, and she really actually loves Mitch, so she puts herself in these situations to see if he'll save her. The sad thing is Mitch won't shut the fuck up about websites. Oh well.

• Like 5

this is the third ep in a row where I have to keep backing up the cold open because it's too damned funny. Jarles is so stupid hilarious I can't stand it.

• Like 2

gooey duck aka geoduck.

post-103741-0-93411400-1433217691_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

This episode hit so many of my sweet spots it's goddamn absurd. I really wish I had something more constructive to say or to put into this discussion, but start to end this was just perfect. Cannot wait to break off another ten-do (hopefully as we're headed towards a first hundo).

• Like 1

I lost all the shit ever at "Oh Hendry Candry Bar." Still laughing. People are staring at me at work and I don't care.

• Like 5

Matt Gourley is one of the absolute funniest motherfuckers on the planet.

• Like 11

Nick Nolte, O'Hendry, Mitch, Dolores, AND Dracula doing ads... Good God, this episode was amazing. Paul F Tompkins and Company make beautiful comedy together.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this