🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

I'm a dumb hick from Ohio, so the only exposure I have to good improv is through podcasts (so thank you!). Prior to Spont, the only other improv-based podcast I listened to were Improv4Humans and Superego. I've noticed that the tone of the improv is typically broad and silly from the start, whereas typically with I4H and SE it starts more naturalistic and grows sillier as the game develops. Was this a conscious decision you made when thinking up the structure/tone of the podcast, or just something that happens naturally because of the vibe in the room? (This isn't a slam or anything, just an observation. I really appreciate this thread as someone who is interested in improv but doesn't have a lot of resources where I live)

It's really just a difference in a) sensibility and 2) scenes vs. narrative.

What was the source of the scary sound in today's episode? Was that Eban bending a piano to his will?! I was glad you said something about it in the show because it even freaked me out!

• Like 2

What was the source of the scary sound in today's episode? Was that Eban bending a piano to his will?! I was glad you said something about it in the show because it even freaked me out!

Oh right! I forgot about that! I haven't had a chance to listen back to the episode yet, but none of us had ANY idea at the time where it came from.

• Like 3

Love Will Tear Us Apart. Probably that one right? I mean I'd really like to see an A cappella version of New Dawn Fades, but I doubt that's what happened. Sorry I can't find the info on this "internet" of which you speak.

Anyhow...

No question just wanted to say today's show was absolutely brilliant!

Have you considered doing a musical episode of Spontaneanation, sung-through for the improv? Is that something you'd be interested in trying?

It's been a few episodes now that your interview guests have joined in on the game. Personally, I love it, and it's cool to see the show evolving.

Is this something you've been encouraging? Or is it just something that's happening?

I remember you being a bit stricter about the format early on (e.g., when Dave Foley tried to get into the conversation with the improvisers during their introductions), so were you just trying to establish things at that point? And then now that it's got a flow going, you can let it go where it will?

Whatever the reason, the show keeps getting even better every week, and I'm not sure how because they're all wonderful.

You should have an episode where instead of making it up on the spot, you plan it out for like 3 years, just to see if we notice.

This is not a question?

• Like 1

Hi Paul, did you know that there sure-as-shit IS a stage production of Lord of the Flies? I assumed there wasn't because it sounds ridiculous, and I assumed from your reaction to it during the episode that you thought the same. if you're interested I'll give you the full deets but maybe you knew all this and I'm just revealing myself as a Philistine. The Royal Shakespeare Company did it in 1995, is what I'm saying. I now own a copy of the "Acting Edition.". Freaky

Paul,

Did you really think I wouldn't notice you slipping in a "what up what up" at the beginning of today's Spont?

You trying to take my man Clem Dawg's catchphrase?

You're gonna have to try a little harder to get one past me, boyo.

Love,

Wheez the Sn'us

P.S. Good ep

• Like 1

It's been a few episodes now that your interview guests have joined in on the game. Personally, I love it, and it's cool to see the show evolving.

Is this something you've been encouraging? Or is it just something that's happening?

I remember you being a bit stricter about the format early on (e.g., when Dave Foley tried to get into the conversation with the improvisers during their introductions), so were you just trying to establish things at that point? And then now that it's got a flow going, you can let it go where it will?

Whatever the reason, the show keeps getting even better every week, and I'm not sure how because they're all wonderful.

It's always been encouraged, but it just so happened that the guests we had either didn't do improv or couldn't stick around. There are many more episodes coming up where the interview guest joins us!

• Like 5

If you had to build a full Ikea Liatorp system with one of these celebrities, who would you choose?

Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber

Sir Garry Marshall

Cake Boss

Daniel Day Lewis

Have you considered doing a musical episode of Spontaneanation, sung-through for the improv? Is that something you'd be interested in trying?

I think he touches on this earlier in the thread.

Paul, one of the things about the Pre-Ramble that always stands out for me is the varying cadence. It really makes me curious about the process of the delivery for you.

After PFTompkast and other iterations, are things like the bouncing cadence, un-questions, and other delivery tics just kind of dialed in, or are you often thinking about those different processes while improv'ing the monologue?

Hi Paul,

As I've listened to Spontaneanation from the beginning to now I've noticed a subtle but still distinct "evolution" of the show's execution. By this I mean recent episodes are of very high quality and seem very cleanly executed. That's not to say early episodes were in any way bad, but more that you, a number of the regular improvisers, and the show itself seem to have gotten more comfortable in it's own skin. Have you noticed this as well and what other "evolutions", big and small, have you noticed since the show's inception?

Now I need to be really selfish for a minute. I tried PM'ing all this to you but Earwolf wouldn't let me. My fiancee and I are getting married next July (Fri the 8th) and would love it if you officiated. We contacted a handful of people at United, that are on your team, and after a number of calls and emails got non responses.

We'd pay you, get you a nice hotel, transportation, whatever. Your wife is obviously welcome as well. The process to become ordained online is about 15-min and we've found a non-denominational and accepting of all lifestyles ministry (it's a non-religious ceremony). Full disclosure the wedding is in north county San Diego, specifically Encinitas...so if location and/or date is a dealbreaker I understand.

