🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 113.5 — Minisode 113.5

Oh, and also what's up with Gene Simmons' girlfriend yelling at the cops that she's a fitness instructor? What? Who cares, lady?

Preemptive 5-star review, this time from Netflix...

"A really really good sci-fi thriller ! Krisiti Alley looked so beautiful! Of course, Tom Selleck has always been a heartthrob ! When takes off those glasses, you'll melt ! Even now, decades later, this film's acid attacking robotic spiders will make you squirm and give you the heebie-jeebies ! Plus your stomach will get queasy when Jack Ramsey has to face his fear of heights in that skyscraper open elevator cage ! Yep, exciting and suspenseful ! I guarantee ! The digital soundtrack really enahanced the experience too!"

• Like 3

i hear the one is australia is even worse

I can confirm that Australian netflix is a dud. Not really their fault though. Two tv networks launched streaming services just before netflix launched and really split shows and movies apart. Also Fox has a monopoly on our cable tv and that service is like a turd wrapped in hot garbage. Urrrgh.. end of rant!

Maybe those pteranodons were nearsighted and confused her for a fish? Ha ha, jk.

I don't know. I had a great time watching the movie. I thought the characters probably could have used some more depth, and if I went back and watched it again I'm sure I could find plenty of weird plot things.

But, as with any movie, I have to ask myself: despite any problems it may have had, did the movie ultimately win me over in the end? In the case of "Jurassic World," I'd have to say "Yes." If a film can win me over, I'll forgive a lot. As I did with "Furious 7." BUT--if a film's problems and inconsistencies overwhelm the picture, and I'm just left with a bad taste in my mouth at the end, I won't forgive those flaws. I try to look at the whole package I guess.

Of course, what worked for me I'm sure won't work for others, and that's fine. I had a blast at "Jurassic World." Hopefully you don't look down on my film tastes too much! I promise I like good films!

**cowers in corner**

That's cool. Like what you like, dude. I'm not here to judge anyone for liking something I didn't.

I do unashamedly and unironically love the Fast and Furious movies, and I totally have HDTGM to thank for that.

I ended up taking a nap instead of watching Runaway earlier. I'm not sure if starting it at 1:30 AM is a good idea or not, but here goes...

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of Gene Simmons, or KISS, but I was surprised by how much I hated watching him in this.

I hated looking at him, I hated hearing him, goddamn I hated him!

He did, however, deliver my favourite line in the movie. When he's yelling at Tom Sellcek about his mech spiders.

"Ever see them kill somebody Ramsay? It's really impressive, they're loaded with acid!"

That's pure gold right there.

I hope that June is able to be on this episode. I'd really like to hear her thoughts on Ramsay and Thompson's relationship and the ending. I almost stopped this movie when the credits started. Boy am I glad I kept watching.

• Like 1

When Tom Selleck is fighting the mech spiders on that rickety, old elevator, it totally reminded me of those levels in Mario Brothers where you climb around and punch turtles through a fence.

04f.jpg

• Like 3

Paul: "Taylorannephoto, becoming the next Cameron H, I might add"

Whoa, whoa, whoa--hold on a second! Tayloranne, we're going to have to do something about this. The way I see it we can either do pistols at dawn or--better yet--we can join forces! Together there will be no power in the universe that can stop us! It's your choice, so consider carefully...

giphy.gif

Oh I'm comin' for ya

zendaya-bad-blood-gif.gif

• Like 4

That's just how it is, man. Sometimes when he starts to read one of mine I'm just thinking, "Oh no! Not that one! There's a parenthetical! He'll never make it!" I think it's hilarious.

This was me as well. I kept thinking, "Please don't read that whole thing! I was a ranting mess by the end!" But he enjoyed it and I enjoyed that lol.

• Like 3

domo arigato FisterRoboto!

• Like 4

When Tom Selleck is fighting the mech spiders on that rickety, old elevator, it totally reminded me of those levels in Mario Brothers where you climb around and punch turtles through a fence.

04f.jpg

Me too! It gave my brain something fun to remember while I was trying to sit through this.

Anyone else think Selleck was going to give his partner a face waterfall at the end? But instead it turned out to be the lesser spotted nose mash.

• Like 1

Oh I'm comin' for ya

Okay, I see how it is...I offer an olive branch and you come with the heat.

Well, as previously established on these forums, there's only one way to settle these types of disputes. That's right! Strap on your dancing shoes, Tayloranne! It's dance-fighting time, and me and my posse have been rehearsing all day.

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Has anyone read this yet?

5594404a82091.jpg

I'm pretty apathetic about Drax and Ant-man, but hopefully, if the sales are strong enough, we can maybe get Scheer on a Speedball ongoing.

3397279-speedball.jpg

I loved Kiss as a kid, so I wound up seeing Runaway a bunch back then. I had forgotten most of it, but when I found a copy on DVD a couple of years ago, I grabbed it immediately. It wasn't quite as exciting as I remembered it being, but I still enjoyed it.

