🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Blast Hardcheese

Vacation (2015)

My wife and I went to go see Mad Max: Fury Road (highly recommended!) a couple of weeks ago, and were treated to an onslaught of abysmal movie previews (does anyone remember when trailers actually made you want to go see movies?) Slogging through one forgettable and unworthy preview after the next, we were treated to the the celluloid regurgitation that is Vacation. Besides boasting one of the most unambitious movie titles imaginable, we were treated to mindnumbing "comedic" faire such as cattle mutilation, a beautiful woman in a sports car getting obliterated by an 18-wheeler, our plucky heroes swimming in a lagoon of human excriment, anti-intellectualism, and Chevy Chase's fat, unfunny face. Seriously, this movie makesTomcats look like Sabrina.

This fuckin' loathesome, bloated corpse of a movie looks like cancer for the soul, and I would like to preemptively recommend it here and now just to get it over with.

we were treated to mindnumbing "comedic" faire such as [...] a beautiful woman in a sports car getting obliterated by an 18-wheeler

Yeah, I saw that in a commercial and was just like, "They seriously think that's one of their best jokes? They really think showing a woman being killed is going to make me want to see this movie?" Maybe they'll also have a humorous re-interpretation of "The Hitcher's" 'stretching' scene.

This probably won't be covered on the show (at the very least, Ed Helms was on "Comedy Bang Bang," so they know someone who knows him), but hopefully this movie won't do well enough to make Paramount think, "You know that Ed Helms-starring 'Naked Gun' we have in development? We should start production!"

This basically looks like Vacation by way of The Hangover. Everything about that preview just screamed gross to me.

And considering Ed Helms for Frank Drebin just shows that whoever is involved in that reboot doesn't understand why Police Squad/The Naked Gun worked so well.

• Like 1

And considering Ed Helms for Frank Drebin just shows that whoever is involved in that reboot doesn't understand why Police Squad/The Naked Gun worked so well.

Indeed. If at all, they should do it with David Caruso.

• Like 1

This basically looks like Vacation by way of The Hangover. Everything about that preview just screamed gross to me.

First Red Dawn. Then RoboCop. Now Naked Gun?!? This reboot shit really needs to stop. Why can't Hollywood leave great films alone and just retool those movies with great premises that bombed back when instead?

(does anyone remember when trailers actually made you want to go see movies?)

I remember that feeling when I saw the Fury Road trailer.

I just don't get the need for a Vacation reboot as only the original, Christmas, and to some extent European were good. Plus the over exaggeration of grossness doesn't really work for this series as while it did have some gross stuff it was more based in the humor of the family dynamic.

Also that scene where the woman is hit by the truck is completely ripped from a Family Guy episode.

• Like 1

Indeed. If at all, they should do it with David Caruso.

I love that idea, though it's still unclear whether David Caruso has any sense of humor at all. (Elsewhere on the Internet, one of the better ideas for a "Naked Gun" reboot lead was Liam Neeson.)

• Like 2

First Red Dawn. Then RoboCop. Now Naked Gun?!? This reboot shit really needs to stop. Why can't Hollywood leave great films alone and just retool those movies with great premises that bombed back when instead?

To be fair, both the Red Dawn and RoboCop remakes were pretty big flops. However, that makes me wonder why studios think this is a good idea from a moneymaking perspective.

• Like 2

To be fair, both the Red Dawn and RoboCop remakes were pretty big flops. However, that makes me wonder why studios think this is a good idea from a moneymaking perspective.

I think the studios are in it for the quick cash grab. Given the competing interests from the Internet, video games and television on-demand, Hollywood's last deperate grasp is to repurpose itself. In doing so, however, it's produced a body of re-work that seem as if it's tailor made for morons who could give two shits about plot, character or nuance over cartoonish CGI, barfing and "...'splosions!" (these are usually the same people who proclaim, "They should remake that with... ") Studios take these properties people of any generation are semi-familiar with, repackage these with uncharasmatic-yet-aesthetically-pleasing-looking actors, and slap them on screen with the idea that foreign markets will pick up the slack when these movies bomb over here. Taking a risk on a brand new or daring property isn't bottom line cost effective, so throw Ed Helms in a retread and rake in that cash!

Reboots and remakes are the particle board of cinema. But as long as there are stupid people willing to shell-out their hard-earned cash of these digitally slick turds, the more Hollywood will tap their inventory and completely fuck up the formula in the process.

Part of me is wanting to give the movie a chance because I like John Francis Daley (co-writer/ co-director of Vacation) in Freaks and Geeks and really enjoyed Horrible Bosses which he co-wrote. Then I saw the trailer and remembered he wrote that movie about Steve Carrell and Jim Carey being magicians that flopped. It looks to be about 2 hours too long. I don't dislike Ed Helms but I don't think he's the type of guy that should play the lead in any movie. I'm fine with Ed being quirky Ed in moderation but I don't have the patience to sit through a feature length film in which he's doing what he does for 1.5 to 2 hours or 5 hours if he ever stars in a Judd Apatow film.

This probably won't be covered on the show (at the very least, Ed Helms was on "Comedy Bang Bang," so they know someone who knows him), but hopefully this movie won't do well enough to make Paramount think, "You know that Ed Helms-starring 'Naked Gun' we have in development? We should start production!"

I never quite understood what ignorance is bliss truly was until I learned they want to do a reboot/remake of the Naked Gun starring Ed Helms. I wonder of OJ Simpson will reprise his role.

Naked Gun with Ed Helms is going to totally fuckin' blow. And you know they'll replace the fun and clever satirical zeal of the original films (and television show) with over-the-top gross-out gags, low hanging fruit observations and pandering bullshit.

• Like 2

My least favorite part of the Vacation TV spots I've seen is when Ed Helms says "This Vacation will hold up to the original" or something along those lines. Blatantly stealing jokes made in 22 Jump Street and Hot Tub Time Machine 2 imo

Naked Gun with Ed Helms is going to totally fuckin' blow. And you know they'll replace the fun and clever satirical zeal of the original films (and television show) with over-the-top gross-out gags, low hanging fruit observations and pandering bullshit.

A bunch of bad words!!!!! I wonder how much Ed Helms is being paid to deficate on Leslie Neilson's work.

I was watching the What the Flick review of this movie and they played a clip that had some dialogue from the younger brother. Its jarringly bad, and its fucking insane that apparently this kid talks to and in front of his parents like a longshoreman, while bullying his older brother.

Its pretty fucking sad that both Vegas Vacation and Cousin Eddies Island Adventure are both more solid films than this hateful piece of shit.

• Like 1

The original Vacation was based on trips from John Hughes' childhood, so despite the sort of heightened reality of the movie there was something tangible and real for an audience to identify with. The jokes were built around the story. On the other hand, this movie seems to function solely as a joke delivery system, with nothing real to latch onto. The fact that the jokes are dumb and by most accounts very, very bad, probably doesn't help.

• Like 3

I think the biggest problem for me out of the gate is, who the fuck ever cared about Rusty? He had very little in the way of personality in any of the movies.

They would have been better off doing a straight reboot than to try and ever make us give a shit about Rusty. Its like they knew how much of a pain in the ass it would be to try and cast someone who can replicate Chevy's smug assholish take on the role, so they opted to cast Ed Helm as Rusty and give him no definable personality.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this