🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 236 — Disrupted Harmonies

This week, Kulap and Howard, field a showbiz curveball when their guest fails to make it to the studio. Additionally, Howard and Stard give an exclusive look into the process of how they create perfect harmonies. Later, the gang discusses why 'Mad Max: Fury Road' was right up Stard's alley, as well as how long it will take to make the sequel. Lastly, the crew pulls double duty when they both ask and answer questions from Chartists!

Yet another podcast jumpin on the mood lighting bandwagon

LOVE.IT.

• Like 3

You know who shows up when booked? Sean and Hayes. Let's try that soon!

• Like 5

I am thinking that most of the chartists are not Fetty Wap's target audience, but is anyone reading this a fan of "Trap Queen"? I find this song to be completely awful, I've heard nothing of the beat and its tune, the lyrics, or the guy's voice that are in any way redeeming.

Most new 'rap' or hiphop seems to be less of what the genre used to be and more awful electronic pared down beats with that same awful cop out of voices saying "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" at every off beat, but usually when they are top charting hits, I can hear what the general public is latching onto in the song or the artist. I 100% don't get this song's strength, its not like "Coco" where its comedic value was without a doubt buoying its popularity.

somebody explain what they respect or like about that song, I want to have some faith in humanity

You know who shows up when booked? Sean and Hayes. Let's try that soon!

oh god, go to your bathroom, look in the mirror, and speak on that to yourself for hours or days

oh god, go to your bathroom, look in the mirror, and speak on that to yourself for hours or days

Oo Stan. I'd have to say you're, well, a bit of a curmudgeon! Butdum all joking a salad, your name 'Stan'... Four letters.. Four Washington Lane! The white house! Can't wait to hear from you next ONNNN the forums.. Where Hollywood Handbook fans are the only people that quote their hosts affectations!

• Like 4

snapback.pngStanSitwell, on 10 June 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

I am thinking that most of the chartists are not Fetty Wap's target audience, but is anyone reading this a fan of "Trap Queen"? I find this song to be completely awful, I've heard nothing of the beat and its tune, the lyrics, or the guy's voice that are in any way redeeming.

Most new 'rap' or hiphop seems to be less of what the genre used to be and more awful electronic pared down beats with that same awful cop out of voices saying "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" at every off beat, but usually when they are top charting hits, I can hear what the general public is latching onto in the song or the artist. I 100% don't get this song's strength, its not like "Coco" where its comedic value was without a doubt buoying its popularity.

somebody explain what they respect or like about that song, I want to have some faith in humanity

Trap Queen is a pretty fun song. It's nothing revolutionary or mindblowing, It's catchy, has a decent hook, is about a chick / not TOTALLY misogynistic. I don't think the beat is awful, it's pretty poppy but that's about it.

I like the remix Gucci, Quavo and Azelia Banks more. (The original is a bit repetitive / long)

• Like 2

I find this song to be completely awful, I've heard nothing of the beat and its tune, the lyrics, or the guy's voice that are in any way redeeming.

Most new 'rap' or hiphop seems to be less of what the genre used to be and more awful electronic pared down beats with that same awful cop out of voices saying "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" at every off beat,

If you said this in the 70s you could be talking about the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Plus how many Beatles songs have yeah or no sang in a catchy way?

Genres and hip hop and pop music among them change and shift. Everything that happened in rock music creatively is happening in hip hop, at an accelerated pace. When is the last time you listened to your city's new rock station? Rock and roll is dead except for like War on Drugs, Black Keys, or bands from the early 00s that are still putting stuff out.

I don't love this song in particular but I think it's pleasant sounding with a nice energy. I do however like autotune and bad voiced rap singing, with Young Thug and Kevin Gates etc. And less so but still enjoyable the dumb young artist shouty stuff with Rae Sremmurd and OG Mako and Migos but I think it's great fun. This song takes those two trends and makes a song where it can be played on the radio, thus chart topping! Plus, like most modern hip hop, it's whatever Kanye or Wayne/Drake and to a lesser extent Lil B did several years ago that gets popular.

• Like 1

If you said this in the 70s you could be talking about the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. Plus how many Beatles songs have yeah or no sang in a catchy way?

Genres and hip hop and pop music among them change and shift. Everything that happened in rock music creatively is happening in hip hop, at an accelerated pace. When is the last time you listened to your city's new rock station? Rock and roll is dead except for like War on Drugs, Black Keys, or bands from the early 00s that are still putting stuff out.