I still need to see Never Too Young To Die, in which John Stamos (in his film debut) battles Gene Simmons playing an "evil hermaphrodite" (quote from Wikipedia).

• Like 1

Has anyone read this yet?

5594404a82091.jpg

I'm pretty apathetic about Drax and Ant-man, but hopefully, if the sales are strong enough, we can maybe get Scheer on a Speedball ongoing.

3397279-speedball.jpg

I have not, but I intend to, since I like Drax bunches and find Ant-Man an interesting character (an Avenger with more douchey tendencies than even Tony Stark? Tell me more!)

I have, however, read the Secret Wars Journal with the Scott Auckerman story in it and enjoyed that very much. It has a surprising amount of heart and sweetness to it (at least for a story with a preponderance of Hulks), almost as if the jaded alternative comedy exterior is just a crunchy shell, hiding a gooey and lovable center.

• Like 1

I have not, but I intend to, since I like Drax bunches and find Ant-Man an interesting character (an Avenger with more douchey tendencies than even Tony Stark? Tell me more!)

I have, however, read the Secret Wars Journal with the Scott Auckerman story in it and enjoyed that very much. It has a surprising amount of heart and sweetness to it (at least for a story with a preponderance of Hulks), almost as if the jaded alternative comedy exterior is just a crunchy shell, hiding a gooey and lovable center.

That's more or less what I heard about Auckerman's story. I am hoping to pick them both up tomorrow.

Yeah, Drax is alright, I guess. I liked him okay during DnA's run on Guardian's of the Galaxy, but that was more because the book was just that good.

As far as Ant-Man...Hank Pym's history is pretty suspect and I admit I don't know very much about Scott Lang. I will tell you this though, Marvel has been really smart about how they've been handling his integration into the MCU. And casting Paul Rudd was a stroke of genius.

Also, even though it's been out for awhile--for those who haven't read it yet--Paul's Aliens vs. Parker was quite good and tons of fun. I couldn't recommend it more.

tumblr_inline_n0np71Jq4g1rb5s5a.jpg

• Like 1

Medical advice from Tom Selleck in Runaways:

Selleck: "You just sit tight kid, everything's going to be fine."

Selleck's partner, after getting shot: "I'm trying not to breathe."

Selleck: "You do that."

Wait... what?

• Like 2

During the attack, there was a part that I thought was SO adorable that no one brings up. The petting zoo gets attacked, but they couldn't lift the baby dinos because they were too heavy. Like, one of them tries to take off with a little brontosaurus or something, and then drops it from three feet off the ground. Awwwwwwwwww! It's too bad what happens to the humans though. Yeah, that sucks...

Maybe the Pteranodons were genetically engineered to crave HUMAN FLESH!

A baby Triceratops! I've seen so many people talk about the assistant, but I honestly was not bothered by her death. I didn't see how it was any worse than Sam L Jackson's arm or the lawyer's death being played 100% for laughs. But I was seriously concerned for that baby Triceratops.

• Like 2

A baby Triceratops! I've seen so many people talk about the assistant, but I honestly was not bothered by her death. I didn't see how it was any worse than Sam L Jackson's arm or the lawyer's death being played 100% for laughs. But I was seriously concerned for that baby Triceratops.

I wanted to see more of the baby dinos in general! We could have a modern day "Land Before Time"!

• Like 3

Paul: Also, this is another good point here, um, "I can't believe I made an account specifically to answer this one point," this is of course marq with a q saying this. He goes, "But as a staunch defender of this movie, I have to point out that the reason Splinter has an Asian accent is because -- as a rat -- he was from Japan." Marq just gave us a facial.

Quick, get up from your knees, unshut your eyes and move out of the way*. HDTGM was right to say that Splinter spoke with a "stereotypically Asian accent". No one on the podcast and in the forum has a problem with Splinter (and Shredder) having an Asian accent. As other forum members have pointed out, what is problematic is that the Asian accent is a racist one.

*P.S. No judgment on the ladies and gents, but especially the ladies, who like to take it in the face.

Edited to add: I did not delibrately time my post with seanotron's above me.

• Like 6

Runaway! I remember my mom watched this movie over and over cuz Tom Selleck was in it. I think next week's episode will give me PTSD.

• Like 1

So I started watching Runaway this morning and was thinking that it couldn't be and stupider, when suddenly, out of nowhere, the Chief tells Selleck, "I want you to talk to our psychic" and I nearly lost my goddamn mind.

Also, I'm surprised R.O.B. didn't make a cameo...

tumblr_mzcp9ieNgx1s9xo4do3_500.gif

• Like 8

Edited to add: I did not delibrately time my post with seanotron's above me.

I'd like to think it was kismet.

• Like 3

So I started watching Runaway this morning and was thinking that it couldn't be and stupider, when suddenly, out of nowhere, the Chief tells Selleck, "I want you to talk to our psychic" and I nearly lost my goddamn mind.

Also, I'm surprised R.O.B. didn't make a cameo...

tumblr_mzcp9ieNgx1s9xo4do3_500.gif

Oh jeez, THAT fuckin' guy...

• Like 1