🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 112.5 — Minisode 112.5

I agree, I don't want a rat serving me pizza. I think showbiz was a bear or something? Their characters were cuter.

Tmnt, I definitely watched the cartoon and maybe the first movie but I think I was too old to see this one. So I'll have to watch...

Just FYI, the island of dr Moreau documentary is supposedly showing up on netflix next month.

I think Showbiz was more of an ensemble, while Chuck E. Cheese was more of a starring vehicle for Chuck himself, even though he had a strong supporting cast that had their moments. It's like comparing the TV and movie versions of "Mission Impossible".

• Like 2

I think Showbiz was more of an ensemble, while Chuck E. Cheese was more of a starring vehicle for Chuck himself, even though he had a strong supporting cast that had their moments. It's like comparing the TV and movie versions of "Mission Impossible".

Are you saying Tom Cruise might be Chuck E Cheese? That would go a ways toward explaining his weird middle-tooth.

• Like 3

Are you saying Tom Cruise might be Chuck E Cheese? That would go a ways toward explaining his weird middle-tooth.

It would certainly explain his height, or lack thereof.

• Like 3

I grew up in a Showbiz Area. I was kind of sad that it became Chuck E. Cheese. I preferred not eating rat or mouse pizza.... although I can't remember the Showbiz characters.

I agree, I don't want a rat serving me pizza. I think showbiz was a bear or something? Their characters were cuter.

Yes, a hillybilly bear IIRC. I also remember a trailer-trash bird of some kind. There was one in Delaware that I used to go to when I visited my dad. Had two rooms, arcade up front, theater in the back.

I'm watching TMNT right now. Quick question: is anyone not familiar with the Turtles?

I don't mean, like, you've never heard of them, but more like, you don't know their origin story, who April is, how they ended up in her apartment - that sort of thing?

I'd be really interested to hear anyone's reaction to this movie that knows a lot less about the Turtles than I or most of my friends growing up did. I'm kind of hoping June is in that boat for this ep because I feel like this movie is almost incomprehensible if you don't at least have a baseline knowledge of the Turtles and some of their background.

Anyway, I'm off to go remove all the bells in 15 seconds...while working in concealment.

I've not seen any Turtles stuff but I feel like the synopsis provided by mgo.com prepared me adequately for the movie.

The Turtles have been forced to move in with their friend the news reporter April O'Neil, because the Foot Clan knows the whereabouts of their lair in the sewers. While the Turtles are looking for a new home, they encounter a pizza delivery boy, Keno, who is trying to fight off a band of robbers. The Turtles intervene and help him. The turtles learn that Shredder is not dead and that he is searching for the green ooze that created them. Shredder hopes to create a group of mutant animals to use against the turtles. So the turtles have to prove again that they are the better ninja fighters.

It took me two days to finish the 88-minute movie because I kept falling asleep while watching it. Okay, so there's no emotional connection to the source material, outlandish storyline and arresting visuals to keep me interested in the movie. But what about fight scenes? Surely there are some solid ones given that this is a movie about ninjas? Nope. The fight scenes are so poorly choreographed. I've seen senior tai-chi class that's more riveting.

*watches fight scene from The Grandmaster to help with martial arts blue balls*

[media='']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tk44p0tLlg[/media]

Yes, a hillybilly bear IIRC. I also remember a trailer-trash bird of some kind. There was one in Delaware that I used to go to when I visited my dad. Had two rooms, arcade up front, theater in the back.

Sometimes I forget that the internet has search features. I did some digging and found out some amazing things about Rock-afire Explosion, Showbiz Pizza's Animatronic band that is just flooding my head with memories of Showbiz. Apparently, the creator and designer of the Animatronics has been using them kind of recently to cover songs. I don't know about anyone else but finding this, this morning has made my day infinitely better.

Interesting. I had the opposite reaction. I liked Batman Forever when it first came out. I was 13 and didn't know better, but the next year, my sister got a job working at Blockbuster Video, and she shared her free rentals with me. So I started realizing what good movies actually were, and by the time B&R came out, I was like, "Wtf is this trash?"

So happy you're going to watch TMNT2, though! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

I feel as if, and this is probably not the case at all haha, that Batman & Robin was more self aware than Batman Forever and that's what I appreciate about bad movies. Which is also why I will still sit and watch Spice World and unironically think it's amazing.

There are of course elements of B&R that are still soooooo cringe worthy (pretty much everything Alicia Silverstone does) but I can't help my love for it.

• Like 1

I feel as if, and this is probably not the case at all haha, that Batman & Robin was more self aware than Batman Forever and that's what I appreciate about bad movies. Which is also why I will still sit and watch Spice World and unironically think it's amazing.

There are of course elements of B&R that are still soooooo cringe worthy (pretty much everything Alicia Silverstone does) but I can't help my love for it.

The one thing I can say about Batman & Robin is, when I think about it, it is probably the Batman movie I have deliberately revisited the most often. Don't get me wrong, it's an objectively awful movie, and it's good that Shumacher never made another one, but I've seen it multiple times, whereas I have only seen each of the Nolan films once and the other Batman films maybe a couple of times each. Batman & Robin is so gloriously inept, that I find it a joy to watch. Then again, I'm not much of a DC fan (and consequently not much of a Batman fan) so I don't have a personal stake in how he is represented on screen. All I'm saying is, if you put Batman & Robin in, I'm probably going to watch it to the end, but when I last tried to watch Batman Forever (which, like Fister, I remembered actually liking when I was younger) I only made it through the first five minutes.

