🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

21 SUE MESSING with Me.

Straight from the Mount Rushmore of Chicago Improv, Susan Messing comes down to Bro Bro to mess with Horatio, Chad and Hooray Show regular, Kevin Dorff. Susan tries out her new standup/rap persona "Too Soon" and Kevin tolerates fart jokes but only because of their place in history. Kevin stays patient at the plate while Chad goes on about his USO tour in Iraq.

Only about halfway through and I have to say, I'm having a bit of a reaction to how poorly they (mainly Susan) is treating Chad. Am I just reading too much into the audio?

She seemed kind of dismissive to Chad and stepped on more jokes than she tried to make...

DLG0KQk.jpg

I had to make this.. that ad killed me.

• Like 3

She seemed kind of dismissive to Chad and stepped on more jokes than she tried to make...

DLG0KQk.jpg

I think I actually heard Horatio say "Okay" at one point like "Okay, that's enough." to her.

"associated with the Annoyance Theater"

That explains her problem. I4H people know what i'm talking about.

Hi guys! Happy Hooray Show Wednesday!

I guess I'll start by responding to what seems to be the topic. Honestly, I didn't feel that way at all. Susan and I have a healthy respect for each other and fondness for each other. I feel comfortable saying that.

The thing we don't have is a great deal of experience together, and this goes for me and virtually all of our guests. As a Music Director and Writer for Second City, I have been immersed in the improv world for over 20 years, however, I wasn't on stage playing with those guys at UCB and iO when the thing was happening. You can't replicate that or replace that. I am an outsider in this world. And that's fine, because my job is to make them sound good.

You also should understand something about the room. Horatio and I sit at opposite ends of your average ikea dining room table. I am surrounded by computers and audio equipment and there is a basement load-bearing pole between me and the guest sitting to my right. I am sort of isolated in a natural cubicle. The guests are always facing Rog, because that's where the conversation is. So I am behind them, out of sight, but on their headphones, so when I jump in, it's a little off putting. It is often unclear whether I am playing in the game or not. Also, I am not nearly as good of an improviser as most of our guests, and I don't make the best choices always. We're working on it.

I really liked this episode a ton. Once again, I know I love my job when each new episode is my new favorite.

Here's to next week. We haven't even started yet and I couldn't be more excited.

Chad

• Like 8

DLG0KQk.jpg

Love it! It's our new facebook banner. Inside Baseball: We recorded the Moustache Wax ad for Episode One and didn't use it when we went with Shave Your Balls instead. As Horatio and I were listening to the episode, the light bulb went on and I said to Rog "I think I have a clean version of that ad somewhere on the computer" He said "Do it"

I was scavenging through the hard drive trying to find it. Finally, I stopped and asked myself, what would Chad have done with this damn file. He probably misspelled it. Sure enough. There it was. MUSTASH.WAV

Glad you liked it.

• Like 2

Only about halfway through and I have to say, I'm having a bit of a reaction to how poorly they (mainly Susan) is treating Chad. Am I just reading too much into the audio?

And with some thought, I think I know what y'all are referring to. I say:

"When I was on MY USO tour"

The reason I phrased it that way, is that Horatio and I both went on separate USO tours and I was trying to clarify the difference for the listener. (I try to be very aware of the listeners when we're recording, hence many of my interuptions (Frida Kaylo was married to Diego Rivera etc...). Usually I cut those out. I use them to advance the conversation... ANYWAY...

Susan was busting balls on me for using the pronoun "My" when referring to the USO tour. She was implying that I was using the pronoun selfishly. As if it was the Chad Tour. She knew I wasn't. It was a joke between friends. That's all.

By the way, if you are a Chicago Improviser and haven't taken a class with Susan Messing yet, you're doing it wrong.

• Like 1

"associated with the Annoyance Theater"

That explains her problem. I4H people know what i'm talking about.

Dude, you either have a serious boner for Matt Besser or you're a troll, either way, this is twice now that you are trying to say one style of comedy is better than the other. Like it's some kind of competition. Which also means that you fundamentally don't get what improvisers are all about.

You would be well served to learn that lesson. It's not annoyance vs ucb vs second city vs iO, it's not Del vs Bernie or Viola vs Mick, all of that is bullshit.

