🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
faye-raye

Am I really dumb (no U.S listerners)

..and that is a problem because why????

:P

Oh, not a problem at all. 1973 was clearly when Chinese food was at its sexiest!

• Like 1

Won't deny I've wondered what kind of perception people outside of the US or who never visited the has thanks to what's portrayed in movies.

So you're not dumb, your perception is simply based on what you've experienced which gets even scarier when I think about shows like The Kardashians being shown in the Philippines.

Here is another classic American movie trick, is it real or what. a beer in a brown paper bag. Most of my life growing up i had never seen beer cans in brown paper bags, like in movies like repoman. but I had always thought this was done so they didn't have to pay a beverage company any money for product placement and most likely it's done for just that. also to get the films movie rating down, so it's not so clear they are drinking beer.

10699130.jpg

I didn't think this was real until I had gone to New Orleans for the first time. it's better explained on the tv show

".why this is done. but it's funny because everyone who's a tourist walks around with a open beer or delicious daiquiri or as I call them a slurpee cup full of booze, that's really what they are. everyone walks around not knowing that this is illegal. yet the police don't do anything about it unless your really getting out of hand. Yet the locals who are often trade workers from the hotels at night goto the local corner store and drink 99c millers from you guest it brown paper bag.

it's a real thing but not every state allows it. it's one of those weird laws about not openly drinking alcohol in public. if it's not visible then it's not drinking openly... right?

Fun fact: those Chinese take-out boxes can be unfolded to make a little "plate" if you don't feel like doing dishes. You can do it with the food still inside it, even.

Brown bagging beer is also very common. Most states in the US have "open container" laws which make it illegal to carry an open alcoholic beverage in public. Brown bagging doesn't exactly absolve you of the crime, but is done more out of respect to police officers. Most people think open-container laws are dumb, including a lot of police, so by putting it in a bag they can plausibly "not see it" and look the other way. They don't always do that, though. Believe me.

New Orleans is one of the few places where a person can carry an open beer/drink and consume it in public, so you're less likely to see brown bagging there. Oddly, I was just talking with a friend today about an infamous "Drive Thru Daiquiri Barn" on the outskirts of the city. While you can carry an open container on the street, you can NOT have an open container in your vehicle. Even a passenger can't have an open drink. So to get around this, the protocol is that you buy the daiquiri but you never puncture the lid of your drink with the straw. You lift the lid to take a sip and replace it. That way, your container is only "open" when the lid is lifted. Yeah, yeah; vice laws are dumb.

And to be clear: drinking and driving is even dumber.

• Like 1