🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
SlidePocket

The Haunting (1999)

How is this not brought up as a standalone topic? It's a piss-poor remake of the 1963 original where it's filled with full-blown CGI effects, was one of the last films Jan de Bont directed and the cast (Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Owen Wilson, Lili Taylor) should really known better for what they had signed on for. Fire away and drag the 1999 version to the ruins!

• Like 2

Yes. The original had ambiguity working in its favor, there were a lot of questions as to whether the house was haunted or the character was insane and creating the chaos. The remake has ZERO ambiguity, bad CGI and some lame story about an identical stranger.

• Like 1

1999 was a good year for bad movies, this should definitely join the pile that already includes "Deep Blue Sea" and "Lake Placid". Another remake came out that year of "House on Haunted Hill" that wasn't great either.

• Like 1

This movie is actually really solid for the first hour or so (which is generally CGI-free). They do a good job of building up the creepy atmosphere and Lili Taylor is really good at playing weird, damaged characters. But then you get to that CGI-heavy 2nd hour, and it all falls apart. My favorite part is Owen Wilson's death scene, where he defaces a painting of the ghost - despite being fully aware at that point that the ghost is real and probably wants to kill him - then gets sucked into the fireplace where a stone lion bites his head off.

1999 was a good year for bad movies, this should definitely join the pile that already includes "Deep Blue Sea" and "Lake Placid". Another remake came out that year of "House on Haunted Hill" that wasn't great either.

Unlike 2 out of 3 of those though, I have zero desire to revisit this, because I think I've only seen it once and remember it being one the most boring movies that I've EVER seen in a theater. Not the worst, but just unmemorable and a complete drag.

This "horror" movie doesnt get its first death till like an an hour and twenty in. The only good thing about this movie is the set design.

This "horror" movie doesnt get its first death till like an an hour and twenty in. The only good thing about this movie is the set design.

I'd say they were trying to make a good old-fashioned haunted house movie (which I'd argue they do well for the first hour) so a body count isn't important (or necessary).

But I absolutely agree about the set design, it is gorgeous.

I'd say they were trying to make a good old-fashioned haunted house movie (which I'd argue they do well for the first hour) so a body count isn't important (or necessary).

Jan de Bont made this, and he was a cinematographer first, so it doesn't surprise me that it looks great overall, but it's almost like someone made a bet with him that he couldn't top himself and make a movie more boring than "Speed 2"...

I'd say its somewhat necessary to set up any kind of stakes for the rest of the characters. Up until Owen Wilson loses his head, the house is basically just being a passive aggressive asshole.

They could have at least started off on a flashback with previous inhabitants of the house either getting killed or run out of the house terrified.

Also fuck this movie for casting Bruce Dern in a two line role.

Sign in to follow this