🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 112.5 — Minisode 112.5

Next week we’re traveling back to a time when pizza was cool, turtles were even cooler, and Shredder was still a dick. This week Paul goes through Corrections and Omissions for Jupiter Ascending, tells everyone to join the virtual reality phenomenon during Scheer’s Picks, and answers your Qs about fridges, Donald Duck, and much more.

Los Angeles: Get your tickets now for the 10pm show of HDTGM LIVE from Largo on Saturday, August 29th! Go to www.largo-la.com for tickets!

People of the internet: Check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and ScheeRL on YouTube here:

• Like 1

i got the google cardboard but the magnet controller wont work with my HTC. tried it a few times for movies though and it works pretty good. make it feel like you are watching on a massive screen. new version will hopefully work better.

Also, about was Paul was saying about the Turtles not being able to use their weapons.... I remember this INFURIATED me as a kid. Being a fan of the cartoon, and later the comic and video games, I just remember being psyched every time Leonardo got to chop off a robot Foot's head or Raphael could stab those little chomping robots (Mousers) with his sai. I knew, even at the time, that it was easier to film with dudes in costumes rather than animatronics and they couldn't have the Turtles murder a bunch of teenagers, but still, I felt very robbed of exploding robots. At least the first movie had an actual story to make up for it. Since this movie is all dumb spectacle, the least 9-year-old-me could ask for is robo-splosions.

• Like 2

"Cameron H: Second Place...as Always"

At least he reads yours =\

I am glad he read Nonesuch's defense, though, because she did a hell of a job defending that movie against the likes of us.

I'm very excited about TMNT 2. I know it's an awful movie, but it's been a favorite since I saw it in the theater when I was 10.

And finally, did anyone else hear Paul say "Bram Stroker's Dracula" in the Audible ad? I was on my bike riding into work and almost fell off from laughing.

• Like 3

Also, about was Paul was saying about the Turtles not being able to use their weapons.... I remember this INFURIATED me as a kid. Being a fan of the cartoon, and later the comic and video games, I just remember being psyched every time Leonardo got to chop off a robot Foot's head or Raphael could stab those little chomping robots (Mousers) with his sai. I knew, even at the time, that it was easier to film with dudes in costumes rather than animatronics and they couldn't have the Turtles murder a bunch of teenagers, but still, I felt very robbed of exploding robots. At least the first movie had an actual story to make up for it. Since this movie is all dumb spectacle, the least 9-year-old-me could ask for is robo-splosions.

Yeah, as a huge Turtle fan as I kid, this pissed me off as well. I also never understood why the Foot weren't robots in the films. It wasn't until I was older, when I learned about rights and stuff, that I realized that the movie (the first one anyway) was very much in line with the original comic books and the Foot Clan weren't originally robots. It's really a damn shame they couldn't go with a robot Foot Clan though, I think the movie(s) could have been so much cooler as the Turtles could have let loose more. It reminds me of something mentioned on Rachel and Miles X-plain the X-men and how Marvel had this character with metal claws (a little known character whose name escapes me) whom Marvel wanted us to think was this badass, murderous dude, but they never could show him actually DO anything. The only time you could see him cut loose is if the X-Men were fighting the Sentinels. The X-Men cartoon used to drive me crazy for the same reason, this character (God, I wish I could remember his name) would go: "RahhrrrRRRR!" and pop his claws, but in the next scene (if they were fighting non-robots), the claws would be gone. Fuck that, man! That's your power! Gut those dudes!

Still, it could have been worse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S6mOBRi-Zk

• Like 3

Still, it could have been worse...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S6mOBRi-Zk

There's a documentary called Turtle Power that came out last year that I would highly recommend as a companion to this movie. It's a bit harder to find (unless you want to shell out $15 to own the digital version), but it's a really good look at the Turtles phenomenon. As someone who idolized the Turtles as a kid (I had the Coming Out of Their Shells album on tape, most of the video tapes from FHE, and of course, tons of action figures), I thought it was a great look at the whole TMNT thing.

• Like 1

At least he reads yours =\

Oh, I know. I was just teasing. I had a good laugh about it last night. I know he didn't mean it the way it came out. He's always been very nice. No complaints.

