🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Is it safe to say that the name, Spontaneanation, is sort of a mistake? That it kind of sucks? Really bad? For me, I wouldn't listen less if it was a different name, but IT IS A CHORE to type out, correctly, "Spontanenation".... anyway, I'll go kill myself now.

Is it safe to say that the name, Spontaneanation, is sort of a mistake? That it kind of sucks? Really bad? For me, I wouldn't listen less if it was a different name, but IT IS A CHORE to type out, correctly, "Spontanenation".... anyway, I'll go kill myself now.

I don't know how often you're spelling it out, but my various devices have all learned how to autocomplete it and I would wager I write it more than you do. I came up with that name because I thought it was a fun name. It's also really not that hard to get the hang of. I do not feel it is a mistake.

It always bums me out when someone who purports to like what I do also likes just being mean. I really don't get it.

• Like 12

No, no! I didn't mean to lead you to believe that it didn't go over well. I meant that you kept things very funny, interesting, and unconventional (classic PFT) but I also felt like you knew for whom you were performing. When I got to the show, I was a bit nervous because it was a lot of people that have season tickets to the shows at McKendree simply because it is was something going on in town and/or they went there decades ago. But I definitely got the impression that the whole audience loved the show! Did you tailor the material or delievery to the crowd at all? I am very curious about that.

Glad to hear it! They were a nice audience. I did not tailor my material or delivery in any way. I kinda think there's no point in doing that. I do what I do and it either works or it doesn't! I have to trust not just myself and my abilities but also the audience.

• Like 2

I don't know how often you're spelling it out, but my various devices have all learned how to autocomplete it and I would wager I write it more than you do. I came up with that name because I thought it was a fun name. It's also really not that hard to get the hang of. I do not feel it is a mistake.

It always bums me out when someone who purports to like what I do also likes just being mean. I really don't get it.

Hey, don't worry about it. Its easy to say. But it does feel awkward when I type it on a keyboard. Spontaneanation. My fingers want to autocomplete spontaneous but I have to stop and type nation. That's all I was getting at. I'm bored also.

Hey, don't worry about it. Its easy to say. But it does feel awkward when I type it on a keyboard. Spontaneanation. My fingers want to autocomplete spontaneous but I have to stop and type nation. That's all I was getting at. I'm bored also.

It's strange that you inferred that I was worried about it? When really I was insulted? So let's not talk anymore? Ever? I honestly did not set this up so people could be dicks to me. Maybe you've had different experiences with other people. But I'm me! And I'm done with you.

• Like 5

That was amazing.

No further questions your honour.

To maybe lighten the mood! Have you ever thought of doing a live VPN style taping of an episode?

Have you ever thought of doing a live VPN style taping of an episode?

It hasn't been finalized yet, but something along these lines is likely to happen in September!

• Like 9

No further questions your honour.

You're not the one on trial here.

• Like 1

It's strange that you inferred that I was worried about it? When really I was insulted? So let's not talk anymore? Ever? I honestly did not set this up so people could be dicks to me. Maybe you've had different experiences with other people. But I'm me! And I'm done with you.

I thought I was trying to be funny... none of it was serious... and I guess it doesn't come across in text format... I'm sorry. You're one of my heroes, Paul.

Seriously, I love you, Paul. I know we're internet strangers and I can't bust your balls like a friend.

"Hey, your ideas suck!" is my favorite form of jovial ball-busting.

• Like 6

Hi Paul, long-time first-time etc.

Forgive me if I'm straying too far from the intended format in asking about something Speakeasy-related in a Spont thread:

In Scott Aukerman's Speakeasy interview, he asks you if you sit around at home in a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and Bermuda shorts. This question still bugs the hell out of me.

I wonder what a nattily-dressed fellow such as yourself wears around the house. Do you change into sweatpants and a t-shirt at the end of the day and say, "Boy am I glad to get out of that monkey suit?" Are you more of a smoking jacket and satin pajamas man? Perhaps you're a behind-closed-doors nudist?

I'll take my answer off the air, if at all.

• Like 3

Hi Paul, long-time first-time etc.

Forgive me if I'm straying too far from the intended format in asking about something Speakeasy-related in a Spont thread:

In Scott Aukerman's Speakeasy interview, he asks you if you sit around at home in a Led Zeppelin t-shirt and Bermuda shorts. This questions still bugs the hell out of me.

I wonder what a nattily-dressed fellow such as yourself wears around the house. Do you change into sweatpants and a t-shirt at the end of the day and say, "Boy am I glad to get out of that monkey suit?" Are you more of a smoking jacket and satin pajamas man? Perhaps you're a behind-closed-doors nudist?

I'll take my answer off the air, if at all.

I feel like they talked about this in the Kaitlin Olson interview, but I don't remember if he said anything about what he wears at home. All I remember is the term "pre-j's". I guess that means I must force myself to go back and thoroughly enjoy this episode again!

