🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 113.5 — Minisode 113.5

We will be covering a movie very soon that is almost like Blade Runner but a lot different. Oh yeah, Gene Simmons is the villain in it. Paul shares a clip from I Was There Too that features Josh Pais aka Raphael himself as he goes through Corrections and Omissions for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, explains whether Nic Cage would make TMNT II better, and tells us how to enhance our movie watching experience during Sheer’s Picks. Plus, Paul reveals who is his dream HDTGM guest as he answers your Qs!

Los Angeles: Get your tickets now for the 10pm show of HDTGM LIVE from Largo on Saturday, August 29th! Go to www.largo-la.com for tickets!

People of the internet: Check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and ScheeRL on YouTube here:

"Runaway"? Jesus, I saw it so many times when I was younger, but barely remember a thing except for mechanical spiders! Also, the "Community" episode that references it and it's mechanical spiders.

• Like 1

I remember Gene's death scene, and that back then, Kirstie Alley was lookin' good.

• Like 1

YES! I used to see this in reruns all the time as a kid and thought the murderous spider robots were really cool. Gene SImmons just plays himself in this, which is to say he's terrible.

• Like 2

Considering that "Blade Runner" was a bomb, "Like Blade Runner, but different..." probably wasn't a bad direction to go in 1984. The results though...

Also, with the book "Jurassic Park" still a few years off, Michael C. was in a bit of a slump.

Nice, I got mentioned for the first time in forever! Got a little butchered though. For those that didn't read my original comment, what I basically said was that this movie came out the week that the Gulf War ended, so I'd like to imagine that if this movie takes place in our universe (And why wouldn't it? It DID cause 9/11...), some mention of that just may have been buried far beneath the giant "Ninja Rap is Born!" Headline.

Jeez, can you imagine the ass-chewing that reporters at the other papers must have gotten after getting scooped on the Ninja Rap thing? They were probably too concerned with writing about wars n' shit...

• Like 2

Runaway is next? I had forgotten about that... but it is 100% HDTGM material. And it gives me a great excuse to watch it again. (Oh, those crappy, crappy robot spiders!)

Paul: "Taylorannephoto, becoming the next Cameron H, I might add"

Whoa, whoa, whoa--hold on a second! Tayloranne, we're going to have to do something about this. The way I see it we can either do pistols at dawn or--better yet--we can join forces! Together there will be no power in the universe that can stop us! It's your choice, so consider carefully...

giphy.gif

• Like 9

Nice, I got mentioned for the first time in forever! Got a little butchered though.

That's just how it is, man. Sometimes when he starts to read one of mine I'm just thinking, "Oh no! Not that one! There's a parenthetical! He'll never make it!" I think it's hilarious.

I will say though, I am glad that he or Nate chose my Donatello post. I was hoping it would get chosen just because I knew he was going to have trouble with the word "perspicacity." I was not disappointed. :)

• Like 4

That's just how it is, man. Sometimes when he starts to read one of mine I'm just thinking, "Oh no! Not that one! There's a parenthetical! He'll never make it!" I think it's hilarious.

I will say though, I am glad that he or Nate chose my Donatello post. I was hoping it would get chosen just because I knew he was going to have trouble with the word "perspicacity." I was not disappointed. :)/>

I totally get it, but it was pretty short and could have been read verbatim. However, I've heard my comments get read aloud before on different things and not sound right, and I think maybe I write too closely to how I talk sometimes. On a cold read, it might might not come across right the first time.

• Like 3

"Here's the thing." I'm buying twice as many graphic tees as I already have just because Paul has shit on them in Bonobos ads for a couple weeks in a row now.

Considering that "Blade Runner" was a bomb, "Like Blade Runner, but different..." probably wasn't a bad direction to go in 1984. The results though...

Also, with the book "Jurassic Park" still a few years off, Michael C. was in a bit of a slump.

Crichton had already done the movie Westworld, The First Great Train Robbery, and Coma (which was the film debut of the Selleck-stache), though, which were all huge financial and critical successes.

