🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

How rigid is the one-interview-guest-and-three-improvisor-guests format? Would there ever be a possibility of a special episode, say for an anniversary or something, with MORE THAN THREE Spontaneanation all-star improvisor guests? Because I'd love to hear Janet Varney and Marc Evan Jackson and Sarah Burns and Colleen Smith and Chris Tallman and Matt Gourley and Victor Yerrid and Craig Cackowski and Mark McConville and so many more ALL IN ONE EPISODE, although I would understand if such a thing was deemed too unmanageable.

Would you ever consider having Matt Besser on the show at some point when you have established your own group? ( In my mind it's already established because I love all of those crazy and wild strange cats) I hope I'm not rehashing the same question.

How rigid is the one-interview-guest-and-three-improvisor-guests format? Would there ever be a possibility of a special episode, say for an anniversary or something, with MORE THAN THREE Spontaneanation all-star improvisor guests? Because I'd love to hear Janet Varney and Marc Evan Jackson and Sarah Burns and Colleen Smith and Chris Tallman and Matt Gourley and Victor Yerrid and Craig Cackowski and Mark McConville and so many more ALL IN ONE EPISODE, although I would understand if such a thing was deemed too unmanageable.

It's not a matter of rigidity of template, it's purely practical. The smaller the group, the easier the show is to produce. I would LOVE to do a show like the one you're describing, and we could definitely do it at, say, UCB, but recording it would be a whole 'nother fishkettle. I don't think it's impossible though!

• Like 3

Would you ever consider having Matt Besser on the show at some point when you have established your own group? ( In my mind it's already established because I love all of those crazy and wild strange cats) I hope I'm not rehashing the same question.

I would love to have Matt Besser on and will definitely be reaching out to him at some point and I hope he will agree to do it!

• Like 4

Full disclosure, I'm just trying to tell you how much I love SuperEgo Forgotten Classics. I just finished it up and now Ill fit a question in here to justify myself. Are you planning on releasing more of these soon? I'm sorry for puting this in Spontanionation forum, but I am so excited, I just can't hide it.

Not a question and kinda sappy but here goes: I struggle a lot with anxiety which has led to me avoiding things that make uncomfortable, such as other people. I didn't start college until 23 because the idea of living on my own was terrifying. I avoided getting my driver's license because I was sure I'd be a terrible driver and also the idea of having someone watch me drive and then grade me on it was equally scary. I once quit a grocery store job on the first day because I was having a tough time and was too shy to ask questions. I struggled with stuff like this for my entire life. Then awhile back I came across this interview you did.

Your words about confronting fear and not taking the easy way out were truly inspirational and life-changing for me. Not to say I had never thought of these things before, but for whatever reason, hearing it from you was the tipping point and I just decided to make a change. I addressed my anxiety, and I've since improved my life in a lot of ways. Mostly I've just stopped taking the easy way out. Oh, and I just got my license at age 26, so it was also nice to know that someone waited even longer than I did. I also loved the part about not beating yourself up for past behavior and just being happy you've made a change for the better. I swear, it felt like you were speaking directly to me and my situation.

Anyways, point is, I just wanted to thank you.

• Like 7

Full disclosure, I'm just trying to tell you how much I love SuperEgo Forgotten Classics. I just finished it up and now Ill fit a question in here to justify myself. Are you planning on releasing more of these soon? I'm sorry for putting this in Spontaneanation forum, but I am so excited, I just can't hide it.

There are currently no additional SE:FC recordings scheduled, but I would imagine we'll be doing more at some point. I certainly hope so-- it was so much fun to do.

• Like 2

Paul F. Tompkins!

How much fun are you having doing SPONTANEANATION? I like my questions to have low stakes and easy answers.

• Like 2

Maybe? Not right now, but maybe? Eventually?

If you did it, would it be something in the heat of the moment? Where you'd be telling us what your heart meant?

Will the upcoming LA Podfest show be like the live Largo shows (with the jumping around on stage singing Smiths songs, as I understand it), or will it be more like a straightforward panel session? Looking forward to the video livestream.

Will the upcoming LA Podfest show be like the live Largo shows (with the jumping around on stage singing Smiths songs, as I understand it), or will it be more like a straightforward panel session? Looking forward to the video livestream.

It will be the studio version-- everyone seated around a table!

• Like 1

When did you first meet Eban and when did you think of the idea of him scoring your podcasts?