I don't love this song in particular but I think it's pleasant sounding with a nice energy. I do however like autotune and bad voiced rap singing, with Young Thug and Kevin Gates etc. And less so but still enjoyable the dumb young artist shouty stuff with Rae Sremmurd and OG Mako and Migos but I think it's great fun. This song takes those two trends and makes a song where it can be played on the radio, thus chart topping! Plus, like most modern hip hop, it's whatever Kanye or Wayne/Drake and to a lesser extent Lil B did several years ago that gets popular.

Thank you for your honest opinions, but your comment about the beatles saying "yeah" in their songs does not pertain to me issue with these new pop hip hop songs. I'm talking about when "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" in a quiet voice is literally a part of the beat for the entire song, like the beat is a recording of a guy saying "yeah", not like in the lyrics the singer says the word yeah a few times, I'm fine with that.

I wouldn't say I hate all of this type of stuff that I lump together, for example your mention of Rae Sremmurd, I think they are the artist behind "no flex zone". I wouldn't say I 'like' no flex zone, but I find the chorus and singing along to be addictive or fun as you explain you find Trap Queen, I just cant connect to it at all in any way

• Like 1

Thank you for your honest opinions, but your comment about the beatles saying "yeah" in their songs does not pertain to me issue with these new pop hip hop songs. I'm talking about when "yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah" in a quiet voice is literally a part of the beat for the entire song, like the beat is a recording of a guy saying "yeah", not like in the lyrics the singer says the word yeah a few times, I'm fine with that.

I wouldn't say I hate all of this type of stuff that I lump together, for example your mention of Rae Sremmurd, I think they are the artist behind "no flex zone". I wouldn't say I 'like' no flex zone, but I find the chorus and singing along to be addictive or fun as you explain you find Trap Queen, I just cant connect to it at all in any way

Ah I see what you mean! I think those are generally called 'ad libs.' They can be grating for sure. I had a bit of trouble getting into Chance because I found them annoying. But I listened to the new ASAP Rocky without looking at the track list for features and got so excited when I heard Schoolboy Q's signature ad lib early in a song. I think of them as kind of a purely vocal means to separate yourself and develop a sound, like a rock guitarist like The Edge has his delay pedal or the Stones a signature fuzz sound. But yeah Fetty Wap's are nondescript, but it's average pop music.

As far as connecting to kind of "dumb" hip hop like this, it's just the bravado and energy that's so infectious. Like how people that like metal or harder rock say it makes you want to run through a brick wall, hip hop makes you want to swagger and bob around to it. It's interesting to think about it more intellectually about what kind of self esteem and image issues a hip hop artist has to deal with as a part of that culture.

Caveat I'm white and male and nerdy so I really hope Andrew Ti doesn't get ahold of this bad boy

EDIT: I bet you'd enjoy the much more artful ASAP Rocky song "Excuse Me" that Howard and Kulap liked last Twooch. Mentioning it because it showed up on the podcast, has sort of dumb lyrics, ASAP 'sings' his own hook and has the signature flourish of the screwed voice. The beat is pretty different though, but it's a less radio friendly song from sort of similar inspirations

Oh shit, Stard, I'm totally with you on the Macy's thing. Back in 2004ish I worked at the Macy's in the Thousand Oaks Mall, and it was absolutely soul-crushing work. They started me out on the floor, and it was just basically clearing out the dressing rooms and folding clothes for eight hours. I eventually got on the register, and you're right, Christmas was a fucking nightmare. It's the only job I've ever had where I would get to work every day and just let out a deep sigh before getting out of the car. Fuck that place.

• Like 1

Ku sounded like M.I.A. when she sang "Gu Cruise for life". Also, Howard should do shot-for-shots of random Letterman episodes. Letterman was so inimitable, but it would be a hilarious tribute to see.

• Like 1

the darkness has a new album out as of last tuesday: last of our kind

all barbarian-y themed.

it is AH-mazing.

i haven't stopped listening to it.

also: their previous album "hot cakes" is a summah sound track.

try it.

now.

i'll wait...

• Like 1

If you need a Jerry Minor fix, and you haven't listened to Hooray Show yet, go check those out. He's done a few and he talks about being a Jehovah's Witness on one episode.

Sign in to follow this