The funny thing is, taking this back to Ninja Turtles, even with a movie as bad as Batman & Robin, I can see--no matter what my personal opinion may be--why some people might like it. However, re-watching Secret of the Ooze has been a painful lesson in humility and the power of nostalgia. I LOVED the Ninja Turtles growing up, but everything I have exposed myself this week just boggles my mind. I question how, even as a dumbass kid, I could have ever liked it. This has been my experience this week: "Wow, that was a lot worse than I remember it being, but the first movie was good. Oh wait...Nope, the first movie really wasn't that great either. Hmmm...well, the cartoon was good. [i watch five seconds of the cartoon] Fuck...."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, a person can watch B&R and still walk away thinking they weren't wrong or stupid for liking Batman, but watching Secret of the Ooze has called into question nearly everything I have ever liked.

• Like 2

My defense of Batman Forever is expressed thusly:

tumblr_n7qjm3MQbA1rrkahjo2_250.gif

Thank you, and goodnight.

• Like 4

RE: TMNT, I am pretty sure all my fond memories of them are because of the TMNT arcade game, which I probably spent hundreds of dollars playing (well, hundreds of my parent's dollars).

• Like 8

RE: TMNT, I am pretty sure all my fond memories of them are because of the TMNT arcade game, which I probably spent hundreds of dollars playing (well, hundreds of my parent's dollars).

Yeah, that game and the 4-player X-Men game took MANY of my quarters.

• Like 7

The one thing I can say about Batman & Robin is, when I think about it, it is probably the Batman movie I have deliberately revisited the most often. Don't get me wrong, it's an objectively awful movie, and it's good that Shumacher never made another one, but I've seen it multiple times, whereas I have only seen each of the Nolan films once and the other Batman films maybe a couple of times each. Batman & Robin is so gloriously inept, that I find it a joy to watch. Then again, I'm not much of a DC fan (and consequently not much of a Batman fan) so I don't have a personal stake in how he is represented on screen. All I'm saying is, if you put Batman & Robin in, I'm probably going to watch it to the end, but when I last tried to watch Batman Forever (which, like Fister, I remembered actually liking when I was younger) I only made it through the first five minutes.

The funny thing is, taking this back to Ninja Turtles, even with a movie as bad as Batman & Robin, I can see--no matter what my personal opinion may be--why some people might like it. However, re-watching Secret of the Ooze has been a painful lesson in humility and the power of nostalgia. I LOVED the Ninja Turtles growing up, but everything I have exposed myself this week just boggles my mind. I question how, even as a dumbass kid, I could have ever liked it. This has been my experience this week: "Wow, that was a lot worse than I remember it being, but the first movie was good. Oh wait...Nope, the first movie really wasn't that great either. Hmmm...well, the cartoon was good. [i watch five seconds of the cartoon] Fuck...."

I guess what I'm trying to say is, a person can watch B&R and still walk away thinking they weren't wrong or stupid for liking Batman, but watching Secret of the Ooze has called into question nearly everything I have ever liked.

This definitely makes me feel validated hahaha. Because not even going to lie the last time I did watch B&R plus many of the opinions I have heard from fellow movie lovers I came away saying, "Was I just a dumb kid who was wowed by everything that is Poison Ivy? Did the bright colors just appeal to me? Did George Clooney's George Clooney-ness become a distraction?" And that definitely made me question my entire childhood.

I'm going on the hunt for TMNT tonight so by tomorrow we will have a new episode and I will hopefully have another long ass note page on my phone to share with y'all!

• Like 2

Question: How do I know TMNT2 is bad before watching it?

Answer: Someone uploaded it illegally to youtube two years ago, and no one has bothered to take it down.

https://www.youtube....h?v=HbK4G91wfDc

I saw the Arabic title and watermark thing, and I was really hoping this was going to be dubbed in Arabic with English subs. I think I would have watched the whole thing.

I guess that's the difference with me. I prefer my bad movies to have actually tried to make a good one. As much as we beat on JA last week, they were (as Nick Kroll would say) all trying their hardest to make a good movie. And I'll always prefer that to intentionally bad movies filled with winking at the camera. Maybe the self-awareness makes it easier to stomach for some, but unless it's done in parody (like, for example, Black Dynamite), it just feels like a half-hearted excuse to make a bad movie to me.

• Like 2

I guess that's the difference with me. I prefer my bad movies to have actually tried to make a good one. As much as we beat on JA last week, they were (as Nick Kroll would say) all trying their hardest to make a good movie. And I'll always prefer that to intentionally bad movies filled with winking at the camera. Maybe the self-awareness makes it easier to stomach for some, but unless it's done in parody (like, for example, Black Dynamite), it just feels like a half-hearted excuse to make a bad movie to me.

Oh yeah I completely agree. JA would not have been even half as good as it was if they had been winking at the audience the whole time. If you have seen Sense8 at all (which is AMAZING btw I highly recommend it if you haven't) then you can tell The Wachowskis do not do subtle ever. And half the time I can't tell if that means they are aware of the ridiculousness they put into their work or if they genuinely think everyone is going to take it seriously.

I may only have B&R and Spice World to really back up that statement I made because I can think of two other movies that are terrible (The Day After Tomorrow & Queen of the Damned) that actually try to be serious within the ridiculousness and I don't think I would love those movies as much as I do if they weren't so.

• Like 2

I watched the Ooze... then I thought... oh god this can't be my childhood. Then I watched the first movie... so much better! They actually draw their weapons!

• Like 3

Well um... I do have, "Go ninja go ninja go" stuck in my head.

And I hate all of you.

• Like 3

And I hate all of you.

giphy.gif

I'm so, so sorry.

• Like 2

Well um... I do have, "Go ninja go ninja go" stuck in my head.

And I hate all of you.

1PM2rEF.gif

• Like 2

giphy.gif

I'm so, so sorry.

1PM2rEF.gif

tumblr_lh1az7zvqU1qzbl7f.gif

Although Cameron, I can totally see why this would be so much better in your memory.