15615-3685.jpg

Oh, and Paul called me "perfectly titled."

n512a7c997d9d6.jpg

• Like 6

I'm really excited for Runaway. It's been awhile! (♫♪), since they've done a movie that I've never even heard of. This one seems pretty promising...

Plus, we can all discuss how remarkably well Tom Selleck has aged and how poorly Gene Simmons has...

266357_large.jpg

• Like 4

I'm pretty pumped for this movie, too. I know I've seen it because my mom (and basically every other woman in the 80s/early 90s) looooooved Tom Selleck, but I don't remember anything about it. I'm having my annual Independence Day viewing right now, but as soon as it's over, Runaway is up.

Plus, we can all discuss how remarkably well Tom Selleck has aged and how poorly Gene Simmons has...

I'm pretty sure Selleck's mustache holds some kind of anti-aging magic. He's actually five years older than Simmons, but he looks about 20 years younger now.

• Like 3

However, I've heard my comments get read aloud before on different things and not sound right, and I think maybe I write too closely to how I talk sometimes. On a cold read, it might might not come across right the first time.

I took a Better Business Writing class not long ago. One of the points it made, that was nonetheless an "a-ha!" moment for me when I heard it, was "E-mail (The class mainly focused on e-mail) is not the same thing as spoken communication; don't e-mail like you speak."

Anyway. Movie. Tom Selleck AND Gene Simmons? Never heard of "Runaway" other than the Bon Jovi song, but I'm down for this. Gene Simmons actually tried to make a go of acting in the 80s, didn't he? He was also in this, uh, movie, among many other credits to his name.

Speaking on the idea of the British nanny dying in "Jurassic World"--Empire magazine actually interviewed director Colin Trevorrow on the Empire Film Podcast about that death:

"We knew that it was the first time that a woman was going to die in a 'Jurassic Park' movie, that had never happened before. And we feel like we're an equal opportunity bunch of murderers on this movie, and so we felt like, all right, if we're gonna to do it, let's make it the most spectacular death that we could possibly imagine and it involve multiple animals from sea and air...You know, I like that moment so much, it really is a moment that articulates very clearly the kind of action and surprise that I loved and tried to do with this movie as much as, which is playing on the audience's expectation and jadedness even to storytelling. You drop her in the water and immediately everybody says, 'Ah, I know what's gonna happen!' But you don't! And the birds start coming in, and you get distracted by that, and suddenly what you THOUGHT was gonna happen happens [the mosasaur attacking]...We definitely struggled with how much to allow her to earn her death...But it the end, you know, I feel that the 'earned death' in these movies is something that's become a bit standard, and another thing that I wanted to subvert. And [we asked ourselves] 'How can we surprise people?' Well, let's have somebody die that just doesn't deserve to die at all. That happens in horror films all the time. It shocks me at times and I know it's coming!"

The conversation about this happens at about 4:13 into the Empire Film Podcast's Jurassic World Spoiler Podcast.

I hope that Paul has some nice button-up, collared Ant-Man/Drax shirts for his signings. Maybe a nice pair of slacks too, because if the comic show crowd hates anything, it's shorts and graphic tees. Oh, WAIT...

• Like 3

Nice, I got mentioned for the first time in forever! Got a little butchered though. For those that didn't read my original comment, what I basically said was that this movie came out the week that the Gulf War ended, so I'd like to imagine that if this movie takes place in our universe (And why wouldn't it? It DID cause 9/11...), some mention of that just may have been buried far beneath the giant "Ninja Rap is Born!" Headline.

Jeez, can you imagine the ass-chewing that reporters at the other papers must have gotten after getting scooped on the Ninja Rap thing?

As a kid I "wrote" Christmas cards to Gulf War soldiers. They never wrote me back but the did write my little brother back. Such horseshit!!!!!!! I'm still jealous.

its on netflix uk/ireland if you have access to it

Ya'll got a better Netflix over there. We just got Roadhouse on the States one!

