🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Sad to see Speakeasy go, I was a devoted watcher and felt like it was being grossly under-watched for how good it was.

How do you feel about the level of interest in Spontaneanation at this point? Do you think having a less hectic schedule will reflect positively on your content?

I do not have access to all the download info so I cannot speak to Spontaneanation's overall popularity, but I can say that my level of interest in this show is HIGH.

Having a less hectic schedule will ONLY affect my content positively.

• Like 4

Any reason why you didn't do any characters on the ads of the last episode?

(it may seem that I signed up just to ask this question but I've been meaning to sign up for a long time now.)

Any reason why you didn't do any characters on the ads of the last episode?

(it may seem that I signed up just to ask this question but I've been meaning to sign up for a long time now.)

The reason is very simple: I didn't have time! As much as this show is supposed to be all about being in the moment and not doing pre- and post--production, the funny-izing the ads actually takes time. I have been avoiding doing repeat characters for the same product, and trying to keep coming up with new ones. And when I get the ad scripts, some of them are SO scripted that I reformat them into bullet points so can come up with stuff around the edges. But that takes time, and this particular episode had no new sponsors and no new copy from the repeat sponsors. And I had other stuff going on, so I just read them. We will be back to funny ads on Monday's episode.

I'm glad you signed up just to ask about the only part of the podcast you seem to like, which is the ads.

• Like 11

On the topic of ads, when I first learned SPONT was coming, my only concern was that you'd have to do ads. I don't want you to do anything you don't want to do (as much as I'll miss Speakeasy and DAP) and therefore the prospect worried me a bit.

Since hearing your ads, of course, all my fears have been alleviated - they're fantastic and I'm glad you're (usually) able to have fun with them.

Still, I know I'm not the only one who was a little surprised at a couple of the products. I know all Earwolf podcasters have 100% veto rights, so I know it's your decision, and that's wonderful.

I'm just wondering if you've used that veto power yet. You don't have to name names, but are there any ads you've declined to do? Are there any that Midroll knows not to even bother you with?

For example, I've heard ads for Adam & Eve on other podcasts. While I'm sure you'd make it hilarious, I'm afraid my fragile constitution couldn't withstand such a thing. I would surely require a handkerchief and someone to fetch the smelling salts.

For example, I've heard ads for Adam & Eve on other podcasts.

See, now that just BEGS for Mitch and Delores.

• Like 2

Is there any pre-amble to your show for the improvisers, guidelines of any sorts that you give them to follow?

I ask because various improvisers can push scenes into different territories, and if there was a shade of blue that you don't want Spontaneanation to foray into, would you flex your host generalship to "no, but" them?

Is there any pre-amble to your show for the improvisers, guidelines of any sorts that you give them to follow?

I ask because various improvisers can push scenes into different territories, and if there was a shade of blue that you don't want Spontaneanation to foray into, would you flex your host generalship to "no, but" them?

The show is what it is, and what it is is what it ends up being that day. Some shows will be bluer than others. No guidelines are given; I would not want my guests to be in their heads whilst improvising. I book people who make me laugh, and the rest takes care of itself. I'm happy to follow them down whatever path they care to lead me, and part of the fun for me is the challenge of embracing ideas that are outside of my established realm.

• Like 5

Well said! Thank you for your continued excellence in the podcast realm and for the opportunity to engage in any sort of correspondence with you.

Hastily shutting up your guest will never be unfunny for me.

Earwolf has a stable of great improvisers now... Lauren Lapkus, Horatio Sanz, Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Andy Daly, Jason Mantzoukas, and Matt Besser. Are you planning an all-Earwolf show anytime soon? Maybe with Jimmy Pardo as your guest?

Earwolf has a stable of great improvisers now... Lauren Lapkus, Horatio Sanz, Jessica St. Clair, Lennon Parham, Andy Daly, Jason Mantzoukas, and Matt Besser. Are you planning an all-Earwolf show anytime soon? Maybe with Jimmy Pardo as your guest?

An all-Earwolf show will definitely happen at some point, hopefully live.

• Like 4

May I give a location? Being stuck at the Baltimore airport for 5 hours.

• Like 1

Regarding the time jump sound effects, what tracks are they on your sound effects record, and were they sampled from H.G. Wells' time machine?

• Like 1

Eban's contemporaneous improvised incidental music was such a special part of the Pod F. Tompkast, and I was over-the-moon happy to hear it back for this new project. Other than just making it sound amazing, how does having that soundtrack change the the improvisation experience? There are times when Eban's piano feels like a fifth cast member...

• Like 1

Eban's contemporaneous improvised incidental music was such a special part of the Pod F. Tompkast, and I was over-the-moon happy to hear it back for this new project. Other than just making it sound amazing, how does having that soundtrack change the the improvisation experience? There are times when Eban's piano feels like a fifth cast member...