Relax. Laugh. Get it or don't. But stop adding misery to joy and being shitty about people and comedy. You've been shitty toward me and now you've been shitty to a friend. You can criticize, but be nice and be relevant.

• Like 2

Dude, you either have a serious boner for Matt Besser or you're a troll, either way, this is twice now that you are trying to say one style of comedy is better than the other. Like it's some kind of competition. Which also means that you fundamentally don't get what improvisers are all about.

You would be well served to learn that lesson. It's not annoyance vs ucb vs second city vs iO, it's not Del vs Bernie or Viola vs Mick, all of that is bullshit.

Relax. Laugh. Get it or don't. But stop adding misery to joy and being shitty about people and comedy. You've been shitty toward me and now you've been shitty to a friend. You can criticize, but be nice and be relevant.

Chad, just FYI, in the last I4H some things were said. This isn't just that guy bringing up something out of the blue, Besser is on the warpath against someone. I don't actually know who, but there is a podcast of the other side (no idea if that's the people he's talking about) calling out UCB.

Thanks for laying out the room for us and addressing what we heard. I'm glad to know everything is cool. Audio is funny because it's so easy to read too much into stuff. Thanks for clearing it all up up!

• Like 2

Chad, just FYI, in the last I4H some things were said. This isn't just that guy bringing up something out of the blue, Besser is on the warpath against someone

This isn't the first time this guy has trolled the show while cumming all over I4H. To be clear, I have nothing against Matt. I think the community is better because of him in myriad ways. Now if you don't mind, I'll be over here smelling these flowers....

• Like 2

This isn't the first time this guy has trolled the show while cumming all over I4H. To be clear, I have nothing against Matt. I think the community is better because of him in myriad ways. Now if you don't mind, I'll be over here smelling these flowers....

Love you guys!

For the record, the only people The Hooray Show are on a mission for is Cosby, Shatner and [redacted].

• Like 2

Those fake ad bits are HOOlarious, hope to hear more in the future.

Also, It's nice to see extensive feedback from you, Chad, thanks for clearing that up with the guest.

..and the Baghdad joke tickled my pickle.

• Like 2

I haven't been commenting much but have been steady on with Hoo-Hoo and Choo-Choo since about ep 3. I feel like this show is so unique. It's so cool to just sink into the convo with these folks who have such an easy rapport. I didn't pick up any static is my two cents on that. I think I just love people flippin' each other shit, and figure if it airs all are cool with it. The improv at the end was awesome and I didn't want it to end. Chad maybe serve us up a mini-ep of scraps? That would be pretty cool. Maybe it's too early in the run... Anyway, love you guys!

PS Chad, you're totally right about the show getting better and better. Really hitting a groove now.

• Like 2

Uh I was defending you (and the show) bro. How could I like Besser and hate Horatio? Horatio is OG UCB.

Uh I was defending you (and the show) bro. How could I like Besser and hate Horatio? Horatio is OG UCB.

saddlebags, buddy i say this with the best of intentions - you're not talking into account Besser's entire point; they are ALL APES. that's why what that dude says is fucked. you taking trash on people in annoyance or iO or 2nd City or any other improv school is the same behavior Besser is saying is unhealthy. apes only fight if they have to bro. and it's not our fight as fans. also this is Hooray Show forum, it's a happy place.

• Like 1

saddlebags, buddy i say this with the best of intentions - you're not taking into account Besser's entire point; they are ALL APES. that's why what that dude says is fucked. you taking trash on people in annoyance or iO or 2nd City or any other improv school is the same behavior Besser is saying is unhealthy. apes only fight if they have to bro. and it's not our fight as fans. also this is Hooray Show forum, it's a happy place.

I wasn't fighting. Pointing out that they are proven habitual linesteppers is merely stating the facts.

Chad: My post was in response to the complaining about the ep in post #2. I forgot to quote it.

I wasn't fighting. Pointing out that they are proven habitual linesteppers is merely stating the facts.

Chad: My post was in response to the complaining about the ep in post #2. I forgot to quote it.

the point is there is no "they".

SH-

...Damn. This close.

Here we go Stillers, here we go!

• Like 1

Great sound cues during the JFK bit Chad. Loved the "I was doin' this in Bagdad when you were in your Dad's bag" joke haha. Glad he got his moment to get that in. ;)

Sign in to follow this