🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Lando

Entourage The Movie

So I have never been a fan of this show. I watched the first season and just wasn't into it, it had the worst plot resolution that I had ever seen and I felt like the characters were not the type of people that I would enjoy being around. It was like no matter what the problem they were up against it usually either resolved by having it been revealed that it actually wasn't a problem or that they were just so awesome that whoever they were in conflict with would just fold after a zinger and hi five between the bros. Honestly if I found out that there was an episode where the conflict was that one of the main characters (but not Drama) was too good at sex I would not be surprised at all.

I had planned on letting this movie just slide through the theaters and pay it as little attention as possible, but I will admit seeing that it got a low score on Rotten Tomatoes and bombing at the box office made me feel somewhat vindicated, and I had planned on just letting it go but then I came across this pretty entertaining article on AV Club that convinced me that maybe it is HDTGM bad:

http://www.avclub.com/article/jon-daly-and-wendy-molyneux-drake-why-entourage-mo-220640

I think the great part about this movie flatlining at the box office is that it makes the bit on "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" where Titus is happy that "There is no 'Entourage 2!'" so much more real.

You've got to wonder why, exactly, they thought this warranted a theatrical film. I know "Sex and the City" managed to get two movies, but I think it helped that "Sex and the City" was kind of a phenomenon for a while. Was "Entourage" really all that popular outside its target audience of frat brothers?

Also, let's not forget: The main character directs a movie about a superhero DJ version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. If it were possible to have HDTGM episodes for movies-in-movies, that would be the prime candidate.

• Like 3

I think the great part about this movie flatlining at the box office is that it makes the bit on "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt" where Titus is happy that "There is no 'Entourage 2!'" so much more real.

I loved Kimmy Schmidt, but I don't remember that line off the top of my head. I do hope though that they explore the dangers of Hulkamania further in season two.

• Like 1

I loved Kimmy Schmidt, but I don't remember that line off the top of my head. I do hope though that they explore the dangers of Hulkamania further in season two.

The final test of whether Titus could pass for straight was for him to audition for "Entourage 2."

• Like 1

The final test of whether Titus could pass for straight was for him to audition for "Entourage 2."

Okay, I DO remember now!

While I'd love to here this movie get taken down by HDTGM, that would require actually watching this douche bag shit brick to do so. I like Paul, June and Jason, and I wouldn't wish this movie on my worst enemy.

I always thought that Entourage was fairly well regarded, but I have only really started to hear negative takes on it recently. Maybe it's a thing that had its time, but does not hold up well like Ed Hardy t-shirts. I would be curious to hear from marginal Entourage fans (meaning people who liked it but are not fanboys) to hear if they think it's good or not. Still, that AV Club article is pretty funny.

I wish I had something to tell a room full of people that could make them as happy as they were in this scene.

• Like 1

Check out Kermode's review of Entourage, it's fair to say, he's not a fan...:

"Hate filled consumerist propaganda".... :lol:

The big question remains unanswered, is it better or worse then Veronica Mars the movie. I haven't seen ether one but i did enjoy the television show Entourage. Veronica mars was a terrible show, that just doesn't hold up to time. I tried watching it back to back and got as far as the second season and wanted to hold Logan underwater and gave up. I was really hoping for the worlds worst biker gang to taken Logan down but that never happen or did it? I don't know, guess I'll never find out. I watched Entourage all the way thru, so I didn't mind it as much. but tv shows made into movies never works. twin peaks fire walk with rings a bell in my head. I love twin peaks don't get me wrong and I do sort of enjoy fire walk with me but after listening to the projection booth podcast on the movie I sort of agree that it's bat shit crazy of a movie. lot of pointless bull crap that never needed explaining was in that movie. like garmonbozia! btw that's the planet that bob and the one armed man are from..

god I hope they never make a "lost" movie.

I feel safe in saying this movie is much, much worse than Veronica Mars. In every way possible.

