🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Hello Paul, you are the greatest entertainer/human, in case you didn't know. I love every episode of this great podcast, and "Savannah, GA" is a personal favourite. Seeing as how the Savannan contraptioneer doesn't seem to have a name, what would you call him, or is he better left nameless? Thank you for doing all the things you do, and I hope Mitch recovers!

• Like 1

EDITED FOR MATH PURPOSES

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Paul,

Thanks for putting together a fantastic show. I agree with a previous comment -- it has absolutely become part of a ritual for me. That actually seems kind of creepy now that I have written it.

Anyway -- I am assuming you plan on having a "season" rather than the ongoing podcast like CBB. Is that correct? If so, how many episodes do you think you will run off in a season?

Thanks for all you do. Your presence in the world absolutely makes it a better and funnier place.

• Like 1

Hey, Paul. Love the podcast, as well as everything else you do. Any chance of a Super Ego crossover episode of Spont with the whole crew on at once?

This will definitely happen.

• Like 13

How different in terms of time and pressure is it to make this podcast, with the Earwolf support staff behind you, compared to going-it-alone as you did with the Tompkast?

Night and day. It's sooooo much easier. And I haven't really engaged Earwolf's help much yet, other than the technical staff! Every episode thus far I've booked myself, I get to reserve my own studio time, and we've been recording two episodes a week as often as we can, so we're set through August. I've never been ahead this far on anything I've ever done! It's been nothing but fun. It's still harder on Eban than it is on me, because he's got to drag a keyboard into Earwolf, but it's far easier for both of us than our previous project(s) together.

• Like 11

Paul,

Thanks for putting together a fantastic show. I agree with a previous comment -- it has absolutely become part of a ritual for me. That actually seems kind of creepy now that I have written it.

Anyway -- I am assuming you plan on having a "season" rather than the ongoing podcast like CBB. Is that correct? If so, how many episodes do you think you will run off in a season?

Thanks for all you do. Your presence in the world absolutely makes it a better and funnier place.

This sumbitch is an ongoing concern. You will get it all the year round.

Thank you for your nice words!

• Like 17

What do you feel are the biggest challenges of narrative improv, as opposed to long-form improv you might hear on Improv4Humans? Aside from just remembering a lot more details.

Really, it's developing the story. Shorter scenes can be heightened pretty quickly, but to tell one story over, usually, 30 minutes means you have to feel out when things should get more involved and when the stakes need to be raised. We all have to try to get to a cliffhanger-y moment to take us to that break in the middle of the story, and that's probably the most challenging thing. Second would be wrapping it up in a fun way in a timely manner. Not too long, not too short.

And this is a relatively new world for me. I am still learning. I have thrown myself into the deep end but invited three lifeguards in with me.

• Like 10

Mr. Tompkins,

In your opinion, what has been the most genuinely surprising (and positive) thing to happen as a result of SPONTANEANATION?

And a follow up (if allowed), do you still get nervous when launching a new show like this or do your past experiences and successes give you the confidence to know--even at inception--that something is going to work?

Thank you for your time, your talent, and the laughter you bring every Monday! And thanks also to Eben and the gang at Earwolf as well!

• Like 4

this question isn't exactly specific to this show, but I've always wanted to ask a podcaster something and this is the first opportunity that has presented itself...

due to the fact that there are SO many podcasts out there that I've subscribed to, I have resigned myself to listening to them at 2x the speed (on an iPhone, this translates to roughly 1.5x or so) just so I have the time to actually listen to them all. from what I've read, the human brain can receive information much, much faster than it can produce it, so it's very easy to get used to things being sped up.

now for the actual question: does this notion offend or upset you in any way, especially since there's a musical component to your show?

You said you won't be doing any pre-existing characters on SPONT, but will we see any characters from the show end up in the CBBuniverse or elsewhere? Some have been popping up in the commercials and I can imagine there are others you want to continue exploring.

• Like 3

Who would be your dream sky's-the-limit, probably-won't-happen "get" for an improvisor on Spontaneanation? The show has already introduced me to many great people I wasn't yet familiar with, so thank you!

• Like 1

Mr. Tompkins,

In your opinion, what has been the most genuinely surprising (and positive) thing to happen as a result of SPONTANEANATION?

