🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 193 — Into the Thunderdome

Mark Kozelek is getting a lot of lip service on my podcasts. AP Mike from Tom Scharpling's Best Show made a parody song inspired by Sun Kil Moon that I found pretty damn funny: http://thebestshow.net/episode/worst-100-characters-percy-hobart-mike-krol/ (Starts with about 33:00 minutes left). Unrelated to that, but then Scharpling big upped Hollywood Handbook a little later.

Andy Daly saying the Iron Sheik was funny made me laugh more than it should have. Amanda Sitko sounds like Lauren Lapkus' older sister. Andy Daly turning very Danny Mahoney was beautiful, and I'd like to see J Dawg added to his catalog of characters.

• Like 2

Mark Kozelek is getting a lot of lip service on my podcasts. AP Mike from Tom Scharpling's Best Show made a parody song inspired by Sun Kil Moon that I found pretty damn funny: http://thebestshow.n...bart-mike-krol/ (Starts with about 33:00 minutes left). Unrelated to that, but then Scharpling big upped Hollywood Handbook a little later.

Andy Daly saying the Iron Sheik was funny made me laugh more than it should have. Amanda Sitko sounds like Lauren Lapkus' older sister. Andy Daly turning very Danny Mahoney was beautiful, and I'd like to see J Dawg added to his catalog of characters.

you can listen here too http://apmike.bandcamp.com/releases

• Like 2

4. Ultimately, it seems to come down to the fact that many don't want to change their language/behavior. Essentially, they don't want to have to deal with this hassle of change and being condemned for their words, as they don't feel personally offended by it and refuse to acknowledge the enormous number of people who are offended and who have a logical thought process that legitimizes that offense. This is ironic because Besser and Souprman are essentially trying to control and condemn the "PC police" for their behavior/words. The difference is, U.S. PC police are promoting respect and equality, while Besser; Souprman, and Kozelek just want to be able to make stupid "jokes", be insulting, and generally say whatever the fuck they want without consequences. I think the respect and equality of historically and currently disenfranchised groups is more important than the constant comfort of the systematically privileged.

5. All in all, this was a pretty upsetting episode to listen to. I have listened to every episode of i4H at least twice (most of them 3+ times), and I have also bought/watched as much of Besser's other stuff as I could in order to support him. The amount of happiness this show has brought to my life over the last few years is hard to quantify. Ever since those first listens, Besser has (had?) been a personal hero of mine. He always seemed to create the smartest, craziest, and simply funniest comedy, all while helping the careers of other great comedians by giving them exposure and generally showing the audience how awesome they were. He would also frequently "fight the good fight" and advocate for causes important to me, from marriage equality to gun control. But as a feminist/feminist ally/whatever you want to call solemn who believes in equality for women, it is very difficult for me to reconcile this episode with my previous view of Besser. It's going to be hard for me to listen to i4H again, simply because the views expressed in this episode are so infuriating/downright wrong and backwards. I'm sure future episodes will be funny, but, for me personally, listening to the show again would most likely be a reminder of prejudice and willful ignorance rather than the source of happiness it has always been. I'm not calling for a boycott or anything, all I'm saying is that I've been a huge fan of Besser and everything he's done, but this episode means listening to future episodes might not be a pleasant experience for me personally. So I guess you guys win, I won't be here to police your fun any more. If you want to call this over sensitive or whatever go ahead, because you're still missing the point entirely. So yell at me and promote prejudice, I won't be reading it any way, and my belief of gender equality is unshakable.

Apparently you're not going to read this, but I agree with you completely. And you're certainly not alone. Outside of the earwolf boards, the general consensus is definitely that Matt argued his point very poorly. I mean, it was palpably awkward, and you could hear some hesitation from the improvisors as well. The points he made on the previous episode made a lot more sense, but it was, even for a super-fan of the show like myself, shockingly uncomfortable to listen to. I've been a big defender of Case Closed but this one really bummed me out. I don't want him to stop the segment, because I want him to do his show his way, but it seems to me the best Case Closed segments are actually the ones where Matt isn't the one/only one arguing (Gun Control, Bestiality, etc.)

• Like 1

Wow. I'm in NYC for the Del Close Marathon. (improv4humans live tomorrow, Saturday 1-5pm, at UCBeast) so I haven't read this til now. Even now I can't read all these long posts but I'm surprised at such negative reaction to this. I thought we had a pretty civil discussion with four people. And we are just people with opinions, not politicians representing public policy. I think it takes a certain amount of guts to come on the show so i thank kate, soup, and wax for that. To criticize them seems ridiculous. Think of the glass half full. How many shows have this kind of discussion opportunities with fans? There are so many podcasts where nothing of societal importance is ever discussed. Be proud that we are all actively involved in these kind of debates. It's not done enough. But do we have to get mean on this forum?Aren't we all on the same team? We all know that the real enemy is the part of the comedy industry that creates things like Entourage. If you are disappointed in me, well, that disappoints me. I hate to think that Case Closed makes the show lose any fans. I think spirited debate is entertaining. I honestly don't care about the SKM issue that much and I could easily debate the other side of the issue. I find it fun taking a challenging stance on an issue, and I think it can be inspiring for good comedy. I know a lot of people hate it, so I'm pretty sure we've only done CC once in 2015. And I try to do extra long show when we do it. So I'm sorry I disappoint you but after all, I am only humon.

I also kind of wish the spirit of the forum after a Case Closed would be that since everybody is invited into the Thunderdome, then once the Case is Closed then the Case is Closed. It's like a gentlemen's (or gentlewoman's!) agreement. Otherwise it seems things always get nasty.

Long live Del!

Dagnabbit, Matt, I can't stay mad at you. Well said.

These touchy-feely debates have the same effect on me that criticizing Hillary Clinton has on Besser.

• Like 1

People are taking the Case Closed segment way too seriously

it was entertaining, chill out

• Like 1

I listened to the show and then clicked on the forum thread about it. Needless to say I'm pretty disappointed that there wasn't 6 pages of a lively discussion about cuckolding for me to read.

• Like 1