I met Eban in 1994 or 1995 and we started working together pretty quickly. He did the music for a sketch show I did with Jay Johnston around that time that led to my getting hired at Mr. Show. Since then I've worked with Eban whenever it was possible. When I started doing a live variety show at Largo in 2002, Eban was my musical director and would play as I did the thank-yous at the end of the show, which always turned into a long improvised ramble. When it came time for me to do my first podcast, I knew I wanted that dynamic to be a part of it. And Eban being Eban, he contributed so much more than just musical accompaniment. When Spontaneanation was taking shape, i knew that after our previous, production-heavy projects, I wanted us to do something we could both just show up to. And that's mostly what happens!

• Like 6

In that case, I would like to propose the following (which I sing while standing and holding my hand over my heart at the start of every episode):

Let the heavens open up and trumpets sound

with laughter and improvisa-tion

Shut up and gather all your family around for

Paul F. Tompkins' SPONTANEANATION

• Like 1

Hello Paul,

I think I can clear up the controversy once and for all. The choice of harp for past and vibraphone for future makes sense for at least two reasons.

First, the harp was created over 5500 years ago (practically the beginning of time), while the vibraphone was invented in the 1920s. This means that, for most of human history, harps were in the past and vibes were in the future1.

Second, and even more significantly, the words themselves attest to their proper meaning: harpast; vibraphuture. Q.E.D.

1Granted, vibes are now technically in the past, but the moon is sometimes visible during the day and yet we still think sun—day, moon—night.

• Like 1

Do you think you'll ever have Janie on as a guest or would that be super weird?

It would be weird to interview my wife. I can't even handle Paul Scheer and June Diane Raphael asking each other "How are you?" on their show.

• Like 7

Mr. Tompkins, I recognize that this is a thread specifically to ask you questions regarding Spontaneanation (which I love), but I have a question regarding Superego: Forgotten Classics. I hope you don'y mind, but since there currently isn't a place for us to post our thoughts on the Howl Premium shows, I thought it might not be too egregious a breach of etiquette to ask you here.

I am finding Forgotten Classics to be fantastic--a spiritual successor to The Dead Author's Podcast, if you will--and I have loved every episode so far. My question is, do you think there will be a time when the listeners of Forgotten Classics may be able to submit our own suggestions of works of classic literature for you guys to tackle? I'm not trying to presume I know what books you all have or have not read, but there are so many books that I would love to see get the Superego treatment--if only because their titles are truly evocative and I would love to hear all of your reactions to what they are actually about. Off the top of my head, I would love to hear:

The Crying of Lot 49--Thomas Pynchon

A Moveable Feast--Ernest Hemingway

Nightwood--Djuna Barnes

Trout Fishing in America--Richard Brautigan

The Sound and the Fury--William Faulkner

Brave New World--Aldous Huxley

Again, I apologize this isn't about Spontaneanation, but I'm just so excited for this new show!

As always, thank you very for your time and consideration!

• Like 1

That sounds like fucking chaos. And it would be magnificent.

• Like 1

Mr. Tompkins, I recognize that this is a thread specifically to ask you questions regarding Spontaneanation (which I love), but I have a question regarding Superego: Forgotten Classics. I hope you don'y mind, but since there currently isn't a place for us to post our thoughts on the Howl Premium shows, I thought it might not be too egregious a breach of etiquette to ask you here.

I am finding Forgotten Classics to be fantastic--a spiritual successor to The Dead Author's Podcast, if you will--and I have loved every episode so far. My question is, do you think there will be a time when the listeners of Forgotten Classics may be able to submit our own suggestions of works of classic literature for you guys to tackle? I'm not trying to presume I know what books you all have or have not read, but there are so many books that I would love to see get the Superego treatment--if only because their titles are truly evocative and I would love to hear all of your reactions to what they are actually about. Off the top of my head, I would love to hear:

The Crying of Lot 49--Thomas Pynchon

A Moveable Feast--Ernest Hemingway

Nightwood--Djuna Barnes

Trout Fishing in America--Richard Brautigan

Brave New World--Aldous Huxley

Again, I apologize this isn't about Spontaneanation, but I'm just so excited for this new show!

As always, thank you very for your time and consideration!

The time will definitely come when stuff about SE:FC can be knowledgeably adressed, but that time is not now! Glad you like the show-- we really enjoyed making it.

• Like 2

SE:FC

CPFT

(Classic Paul F. Tompkins)

• Like 3