Ya'll got a better Netflix over there. We just got Roadhouse on the States one!

nah .. its really lacking in content compared to the states one. we have to wait ages for new series and films .. if we get them at all. plus it costs more. geo blocking sucksss .. but there are ways around it i suppose

i hear the one is australia is even worse

• Like 1

Speaking on the idea of the British nanny dying in "Jurassic World"--Empire magazine actually interviewed director Colin Trevorrow on the Empire Film Podcast about that death:

"We knew that it was the first time that a woman was going to die in a 'Jurassic Park' movie, that had never happened before. And we feel like we're an equal opportunity bunch of murderers on this movie, and so we felt like, all right, if we're gonna to do it, let's make it the most spectacular death that we could possibly imagine and it involve multiple animals from sea and air...You know, I like that moment so much, it really is a moment that articulates very clearly the kind of action and surprise that I loved and tried to do with this movie as much as, which is playing on the audience's expectation and jadedness even to storytelling. You drop her in the water and immediately everybody says, 'Ah, I know what's gonna happen!' But you don't! And the birds start coming in, and you get distracted by that, and suddenly what you THOUGHT was gonna happen happens [the mosasaur attacking]...We definitely struggled with how much to allow her to earn her death...But it the end, you know, I feel that the 'earned death' in these movies is something that's become a bit standard, and another thing that I wanted to subvert. And [we asked ourselves] 'How can we surprise people?' Well, let's have somebody die that just doesn't deserve to die at all. That happens in horror films all the time. It shocks me at times and I know it's coming!"

The conversation about this happens at about 4:13 into the Empire Film Podcast's Jurassic World Spoiler Podcast.

She was about the only person in that movie that I didn't feel should have died. For real. I was rooting for the dinosaurs from the moment those shitty kids showed up.

Also, Pteranodons pretty much only ate fish. But that's probably the smallest problem I have with that movie.

• Like 1

She was about the only person in that movie that I didn't feel should have died. For real. I was rooting for the dinosaurs from the moment those shitty kids showed up.

Also, Pteranodons pretty much only ate fish. But that's probably the smallest problem I have with that movie.

Maybe those pteranodons were nearsighted and confused her for a fish? Ha ha, jk.

I don't know. I had a great time watching the movie. I thought the characters probably could have used some more depth, and if I went back and watched it again I'm sure I could find plenty of weird plot things.

But, as with any movie, I have to ask myself: despite any problems it may have had, did the movie ultimately win me over in the end? In the case of "Jurassic World," I'd have to say "Yes." If a film can win me over, I'll forgive a lot. As I did with "Furious 7." BUT--if a film's problems and inconsistencies overwhelm the picture, and I'm just left with a bad taste in my mouth at the end, I won't forgive those flaws. I try to look at the whole package I guess.

Of course, what worked for me I'm sure won't work for others, and that's fine. I had a blast at "Jurassic World." Hopefully you don't look down on my film tastes too much! I promise I like good films!

**cowers in corner**

• Like 3

During the attack, there was a part that I thought was SO adorable that no one brings up. The petting zoo gets attacked, but they couldn't lift the baby dinos because they were too heavy. Like, one of them tries to take off with a little brontosaurus or something, and then drops it from three feet off the ground. Awwwwwwwwww! It's too bad what happens to the humans though. Yeah, that sucks...

Maybe the Pteranodons were genetically engineered to crave HUMAN FLESH!

• Like 2

it could of been so much better, bladerunner I mean. LOL

2wcl6pd.jpg

note; If someone finds a red ferrari at the right angle i'll add it as the police car.

• Like 4

I'm about halfway through this movie, and I don't know if I can make it. Couple things I've noticed so far:

- This film had no budget for outdoor shots.

- Most of the robots look like stacks of VCRs.

- The relationship between Tom Selleck and his partner is hilarious.

- Is Tom Selleck's son in this movie this worst child actor of all HDTGM movies?