Thank you, from us both.

Nick and Wynona

As I've listened to Spontaneanation from the beginning to now I've noticed a subtle but still distinct "evolution" of the show's execution. By this I mean recent episodes are of very high quality and seem very cleanly executed. That's not to say early episodes were in any way bad, but more that you, a number of the regular improvisers, and the show itself seem to have gotten more comfortable in it's own skin. Have you noticed this as well and what other "evolutions", big and small, have you noticed since the show's inception?

I think it's just the natural evolution of the show. Or any show, really. It's helped to do the show so often and to record with many of the same people repeatedly, so that we all get comfortable with the format and each other, and even the studio and recording conditions.

Now I need to be really selfish for a minute. My fiancee and I are getting married next July (Fri the 8th) and would love it if you officiated.

I'm flattered that you would ask, but this is not the sort of thing that I do for strangers. I wish you and your bride-to-be all the best!

• Like 1

Paul, one of the things about the Pre-Ramble that always stands out for me is the varying cadence. It really makes me curious about the process of the delivery for you.

After PFTompkast and other iterations, are things like the bouncing cadence, un-questions, and other delivery tics just kind of dialed in, or are you often thinking about those different processes while improv'ing the monologue?

Whatever happens, happens. I just start talking and hope I go someplace funny.

• Like 1

how do you get guests that no one else on earwolf can seemingly get? what's your trick?

I think there's SOME overlap, but I definitely wanted to start off booking interview guests & improvisers from outside the usual podcast suspects. It's really all down to personal relationships, close and extended. Lots of people on my list I haven't been able to get yet, as well as some Earwolf favorites coming up.

• Like 1

I think he touches on this earlier in the thread.

Danggit, I thought I had read every page and I don't remember that question coming up. It's something I'm really interested in because Paul and some of the guests seem like they'd be really great at it. Gourley never misses a chance to sing! I'll go back and scan through and see if I can find the question/answer.

Danggit, I thought I had read every page and I don't remember that question coming up. It's something I'm really interested in because Paul and some of the guests seem like they'd be really great at it. Gourley never misses a chance to sing! I'll go back and scan through and see if I can find the question/answer.

I believe he said he was very interested in doing a musical ep and probably would if he could figure out the right way to do it.

Hey Paul,

Crazy question, I know, but I'm getting divorced and I need to crash at your place for a bit; seriously, like six days max. You won't even know I was there. I'll hang up my towel and put my dishes in the sink. Plus, I'll be gone all day looking for a new place. Also, man, I might need to talk about it a bit but I promise won't bring you down or anything, I just need to get a few things off of my chest. We'll order in Thai food or something. Have you ever played 1v1 charades??

Whaddaya think?

Benicio Del Bore-O

P.S.: I think I can win her back

• Like 3

Mr. Tompkins, what a pleasure it is to be able to write to you with the knowledge that you might actually read this! I'll save the gushing for the end after the questions, so you don't get bogged down by my worship of your genius comedic mind.

Question: In one of the CBB's this year, I think Scott mentioned the words "Dark Matter" to which you made an Andrew Bird reference! That's not a question! But what IS a question is this: How much are you invested in the music of Bird? I've loved Bird for years, but he has always seemed like a niche interest, one that most would not be aware of. It was such a cool moment, and no one seemed to acknowledge it on the show. Do you have a favorite album? Have you ever seen him live? What about his music do you like? I'm pretty much a huge Bird nerd, and a comedy nerd, so it would be cool to hear what one of my comedy idols thinks about one of my music idols.

TANGENTIAL QUESTION: Andrew Bird was a guest on the Jeff Garlin earwolf program. That interview was a little unfortunate simply because Jeff has a LOT of energy, and Bird is as placid as a windless lake nestled in a peaceful valley. Since a precedent has been set for having Bird as an earwolf guest, would you ever dream of having him as an interview guest for Spontaneanation? Not only are you hilarious, but you come across as extremely thoughtful, and I think you and he would vibe in a way that would be fascinating from a listener perspective.

FINAL QUESTION: Were you a "class clown" in school, or did you come into your own in comedy later in life? I was always getting in trouble in school for having an impulsive need to make people laugh. I'm considering taking improv classes this Winter, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea or a waste of time, and I was hoping a master improviser such as yourself could give me a push either towards it or away from it.

IN SUMMATION:

Here's my 3 questions boiled down to easy-to-reply-to chunks.

1) You mentioned Andrew Bird once, do you like him & how much?

2) Have you ever considered bringing Bird on a guest onto Spont?

3) Are improv classes a good idea for someone who wants to do improv comedy, or should they attempt to do standup/writing/just go for it in improv instead?

Gushing: You are a genius. You are so sharp, so quick, and so full of life. Every time you've made an appearance on a podcast or a television show, you've brought so much joy to your part. You are one of the greats, and I really hope that you care about the opinion of some nobody bupkiss like me, because I want you to even feel a fraction of the happiness you bring to me and many others on a constant basis.

Cheers,

-A Human Being