For the opening monologues, Eban's piano is very transportive for me. It relaxes me and allows me to open up my mind and be present enough to follow whatever crazy thoughts I have wherever they may go. I will often shut my eyes and just focus on the piano and my own voice so I can feel disembodied. IT'S JUST THE BEST FEELING, IS ALL.

For the improv, I think we feel it even when we are not conscious of it. It adds to everything immeasurably. Plus we can make up songs sometimes! When I listen back to the episodes and hear what Eban has done, it is always immensely gratifying-- I think his playing (including his own personal improvisation!) enriches the show in a truly magical way.

• Like 7

One thing I love about this show is that there are so many funny women on it! I think there's only been one episode that was all guys (which was still hilarious), but it's always nice to hear these awesome ladies on Spontaneanation. That goes for both guests and improvisers.

Is this something you consciously think about when booking the show, or is it just that you happen to know a lot of funny people and many of them happen to be women so it just works out enough to give you such a good balance?

• Like 3

Hey Paul, love the podcast. Also, thanks for coming to the St Louis area and doing a show recently. It was really strange to see you perform at McKendree College, out in the middle of nowhere, to a very atypical crowd (for a PFT show, but not for the rural midwest). But despite the crowd, you were a consummate performer as always, and throughly entertained myself and my weirdo friends as well as 80 year old McKendree alumni who only knew you as "a guy that's on the tv, apparently."

Do you think you'll ever take Spont on a tour, other than just playing live in LA or NYC on occasion? I'd love to have the chance to see the magic live sometime.

• Like 2

One thing I love about this show is that there are so many funny women on it! I think there's only been one episode that was all guys (which was still hilarious), but it's always nice to hear these awesome ladies on Spontaneanation. That goes for both guests and improvisers.

Is this something you consciously think about when booking the show, or is it just that you happen to know a lot of funny people and many of them happen to be women so it just works out enough to give you such a good balance?

it is conscious! I would like the show to be as diverse as possible. I am fortunate to know a lot of hilarious women. I am also making a concerted effort to book more people of color, both as interview guests and improvisers. I would like as many points of view/reference as possible on the show.

• Like 6

Hey Paul, love the podcast. Also, thanks for coming to the St Louis area and doing a show recently. It was really strange to see you perform at McKendree College, out in the middle of nowhere, to a very atypical crowd (for a PFT show, but not for the rural midwest). But despite the crowd, you were a consummate performer as always, and throughly entertained myself and my weirdo friends as well as 80 year old McKendree alumni who only knew you as "a guy that's on the tv, apparently."

Do you think you'll ever take Spont on a tour, other than just playing live in LA or NYC on occasion? I'd love to have the chance to see the magic live sometime.

I would love to do a Spontaneanation tour! I am actually trying to figure out how that would work, logistically. I'm used to traveling by myself, so it's a bit of a puzzle to be solved. I think also I need to keep building the show to make sure a tour is not an exercise in hubris.

I thought that McKendree show went over well with everyone, but now you've got me wondering...?

• Like 4

it is conscious! I would like the show to be as diverse as possible. I am fortunate to know a lot of hilarious women. I am also making a concerted effort to book more people of color, both as interview guests and improvisers. I would like as many points of view/reference as possible on the show.

Major kudes.

After hearing Tymberlee Hill's tour de force performance on The Dead Authors Podcast, I pray she is among your list of guests.

• Like 3

That makes me so happy. I love the diversity on Spontaneanation, and I hope to see it grow even more as keep working in that vein.

Thank you so much for answering my question. Since it was really kind of a softball (albeit one based in genuine curiosity), I want to pose the really tough questions now. This one was from way back in episode 7, but another user posted it, and I think it's such a good question that I'm going to quote him here:

How are we not already calling the beginning of the show where it's just PFT talking the "pre-ramble"?

I told him/her to tweet you and ask you about that before I knew about this thread, but I don't think they did. Can we make this the official name of your opening riff?

• Like 2

I told him/her to tweet you and ask you about that before I knew about this thread, but I don't think they did.

rsfKvnX.png

rsfKvnX.png

Apparently, I missed that tweet. From Paul's lips to God's ears. Thanks for letting me know!

Paul, do you smoke weed before/after your recordings? If not, do you indulge every now and then?

Paul, do you smoke weed before/after your recordings? If not, do you indulge every now and then?

I do not have access to all the download info so I cannot speak to Spontaneanation's overall popularity, but I can say that my level of interest in this show is HIGH.

Having a less hectic schedule will ONLY affect my content positively.

• Like 3

I thought that McKendree show went over well with everyone, but now you've got me wondering...?

No, no! I didn't mean to lead you to believe that it didn't go over well. I meant that you kept things very funny, interesting, and unconventional (classic PFT) but I also felt like you knew for whom you were performing. When I got to the show, I was a bit nervous because it was a lot of people that have season tickets to the shows at McKendree simply because it is was something going on in town and/or they went there decades ago. But I definitely got the impression that the whole audience loved the show! Did you tailor the material or delievery to the crowd at all? I am very curious about that.