• Like 2

Were you going to defend it? Honestly I'm surprised that there is as much Entourage dislike being expressed here. I thought I'd be in the minority.

I am going to take the pepsi challange on that one. Entourage vs Veronica Mars movie. I would of banked my money on Entourage just based on the tv series alone but Entourage isn't on itunes yet so I'll have to wait and get back to you all on that one. I enjoyed it better. Maybe I'll break and watch 22 gripping episodes of Veronica Mars so I am ready for my show case show down.

BTW any of you remember taking the pepsi challange as a kid? I could spot coke a mile away and it didn't matter how hard they tried to win me.

BTW any of you remember taking the pepsi challange as a kid? I could spot coke a mile away and it didn't matter how hard they tried to win me.

There's a noticeable difference, and while I like both, I'll pick Pepsi every time. This reminds me of the SNL skit with Chris Farley where they spoof the "we switched their regular coffee with..." commercials, ending with him absolutely losing his shit and destroying the place when they tell him.

I am going to take the pepsi challange on that one. Entourage vs Veronica Mars movie. I would of banked my money on Entourage just based on the tv series alone but Entourage isn't on itunes yet so I'll have to wait and get back to you all on that one. I enjoyed it better. Maybe I'll break and watch 22 gripping episodes of Veronica Mars so I am ready for my show case show down.

Entourage over Veronica Mars, aye? I think Veronica Mars is a smartly written and engaging show. Mars herself is like Batman to Buffy: the Vampire Salyer's Superman. I'll admit that the VM movie was okay, but the budget limitations were evident on screen. Also, the dues ex machina villan reveal was a bit sloppy.

There's a noticeable difference, and while I like both, I'll pick Pepsi every time. This reminds me of the SNL skit with Chris Farley where they spoof the "we switched their regular coffee with..." commercials, ending with him absolutely losing his shit and destroying the place when they tell him.

They shouldn't have lied to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5aVzSDme4

I always thought that Entourage was fairly well regarded, but I have only really started to hear negative takes on it recently. Maybe it's a thing that had its time, but does not hold up well like Ed Hardy t-shirts. I would be curious to hear from marginal Entourage fans (meaning people who liked it but are not fanboys) to hear if they think it's good or not. Still, that AV Club article is pretty funny.

I think with Entourage's reception over the years it is a lot different now then when it premiered years back. While it did have a negative stigma for being a show for frat boy douches from some, it was mostly liked especially for the performances from some of the actors, though it tended to get less favorable reviews as it dragged on into seasons 6-8. Now though with their being this push for stronger female characters the show is put in a more negative light since it kept with the show's guy oriented premise.

Chris Hardwick completely ripped the show and its fans on @ Midnight after its opening week saying that he was glad it failed because it didn't have strong female characters and that only sexist douchebags watched the show while at the same time praising Spy for coming in number 1, which doesn't wash because those movies are for two completely different crowds with very different tastes, and to be fair it looks like even Spy is barely going to break even at the box office. It was a complete halt of the show that he went on this mini rant about the movie not having any real substantial female characters, but really people don't expect that from the movie if they watched the show. And let's be honest, no one was expecting Entourage to be a blockbuster, it was going to make the crowd that watched the show happy, which it apparently did for my friends who watched both, and that was it.

As far as TV show movie adaptations I can say the only one that comes to mind as actually being good and successful were:

the Mission Impossible movies

Maverick

the Fugitive

the Equalizer

the Addams Family movies

the 21 Jump Street movies

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

while The A-Team and Beavis and Butt-Head Do America are guilty pleasures for me.

• Like 3

They shouldn't have lied to him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg5aVzSDme4

I think with Entourage's reception over the years it is a lot different now then when it premiered years back. While it did have a negative stigma for being a show for frat boy douches from some, it was mostly liked especially for the performances from some of the actors, though it tended to get less favorable reviews as it dragged on into seasons 6-8. Now though with their being this push for stronger female characters the show is put in a more negative light since it kept with the show's guy oriented premise.

