🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 12 - The Waiting Room at An Oil Change Place

Paul F. Tompkins welcomes all his brothers he hasn’t met yet, including women, back to Spontaneanation! This week Paul’s special guest is hip-hop artist Open Mike Eagle! They chat about social anxiety, merch booths guidelines, and pizza day in high school. Paul is then joined by Janet Varney, Jean Villepique and Hal Lublin to improvise a story set in the Waiting Room at An Oil Change Place. As always, the sensational Eban Schletter scores it all on piano!

Oh! I'm a moron. I didn't know everyone could control the sounds. I always assumed either PFT was controlling them all or, for some stupid me reason, Eban. Why am I so dumb?

• Like 2

Hang on has the Thrilling Adventure Hour really ended?

JV breaking when she realized what Paul meant about the heart being on his outfit, killed me.

• Like 1

Hang on has the Thrilling Adventure Hour really ended?

Yeah, their last show was in April. All the eps haven't been released yet to the internet, but there's only a few left. Very sad.

• Like 1

Janet Varney's laugh is amazing. For me it's up there with PFT's off-mic laughter and Matt Gourley's snorts.

• Like 7

Janet Varney's laugh is amazing. For me it's up there with PFT's off-mic laughter and Matt Gourley's snorts.

totes ga ga over her. did you catch her as shrink on maron?

• Like 2

it's great to hear Mike on another Earwolf podcast... I saw him back in 2012 with Busdriver and, having no prior knowledge of his work, was pleasantly surprised at how talented of an emcee he is. I don't go to hip hop shows very often, but that one was the best and most intimate I've seen in recent memory.

on another note, was Paul under the weather while recording this ep? his voice sounded noticeably deeper to me... and seeing his bow tie undone in the pictures was very disconcerting.

IMG_1238.jpg

edit: upon further inspection, it appears that this is a regular occurrence. I don't blame him at all... truly great improv does require full range of motion neck-wise.

My podcast app shortened the episode name/description, so i didn't even know JV was in it until I heard her laugh about a minute in. It totally made my morning.

Opening monologue on point as usual.

Someone suggested a few weeks ago that we call this the "pre-ramble," and I'm championing that name.

And Eben Schletter's stinger on Paul's "If you know anything about me, I respect vegetables!" was one of the best things ever.

• Like 3

Was it about 'elbow deep'?

Oh! I'm a moron. I didn't know everyone could control the sounds. I always assumed either PFT was controlling them all or, for some stupid me reason, Eban. Why am I so dumb?

Luke it's Tuesday today. Just fyi.

Despite Mr. Tompkins impassioned monologue regarding his love for the Brussels sprout, I still can't get behind any food that does not follow the proper rules of grammar. Shouldn't it be Brussels' sprout, or if someone wants to be a complete dumb-dumb, Brussels's sprout?

It's a sprout from Brussels, right? Therefore, Brussels has ownership of the sprout so the word should connote possession. You wouldn't say, "America flowers," you would say, "America's flowers."

Of course this is all my roundabout way of saying, it's all bullshit and I ain't putting one in my mouth!

brussel_sprouts-chou_de_bruxelles.jpg

Ugh...gross! Get it together, Brussels!

• Like 1

Did they up the volume on the other participants' laughter during the pre-ramble, or was it just an especially giddy group? I liked it.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ everyone, the day this episode was released, there were also brand new episodes of Comedy Bang Bang and the Thrilling Adventure Hour, all starring Paul F. Tompkins. I know the dates of the actual recording of these various comedy happenings are spread out, but still. Now today, I find this video, which is worth mentioning for just how well Mr. Tompkins pulls off a fucking cravat:

http://www.ifc.com/fix/2015/06/learn-the-history-of-collegehumors-comedy-music-hall-of-fame

PFT: As prolific as Phish live albums, but a lot funnier!

• Like 2

Jesus Christ everyone, the day this episode was released, there were also brand new episodes of Comedy Bang Bang and the Thrilling Adventure Hour, all starring Paul F. Tompkins. I know the dates of the actual recording of these various comedy happenings are spread out, but still. Now today, I find this video, which is worth mentioning for just how well Mr. Tompkins pulls off a fucking cravat:

http://www.ifc.com/f...ic-hall-of-fame

He also provided off-mic laughter on the new "Womp It Up."

• Like 2

http://www.ifc.com/f...ic-hall-of-fame

He also provided off-mic laughter on the new "Womp It Up."

you guys are freaking me out

• Like 1

Oh yeah, AND he was on At Midnight last night. PFT is a bottomless font of creative energy that fills me with.... joy and whimsy (SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!?!?!) at every appearance.

• Like 2

Oh yeah, AND he was on At Midnight last night. PFT is a bottomless font of creative energy that fills me with.... joy and whimsy (SEE WHAT I DID THERE?!?!?!) at every appearance.

Oh yeah, AND he was on a live episode of International Waters this week, in a rare co-appearance with his delightful wife Janie.

please stop!

• Like 1