🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Just read the Tribeca Film Festival article (https://tribecafilm.com/stories/brendan-fraser-movie-star-encino-man-school-ties-the-mummy-scrubs) about Brendan Fraser and I immediately thought of this movie. I feel like this movie is basically Jurassic Park: The Lost World. Also, how about some awful CGI? I think June would give this movie a pass because Fraser is just so enjoyable. What do you think?

post-104976-0-80101000-1434092303_thumb.png

Skip this one do the third one. Or any of the Scorpion King movies.

This one is fun, and I even remember feeling bad for Imhotep when he gets betrayed by his lady at the end.

• Like 1

Never mind, I just rewatched this on Netflix. Holy shit this one is bad. Theres so much shit going on, somehow Rachel Weisz is egyptian in this one, and apparently so is Brendan Fraser. Theres also like five active curses throughout the course of the movie too.

Ill testify on a stack of Zouks that this is an entertaining ride.

There IS so much shit going on. You and the characters almost get no chance to breathe.

Rachel Weisz isnt so much Egyptian but is the reincarnation of an Egyptian.

The CGI of The Rock as the Scorpion King is atrocious.

• Like 1

Its definitely entertaining. And I did really like that instead of having Rachel Weisz be the damsel in distress again they gave her a bunch of action scenes.

But when I was watching it again, there was just so much crazy shit happening. Theres just so much curses between the scorpion king, and then Imhotep having to do the same curse he did in the first movie only he does it in one scene on the train. Somehow Brendan Fraser is in the same order as Oded Fehr, because he was tattooed as a child (apparently solarbabies had it right). Rachel Weisz may be the reincarnation of an egyptian but she looks identical to her ancestor. And I really dont think that ancient egyptians looked much like Rachel Weisz.

Oh yea and John Hannah's character randomly having the magical spear they needed to kill the Scorpion King was also glorious in its not giving a fuck about making any sense.

While watching Van Helsing for the upcoming episode, its hard not to wonder what went wrong with both it and this sequel to The Mummy. And I think it has to do with the fact that the first Mummy movie made an obscene amount of money for its time. 

I'm sure in the first Mummy movie had significant studio presence over his shoulder while directing one of Universal's classic movie monsters. But after the insane amount of money that they made i'm sure he was given significantly more leeway in both this and Van Helsing. 

And I know that it sounds odd to say that a lack of studio notes or intervention led to a worse movie because its typically portrayed as the other way around. But after watching him in interviews and listening to the commentaries for the Mummy movies and Van Helsing it's pretty easy to see that Sommers is basically a ten year old in an adults body. 

He was basically given free rein to go forward with every batshit crazy idea he could come up with. 

Sign in to follow this