Chris Hardwick completely ripped the show and its fans on @ Midnight after its opening week saying that he was glad it failed because it didn't have strong female characters and that only sexist douchebags watched the show while at the same time praising Spy for coming in number 1, which doesn't wash because those movies are for two completely different crowds with very different tastes, and to be fair it looks like even Spy is barely going to break even at the box office. It was a complete halt of the show that he went on this mini rant about the movie not having any real substantial female characters, but really people don't expect that from the movie if they watched the show. And let's be honest, no one was expecting Entourage to be a blockbuster, it was going to make the crowd that watched the show happy, which it apparently did for my friends who watched both, and that was it.

As far as TV show movie adaptations I can say the only one that comes to mind as actually being good and successful were:

the Mission Impossible movies

Maverick

the Fugitive

the Equalizer

the Addams Family movies

the 21 Jump Street movies

South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut

while The A-Team and Beavis and Butt-Head Do America are guilty pleasures for me.

Don't forget The Naked Gun trilogy, which were based on the short-lived, yet hilarious TV show Police Squad.

I can't believe i'm going to defend Entourage on this, but complaining about lack of strong female leads seems to miss the point of Entourage. It's like complaining that there is not enough smooth jazz hooks in your brutal death metal (And I like some death metal). I don't know why people can't just let things be what they are for different subcultures, especially when there is the counterpart of Sex And The City that is nothing but strong female leads. Let the Entourage fans have their Entourage, Hardwick is not going to like it even if there are strong female leads.

Edit: I want to add that I think that it's one thing to say "this is what it is, let's laugh at it" and it's another to say "this should be something that it's not" and get mad about it. I am all in favor of the former, and am burnt out on the latter.

I can't believe i'm going to defend Entourage on this, but complaining about lack of strong female leads seems to miss the point of Entourage. It's like complaining that there is not enough smooth jazz hooks in your brutal death metal (And I like some death metal). I don't know why people can't just let things be what they are for different subcultures, especially when there is the counterpart of Sex And The City that is nothing but strong female leads. Let the Entourage fans have their Entourage, Hardwick is not going to like it even if there are strong female leads.

I can't speak for Chris Hardwick, but I think what he may have been getting at is that Entourage not having a strong female presence is a tired and stale paradigm that needs to be retired instead of perpetuated (especially in this day and age). On this show, women are seen as either sex objects or harpies, and really nothing more.

Contrast this with the women of Sex and the City, where each female lead has depth and character, and we, the audience, get to see how each of these women think, react and navigate through the hustle and bustle of their lives. These woman are human beings with a lot of the same hopes and fears as their male counterparts.

I don't think of Entourage as belonging to a subculture, per se, unless, of course, bro-hams now count as a subculture all their own. But these douche-nozzles are everywhere, so I doubt it.

• Like 1

I can't speak for Chris Hardwick, but I think what he may have been getting at is that Entourage not having a strong female presence is a tired and stale paradigm that needs to be retired instead of perpetuated (especially in this day and age). On this show, women are seen as either sex objects or harpies, and really nothing more.

Contrast this with the women of Sex and the City, where each female lead has depth and character, and we, the audience, get to see how each of these women think, react and navigate through the hustle and bustle of their lives. These woman are human beings with a lot of the same hopes and fears as their male counterparts.

I don't think of Entourage as belonging to a subculture, per se, unless, of course, bro-hams now count as a subculture all their own. But these douche-nozzles are everywhere, so I doubt it.

From watching his semi-rant, Hardwick was referring to a video some comedian did where he binge watched the entire series to see how many instances there were where there were two female characters sharing a scene together talking without one of the guys around and it came out to like 8 scenes over the course of the series. He then made a quick game of having contestants figure out what roles various extras were playing in the movie which included Bob Saget's date and a Sushi girl, but that's what Entourage is about: douchey guys from Queens living out an equally douchey life in Hollywood. Unfortunately, and I say this as a fan of Hardwick and Nerdist, he has started to turn his show into a bit of a soapbox, at times going on for 4-5 minutes which is a lot for a 20 minute show, to air his grievances and call out those who are a part of that issue. It really kills the flow of the show and then they have to cut out a bunch of stuff from the game in order to fit the speech in.

