🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Yes, they are released in the order in which they are recorded. So that was a TOOOOOTAL Dave Foley question.

Wait! What about the live episodes?! Was this week's episode actually the 5th or 6th recorded? Tell us the truth, Paul F. Tompkins - if that is your real name!

• Like 2

Wait! What about the live episodes?! Was this week's episode actually the 5th or 6th recorded? Tell us the truth, Paul F. Tompkins - if that is your real name!

The episodes are released in the order they are recorded.

• Like 2

The episodes are released in the order they are recorded.

"...the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind."

• Like 4

We're all thinking it, so I'll be the one to ask: Did you see the video that Liz (Solipsistic Fibrosis) made about Spontaneanation, parodying your song "It's Paul F. Tompkins Time" from the old days of Comedy Death Ray-dio? It's a really adorable homage to your storied career. One of the coolest works of fanart I've ever seen.

Potentially related question: Do you ever get flustered or discomfited by fans, or feel like they're making too big a deal about you?

• Like 3

We're all thinking it, so I'll be the one to ask: Did you see the video that Liz (Solipsistic Fibrosis) made about Spontaneanation, parodying your song "It's Paul F. Tompkins Time" from the old days of Comedy Death Ray-dio? It's a really adorable homage to your storied career. One of the coolest works of fanart I've ever seen.

Potentially related question: Do you ever get flustered or discomfited by fans, or feel like they're making too big a deal about you?

That is terrific! I am flattered. Fans are nice and I am lucky to have even a single one.

That said, this thread is really to answer questions about the show! I LOVE TO TALK ABOUT THE SHOW AS MUCH AS I HATE TO TALK ABOUT MYSELF!

But again, thank you.

• Like 4

I tried asking about the show, but my queries about the fate of the Cockney Underpants Sprite went unaddressed!

• Like 2

Paul:

I teach sixth-grade drama, and I want them to hear some narrative audio improv of the sort you do on the show. Unfortunately, however, eleven-year-olds have short attention spans and anything I bring in to share with the class needs to be squeaky clean. Is anybody else doing this kind of thing in the podcast-o-sphere, or is Spontaneanation something new in the world?

Hi Paul, I was lucky enough to attend your taping for Crying and Driving. Your purple tie reminded me of the purple of the Spontaneanation logo, and you also had what looked like a pin on your lapel, but I could not make out what it was. Was it a Spontaneanation pin?

That is terrific! I am flattered. Fans are nice and I am lucky to have even a single one.

That said, this thread is really to answer questions about the show! I LOVE TO TALK ABOUT THE SHOW AS MUCH AS I HATE TO TALK ABOUT MYSELF!

But again, thank you.

Thank you so much for watching my video, Paul. I'm so glad you like it.

Back to SPONT-related questions:

I started making the video before I really even knew what SPONT was (or how to pronounce it), but I was excited because you and Earwolf did such a great job with the roll-out. You planted seeds, and we started searching for clues.

https://instagram.com/p/z3D-NXLn2Q/

What gave you the idea to start it with a mystery? Did we react like you hoped we would? Was it fun or frustrating when we guessed wrong? ("Superego must be moving to Earwolf!" "No, it's a J.W. Stillwater podcast!")

I'll take my answer off the air.

Paul:

I teach sixth-grade drama, and I want them to hear some narrative audio improv of the sort you do on the show. Unfortunately, however, eleven-year-olds have short attention spans and anything I bring in to share with the class needs to be squeaky clean. Is anybody else doing this kind of thing in the podcast-o-sphere, or is Spontaneanation something new in the world?

I do not imagine I am the first person to do a narrative improv show in the podcasting medium, but I don't know any others off the top of my head. No doubt there are more out there!

However, I DO imagine you will have a tough time finding one that is clean enough to play for sixth graders. Happy hunting!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for watching my video, Paul. I'm so glad you like it.

Back to SPONT-related questions:

I started making the video before I really even knew what SPONT was (or how to pronounce it), but I was excited because you and Earwolf did such a great job with the roll-out. You planted seeds, and we started searching for clues.

https://instagram.com/p/z5EfwGoKYf/

https://instagram.com/p/z3D-NXLn2Q/

What gave you the idea to start it with a mystery? Did we react like you hoped we would? Was it fun or frustrating when we guessed wrong? ("Superego must be moving to Earwolf!" "No, it's a J.W. Stillwater podcast!")

I'll take my answer off the air.

I just thought it would be fun! I was not frustrated by people's guesses.

• Like 3

Well you were right, it was tons of fun. Thank you!

Guys, if you don't get in here and ask Paul some more questions, I'm going to. And then he'll become annoyed with me and I'll have to commit harakiri. Do you want the blood of my ritual suicide on your hands? Don't let me become a Paul-hog!

• Like 1

Paul, in an ideal world, what sort of SPONTANEANATION merchandise finery would you like made available to avid listeners?

• Like 1

Would you ever consider having a musically inclined comedian (or comedically inclined musician) as a guest in Eban's place? Do you fear Eban's wrath too much to replace him even temporarily?

Paul, did you buy that amazing suit you wore on @midnight that matched the Spont pin on your lapel ever so perfectly, or was it already in your wardrobe?

And as a break from your usual fashion questions, who is a guest that you would like to have on that hasn't been able to as of yet?

ps: heynong man, your comparison of my plugs theme to Tom Waits/Van Morrison Astral Weeks era was bang on ;)

• Like 1

Any suggestions about things we could do that would frustrate you? Asking for a friend.

Paul, in an ideal world, what sort of SPONTANEANATION merchandise finery would you like made available to avid listeners?

It's maybe a little too soon for that! I'll start thinking about merchandise when I can fill Largo every month for the live shows.

• Like 2

Would you ever consider having a musically inclined comedian (or comedically inclined musician) as a guest in Eban's place? Do you fear Eban's wrath too much to replace him even temporarily?

We'd only EVER have a guest accompanist if there were a studio recording or live show that Eban ABSOLUTELY could not attend. And we'd make sure that that person knew the whole time that that person is a garbage substitute not fit to buff Eban Schletter's fingertip pads.

EDITED for typo

• Like 13

Who is a guest that you would like to have on that hasn't been able to as of yet?

The list is too long! Certainly a sitting President, now that THAT'S a thing.

• Like 7

It's maybe a little too soon for that! I'll start thinking about merchandise when I can fill Largo every month for the live shows.

As a person who does not live in Los Angeles, and therefore unable to attend even one of your shows, I find it odius and despicable that people are not filling Largo every month. Do the people of Los Angeles not know how lucky they are? A pox on all their houses! (Although, not really...because that would be pretty tragic--and if Jim Carey had his way-a real possibility)

I should ask a question too, huh? I can't really think of anything at the moment, so I'll just make that my question. Mr Tompkins: huh?

• Like 4

The list is too long! Certainly a sitting President, now that THAT'S a thing.

I can't think that Rocky B would have too much in the line of improv chops, but I bet he'd pick a hell of a location.

• Like 1

I can't think that Rocky B would have too much in the line of improv chops, but I bet he'd pick a hell of a location.

"And the location is... 'The room where I oversaw the killing of Osama Bin Laden while saving America's healthcare system.' "

Sad to see Speakeasy go, I was a devoted watcher and felt like it was being grossly under-watched for how good it was.

How do you feel about the level of interest in Spontaneanation at this point? Do you think having a less hectic schedule will reflect positively on your content?

...or live sow that Eban ABSOLUTELY could not attend.

LA sounds like a weird place.

• Like 2