I am glad he read Nonesuch's defense, though, because she did a hell of a job defending that movie against the likes of us.

Agreed. I think he pulled a good quote from her and I'm glad she got her voice heard.

• Like 1

I'm convinced one of the Jeopardy writers must be a comedy nerd or and Earwolf listener. Remember like last year when Harris and Humblebrag were a clue?

• Like 2

Seeing this as a kid, I remember being disappointed by the voice actor swap outs. Of all the turtles, Raphael (who was basically the lead character in the first movie) & Donatello had the most recognizable voices, and those were the voices they decided to change. They just sounded wrong.

And having re-watched this and the first one recently, they don't even feel like movies taking place in the same universe, let alone the same characters. You go from Raphael being beaten into a coma that lasts for days in the first one, to the Turtles never even throwing a kick at Shredder (despite standing 2 feet from him on numerous occasions) in this one.

• Like 2

There's a documentary called Turtle Power that came out last year that I would highly recommend

its on netflx uk/ireland. watched it last month. its really worth a watch. its really detailed and is def a must see for anyone who grew up during that madness

• Like 2

Man, I got some serious name check in this mini. I even got credit for a correction that I don't think I made.

I wonder what movies they'll be doing for a live episode. I suspect it's either going to be Fast 7 or Dreamcatcher.

• Like 1

Man, I got some serious name check in this mini. I even got credit for a correction that I don't think I made.

I wonder what movies they'll be doing for a live episode. I suspect it's either going to be Fast 7 or Dreamcatcher.

My guess is probably Fast 7. I had a feeling that since they didn't do it while it was still in theaters that they would probably wait until it came out digitally. The DVD is supposed to come out September 7th, which would mean the digital release would come out a couple weeks earlier, and that would line up almost perfectly. Honestly, that would make me happy since I wasn't able to see it in the theaters. :D

As for the other movie, I hope it is Dreamcatcher. I remember seeing that in the theater and thinking, "Well, I'm sure the book is good." I then read it it and was like, "Wow, it's all right up there on the screen. Amazing."

My guess is probably Fast 7. I had a feeling that since they didn't do it while it was still in theaters that they would probably wait until it came out digitally. The DVD is supposed to come out September 7th, which would mean the digital release would come out a couple weeks earlier, and that would line up almost perfectly. Honestly, that would make me happy since I wasn't able to see it in the theaters. :D

As for the other movie, I hope it is Dreamcatcher. I remember seeing that in the theater and thinking, "Well, I'm sure the book is good." I then read it it and was like, "Wow, it's all right up there on the screen. Amazing."

I was really hoping for Furious 7 (note: not Fast 7, because this time, it's not just about being fast....) when he said it was one that everyone had been asking for. But I really hope they hold off until the digital release/Blu-Ray comes out. I saw it twice in the theater, but now it's almost impossible to find. And I definitely need to see it again before the episode.

And I remember seeing Dreamcatcher on DVD right after Deadwood started and Timothy Olyphant was blowing up. I only saw it because he was in it and Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote. And just....wow. I guess it's hard to blame Kasdan if it's straight from King's novel, but maybe Kasdan needs to stick to just fixing Lucas' craziness.

• Like 1

And I remember seeing Dreamcatcher on DVD right after Deadwood started and Timothy Olyphant was blowing up. I only saw it because he was in it and Lawrence Kasdan co-wrote. And just....wow. I guess it's hard to blame Kasdan if it's straight from King's novel, but maybe Kasdan needs to stick to just fixing Lucas' craziness.

I believe King famously disowned Dreamcatcher and claimed it was the result of too much oxy.

• Like 3

I believe King famously disowned Dreamcatcher and claimed it was the result of too much oxy.

That makes so much sense, and I'm going to keep that in mind if that turns out to be one of the live show movies.

• Like 3

Fast & Furious 8 will focus on being more ecofriendly than the previous ones. It will star Vin Biodiesel.

QLmce.jpg

• Like 5

This movie has Kevin Clash and Kevin Nash?

I wonder how Jim Henson would have felt about the this movie paying him tribute.

Possibly the best line to target demographic in the movie by Keno "The foot are looking for anyone with martial arts training......Especiallly teenagers".