Also, would it not be metal to have more Jazz hooks?

From watching his semi-rant, Hardwick was referring to a video some comedian did where he binge watched the entire series to see how many instances there were where there were two female characters sharing a scene together talking without one of the guys around and it came out to like 8 scenes over the course of the series. He then made a quick game of having contestants figure out what roles various extras were playing in the movie which included Bob Saget's date and a Sushi girl, but that's what Entourage is about: douchey guys from Queens living out an equally douchey life in Hollywood. Unfortunately, and I say this as a fan of Hardwick and Nerdist, he has started to turn his show into a bit of a soapbox, at times going on for 4-5 minutes which is a lot for a 20 minute show, to air his grievances and call out those who are a part of that issue. It really kills the flow of the show and then they have to cut out a bunch of stuff from the game in order to fit the speech in.

It also runs the risk of cutting off the first few minutes of "Tomcats" or "Van Wilder 2", or whatever other female-empowering movie that Comedy Central has running after Chris "Singled Out" Hardwick's show.

• Like 1

I definitely agree. I feel so inundated with people opining on social media (and expecting it to be a one-way street) that I definitely want escape it in my entertainment. When it pops its head up in the Nerdist I definitely let out a deep sigh and hope that they get back to the light stuff ASAP.

There are a healthy number of metal bands that integrate jazz elements to them from Cynic to the Norwegian Shining (not the Swedish Shining), but that stuff is also not for everyone. Some people just want to listen to something aggressive and mosh and not have to think about their music and that is their business.

I think that the AV Club article did a great job of making fun of Entourage for its sexism, while still being funny, but it tackled so much more than just the female caracitures. I would much rather have people champion things like Orange is the New Black that is really well written and just happens to have an almost entirely female and ethnically diverse cast than criticize something like Entourage for not being something that it's not exactly trying to by non-fans.

Side note, while I never liked Entourage, my wife did and if I go to the facebook page half of my friends that are fans are female and run the gamut of the political spectrum so I think the appeal is something broader than just sexist broes broing out.

I definitely agree. I feel so inundated with people opining on social media (and expecting it to be a one-way street) that I definitely want escape it in my entertainment. When it pops its head up in the Nerdist I definitely let out a deep sigh and hope that they get back to the light stuff ASAP.

I'm the same way, thankfully the Nerdist podcast has been free for the most part of this kind of soapboxing has been nil to none, at least with the episodes that I have listened to. I did have to stop listening to The Indoor Kids for a while during the Gamergate controversy or anything about women in gaming as that show just became awful to listen to and became what I hated about that whole issue: online trolls vs. asshole industry workers. That show still has some of that eek into an episode from time to time but that's only when it involves someone who was a part of that shitstorm.

Side note, while I never liked Entourage, my wife did and if I go to the facebook page half of my friends that are fans are female and run the gamut of the political spectrum so I think the appeal is something broader than just sexist broes broing out.

Same here, I never liked the show, but understood what it was going for but my friends who liked it ran the gamut of backgrounds. This whole issue is sort of like the female Expendables that they have been trying to put together for years now, but the problem there is that there isn't a huge roster of established female action stars in the same way there are for men, hence them trying to sign Meryl Streep. Then people were mad at the movie because it wouldn't be like the male Expendables in that the women would be using their sex appeal and undercover abilities to complete their mission rather than drop kicking a hole through a guy like would possibly be seen in the other series or that the director had really only done chick flicks prior to this movie, which is happening a lot now with blockbuster movies. Speaking of the Sex and the City movies in regards to this topic, it reminds me of the Sex in the City 3 parody that Robot Chicken did where the studio tried to make the movie guy friendly in an attempt to get a bigger gross after the second film didn't do so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4ZRpUithco

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this