And a follow up (if allowed), do you still get nervous when launching a new show like this or do your past experiences and successes give you the confidence to know--even at inception--that something is going to work?

Thank you for your time, your talent, and the laughter you bring every Monday! And thanks also to Eben and the gang at Earwolf as well!

Oh, I was very nervous to launch the show. This was a new format that I'd never done before and people hadn't heard from me. New experiences induce nerves. Sometimes it's just anxious excitement, but with something like this, I was just anxious. It's hard to keep perspective on something new. Once people responded positively, I was reassured that I wasn't crazy to have done this after all.

So far, the most surprising and positive result of the podcast is people liking it! It's still early days, so I'm sure there are more unexpected benefits to come.

FINGERS CROSSED.

• Like 8

this question isn't exactly specific to this show, but I've always wanted to ask a podcaster something and this is the first opportunity that has presented itself...

due to the fact that there are SO many podcasts out there that I've subscribed to, I have resigned myself to listening to them at 2x the speed (on an iPhone, this translates to roughly 1.5x or so) just so I have the time to actually listen to them all. from what I've read, the human brain can receive information much, much faster than it can produce it, so it's very easy to get used to things being sped up.

now for the actual question: does this notion offend or upset you in any way, especially since there's a musical component to your show?

You are probably listening to too many podcasts.

• Like 7

Who would be your dream sky's-the-limit, probably-won't-happen "get" for an improvisor on Spontaneanation? The show has already introduced me to many great people I wasn't yet familiar with, so thank you!

Stephen Colbert.

• Like 10

Oh, I was very nervous to launch the show. This was a new format that I'd never done before and people hadn't heard from me. New experiences induce nerves. Sometimes it's just anxious excitement, but with something like this, I was just anxious. It's hard to keep perspective on something new. Once people responded positively, I was reassured that I wasn't crazy to have done this after all.

So far, the most surprising and positive result of the podcast is people liking it! It's still early days, so I'm sure there are more unexpected benefits to come.

FINGERS CROSSED.

Thank you, Paul! It was very kind of you to answer my question. If it makes any difference, you have at least one loyal, lifelong listener in this faceless, Internet non-person. So congratulations and here's hoping for your continued success!

And, if I may be so bold to ask one last question, is there any chance we'll be seeing Jen Kirkman on the show either as a guest or participant?

• Like 1

And, if I may be so bold to ask one last question, is there any chance we'll be seeing Jen Kirkman on the show either as a guest or participant?

I wouldn't be a BIT surprised.

• Like 10

This may not be something you have control over, but when will we start to see Spontaneanation Merch? I personally would love a T-shirt that says "Spontaneanation: You're Not On Trial Here!â„¢"

(A T-shirt that I will wear under my fashionable suit from Trunk Club, of course.)

2 questions:

1) on a scale of one to ten, how frustrated do you get when someone interrupts you mid-sentence with a flashback/fast forward?

2) is there any chance we get a spinoff comic about the adventures of Mitch and Dolores?

• Like 2

So far every episode of Spontaneanation has had at least one instance of your notorious off mic laughter. It's gotten to the point where it's been spotted in podcasts where you're not listed as a guest.

Do you enjoy the fact that so many people enjoy the sound of you enjoying yourself?

• Like 1

Hello Paul! I want to start off by saying I'm a huge fan of your work and thank you for all the wonderful things you do.

Which of the CBB running jokes (it's been, hey nong man, technicality no down boo over, ect.) is your favorite and are there any you don't enjoy so much? Thanks again!

2 questions:

1) on a scale of one to ten, how frustrated do you get when someone interrupts you mid-sentence with a flashback/fast forward?

2) is there any chance we get a spinoff comic about the adventures of Mitch and Dolores?

1) It is, I swear, not frustrating at all! It makes me laugh. Improv requires that you let go and move on immediately. So even if you feel you had something great you were just about to get to, you have to stop thinking about that thing that got cut off and start listening to what's happening now. It's also a good thing to keep in mind in life: just because one thing didn't work out the way you expected it to, you have to trust that other good things are in the offing that you weren't even thinking about.

2) Yes! Just as soon as you write and illustrate it. Keep me posted!

• Like 11