Seriously, I love you, Paul. I know we're internet strangers and I can't bust your balls like a friend.

Hey, thank you for your apology. Sincerely. And I am relieved that you were just trying to joke around. The problem is, although the people who like what I do are OVERWHELMINGLY positive, there are enough people-- albeit a tiny percentage-- who say stuff like you did when you were joking but are completely serious about it. Worse is when they are saying something to praise me by insulting someone else's work.

I am grateful to you for understanding why it didn't translate. Initially, I really did try and read what you were saying as a joke, but it came off sincere to me, And when you responded to MY response the way you did, it made me think, Oh, this dude is definitely serious!

You are at a bit of a disadvantage, it's true; if I say something teasing to someone, friend or stranger, on a public forum, it's probably a safe bet that I'm kidding. I actually try to make sure I phrase things so it leaves little room for doubt that I am coming from a good place. But I can STILL be misinterpreted. On your side of things, you are using a phrase for your "name" and a picture of someone else as your avatar, so it's much more work for me to read your intentions if they seem on the line to me.

This is just classic internet shit. It's a shame that there are enough cowardly drips out there trying to get a rise out of people that it puts other people on guard more often than not.

I am grateful to you for reaching out and understanding and, I hope, not holding this against me. And I am grateful for you and all the other thoughtful people like you for your support of my work.

• Like 14

This is just classic internet shit. It's a shame that there are enough cowardly drips out there trying to get a rise out of people that it puts other people on guard more often than not. I am grateful to you for reaching out and understanding and, I hope, not holding this against me. And I am grateful for you and all the other thoughtful people like you for your support of my work.

REDACTED

Edit: Yeah, that joke's not gonna land. Paul F. Tompkins is a wonderful person, and sarcasm doesn't work right on the internet.

Edited by L. Ron Funches

Well, I am crazy for the cornballs and I want "Don" to bring out the girls. But its all good... Jimmy Pardo called me an "asshole" once on his podcast and I love it. I also love that you come on here and participate in these forums. Its awesome! I'm just some dumbass living in TN, and I get to interact with one of the funniest people of all time. Yeah, the internet sucks, but it also rules. hahaaha

I am grateful to you for reaching out and understanding and, I hope, not holding this against me. And I am grateful for you and all the other thoughtful people like you for your support of my work.

I am so happy this worked out, I could cry. Paul, I (internet) know "Cornballs", he is a good guy and a great fan. He did the music for the video I made you. He just needs to learn how to use a winky emoji.

Peace and love, peace and love.

• Like 1

And Paul, your care, thoughtfulness and eloquence never cease to amaze. Is it too early to nominate you for Sainthood?

Okay, sorry, back on topic! Who's got questions?

• Like 1

Paul in the course of this Q&A you've gone from a lowly Newbie on the forum, to a Member, and finally to your rightful position of esteem as a Gentleman. How do you plan to celebrate?

Follow up question - Any regrets?

well I guess I got my jackass "joke" question answered.

sorry PFT. straight Q&A's from now on.

for the record I'm a huge fan and have been following you since Mr. Show. when you came on screen in There Will Be Blood I involuntarily yelled; "it's Paul F Tompkins!" and was shushed by an elderly couple. they seemed pretty upset by the film already though.

okay here's the Q; any plans to have Paul Rust on? I'd love to hear him in with your regulars.

• Like 1

any plans to have Paul Rust on? I'd love to hear him in with your regulars.

I would LOVE to have Paul on.

And congratulations! This is the last time I will answer a question about potential guests, because eventually someone will ask me about someone I DON'T want to have on the show! And I won't be able to answer!

And so, "any plans to have _______ on" is raised into the rafters [sports].

• Like 7

Hi Paul,

What image do you have in your head when you picture Eban as a talking piano? I just realized that I've been imagining a variation on the Typewriter from Sesame Street all this time.

On the subject of unspeakable horrors, will there be a SPONTANEANATION Halloween Special and, if so, will Eban be performing an all-theremin soundtrack for it?

• Like 5

I would LOVE to have Paul on.

And congratulations! This is the last time I will answer a question about potential guests, because eventually someone will ask me about someone I DON'T want to have on the show! And I won't be able to answer!

And so, "any plans to have _______ on" is raised into the rafters [sports].

Shit. And I was JUST about to ask if you had any plans to have Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on the show.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

• Like 3

Hi Paul, thanks for all that your teams do and for how well you do it. Here's a dumb question:

Are you generally ok if a rascally guest proposes that the location be something a little edgy,

like Fat Camp, Jesus Camp, or maybe Homosexuality Cure Camp? I could imagine a lot of

strange places that might get uncomfortable. I suppose you trust these folks to be a little better

than that, right? Or do I underestimate your group's sensitivities? Quite possibly...