🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GiveMeYourBaby

Eyes Wide Shut

This movie is straight bananas. Kubrick was a great director sometimes, this is not one of them.

Craziness

1. Nicole Kidman acting drunk and/crazy in every scene where she is not taking care of her daughter.
  2. Subplots that appear and disappear for no reason.
  3. The number of times Cruise tells people that he is a doctor as though that gives him special powers.
  4. Lolita threesome with weird Asian men.
  5. Cruise becoming prostitute loving deviant because his wife one time thought about having an affair.
  6. The fucking non-ending
  7. The dialogue.
  8. The time frame.
  9. The studio editing out the salaciousness which was the point of the film.

• Like 3

The number of times Cruise tells people that he is a doctor as though that gives him special powers.

This was the single most frustrating part of the movie.

Lolita threesome with weird Asian men.

Lolita played by Leeloo Solbioski (aka Bobo Helen Hunt)

I don't see this one happening for a lot of reasons, but I think two major factors against it are the length and the pacing. It's a looooong movie that moves very, very slowly.

The fucking non-ending

I actually like that it ends ambiguously, open for you to decide whether it was a murder or was for show. I also enjoy this movie, it may not make sense, but it is beautifully shot and Kidman looks amazing. I also probably am not objective because I am a Kubrick fanboy...

• Like 1

One thing that drove me nuts was how Dr. Bill's house was decorated. Who has a 4'x6' portrait of a cat in their house? This movie was constantly reminding me that the 80's were the tackiest decade of this generation.

One thing that drove me nuts was how Dr. Bill's house was decorated. Who has a 4'x6' portrait of a cat in their house? This movie was constantly reminding me that the 80's were the tackiest decade of this generation.

You mean the 90s?

It's a great movie and there aren't really any holes in the logic of it, it's just kind of weird. I would love to hear Jason talk about how much he'd love to be in a society like that, but otherwise there isn't much for them to really riff on

It's a great movie and there aren't really any holes in the logic of it, it's just kind of weird.

Agreed. It's my favorite Kubrick movie.

Why is my beautiful Hotch (Thomas Gibson) in this terrible movie?!

I watched this stupid thing last month on cable waiting for it to finally start. WTFH?! Nothing besides sex happens....ever!

The number of times Cruise tells people that he is a doctor as though that gives him special powers.

Yes! Since when do doctors have badges that they can flash like they're FBI agents?

Kidman looks preposterously beautiful when she's slow-dancing with the silver fox guy at the ball? Truly fantastic lighting in that scene.

Yes! Since when do doctors have badges that they can flash like they're FBI agents?

Kidman looks preposterously beautiful when she's slow-dancing with the silver fox guy at the ball? Truly fantastic lighting in that scene.

I love that guy's voice, too. "Let me show you my collection of....renaissance bronze"

It's a great movie and there aren't really any holes in the logic of it, it's just kind of weird. I would love to hear Jason talk about how much he'd love to be in a society like that, but otherwise there isn't much for them to really riff on

Face/off makes sense according to its own weird internal logic too but there was still plenty to discuss.

I don't know how that question mark got in there. Kidman looks preposterously beautiful when she's slow-dancing with the silver fox guy at the ball, statement, period.

I don't think we'll ever see another massive project kept as tightly guarded as Eyes Wide Shut was. For the longest time, the speculation was that Cruise and Kidman played married psychiatrists who were sleeping with each other's patients. Other than Cruise's character having an M.D., that was totally off base. Neither does it seem possible these days that a director could basically hold two of the world's biggest stars hostage.

• Like 2

I don't think we'll ever see another massive project kept as tightly guarded as Eyes Wide Shut was. For the longest time, the speculation was that Cruise and Kidman played married psychiatrists who were sleeping with each other's patients. Other than Cruise's character having an M.D., that was totally off base.

I recall reading somebody's theory that part of the reason people didn't like the movie was because, in lieu of information on what the movie actually was, they started assuming that it was going to be something like the Sexiest Movie Ever Made. So when people saw the movie and it's a Kubrick film, they were angry that they didn't get what they thought they were getting.

Also, supposedly Kubrick was thinking of making the film a dark comedy early on*, and even thought of casting Steve Martin in the lead. That might have been something that HDTGM would cover.

* Although, in a way, it is kind of funny that the whole movie is essentially about Tom Cruise continually failing to get laid.

WAT?? There are GIANT logic holes here. Terrible pacing. Horrible dialog. Questionable thematic choices. With the exception of the cinematography, the whole thing felt like a bad SNL sketch that went off the rails. Cruise sleepwalks through this thing like he's on downers and Kidman is just unwatchable. You know a film is bad when the kids who sneak in to get a look at some naked boobs sneak back out again 20 minutes later because they're bored.

And that piano - Tune that stupid thing! AGH! My ears have never recovered! This is legitimately the only film I've ever been angry that it exists. And I LOVE Kubrick films!

In my opinion, it never came together into a coherent story. Sometimes movies just don't make the transition from a bunch of things that happened to a proper storyline, and it's not always obvious why. It just lacked the "Oh, so that's why you're telling me this" moment.

This was in essence a standard Kubrick film. It had his usual pacing, odd moments, ambiguity. etc. This wasn't my favorite film of his (The Shining takes that spot) but I don't think it would do well for the show as the weird stuff could be explained as being standard Kubrickisms.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this