🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 360 — Snow Dome

What is the point of having a forum if everyone is just supposed to declare every episode great?

e x a c t l y

• Like 2

What is the point of having a forum if everyone is just supposed to declare every episode great?

Unlike a lot of threads that nosedive into negativity, I think that the content and tone of most of the criticism in this thread has actually been really well-stated and reasonable. The amount of it has just been kind of baffling for an episode that seemed perfectly fine.

• Like 2

Well, here's my theory about what happened with this weird episode. I think Paul's intention with the character was centered around the ISIS thing, but Scott didn't really pick up on that, so Paul was lost. By the time they came back to it (Paul finally brought it up himself), it was pretty much too late.

• Like 1

Unlike a lot of threads that nosedive into negativity, I think that the content and tone of most of the criticism in this thread has actually been really well-stated and reasonable. The amount of it has just been kind of baffling for an episode that seemed perfectly fine.

Do you really think it's that baffling? It's just a discussion.

• Like 1

I first heard Jimmy Pardo on the Comedy Death-Ray live album in 2007. I thought he seemed like someone from a generation or two older, as far as his delivery. I have since warmed up to and understood the angle of the humor and have been listening to NNF (stands for "Never Not Funny") just as religiously as CBB (stands for "Comedy Bang! Bang!") for about six years now. ALSO, I think that the sense of humor that Matt Belknap has is very similar to Scott Aukerman's, if not the exact same. ALSO, Paul Brittain was funny in this episode. I thought it was obvious that he was going for the character not being interesting. ALSO, Jim Gaffigan has what I can only assume is a tv show on TV Land.

• Like 8

I enjoyed both guests, though this episode wasn't quite as hilarious as some of the more recent, more absurd episodes. Still pretty good though. And yeah, the criticism hasn't been truly dickish. I just wanted to make that dumb Jewel joke nobody liked.

Do you really think it's that baffling? It's just a discussion.

Yeah, just surprised by how overwhelmingly negative (again, just in quantity) the reaction has been to an episode that just felt, at worst, kind of underwhelming as opposed to actively bad.

• Like 1

SA - "...this is a large oak table that is an antique."

JP - "is this an antique?"

SA - "this is an antique, and it's carved from a giant redwood".

oh scotty...

• Like 3

Loved that plugs theme, did anyone else hear a slight similarity to the cartoon Batman theme from the 90s?

Yeah, just surprised by how overwhelmingly negative (again, just in quantity) the reaction has been to an episode that just felt, at worst, kind of underwhelming as opposed to actively bad.

Maybe we're just spoiled.

• Like 5

Well, here's my theory about what happened with this weird episode. I think Paul's intention with the character was centered around the ISIS thing, but Scott didn't really pick up on that, so Paul was lost. By the time they came back to it (Paul finally brought it up himself), it was pretty much too late.

I agree with this. Drove me crazy when Scott and Jimmy didn't pick up on the ISIS thing the first two times but then Paul deliberately went nowhere with it as if to punish them? Fitch wasn't a great character but Scott bemoaning that fact saved the episode for me.

Also I like Pardo when he's with someone else I like to bounce off of (see: Tony Macaroni). I only dabble in NNF but my recommendation for anyone trying to get into it is skip the first 20-30 minutes of shooting the shit until the guest arrives.

Speaking of bouncing I really loved Paul's previous appearance, so this ep turning out weak was a little disappointing but I think it says more about how stellar the last 6 months of CBB have been than anything else.

I liked this episode apparently a lot more than everybody else. Paul Brittain is up there with Matt Gourley in terms of just having nice soft voices that I like to listen to. If Both of them were on together, and their characters were lepidopterists who spent the whole episode talking about different kinds of butterflies and moths, well that's pretty much my dream episode of Comedy Bang Bang.

• Like 6

I also really enjoyed this episode. I had never heard of Jimmy Pardo before CBB but have become a huge fan of him and his podcast. His appearance on UTU2TM was one of my favorite episodes of any podcast of all time. But I won't belabor my love of Pardo and his chemistry with Scott.

Who knows- maybe Fitch was just a failed character- but for me, Fitch was a well played piece of anti-comedy and 'no-but'ting instead of 'yes-and'ing. Him making the other two jump through hoops until Scott's final meltdown had me laughing my ass off. Like Kickpuncher, I also was a little surprised by the negative reaction on the boards to both Pardo and Fitch, but it has certainly been a lot better back and forth than other divisive Earwolf podcast episodes!

• Like 11

"Who knows- maybe Fitch was just a failed character- but for me, Fitch was a well played piece of anti-comedy and 'no-but'ting instead of 'yes-and'ing. Him making the other two jump through hoops until Scott's final meltdown had me laughing my ass off."

Me too. The response in this thread has been very thatsthejoke.jpg for me. The total refusal to find the game or advance the plot was hilarious and Scott and Pardo trying to do it all from their side made for a good change-of-pace ep. C+.

• Like 6

Loved that plugs theme, did anyone else hear a slight similarity to the cartoon Batman theme from the 90s?

I thought it was more than slight.

I don't know... Scott losing his shit on Fitch was one of my favorite Scott moments of the year, maybe even nudging his defensiveness in Heynong Man from the top spot. It was a bit slow until that part, but listening to the building exasperation from Scott and Jimmy was still pretty good.

• Like 5

Paul provided two characters that just took every chance they got to not be funny or crazy or exciting in any way. I loved it.

People saying they don't care for Pardo, I suggest going to Never Not Funny and listening to some episodes with guests you like. There are around 20 Scott Aukerman episodes if you want something familiar. I had to listen to about 5 episodes before I truly got Jimmy and now he is probably my favorite personality in all of podcasting, at least tied with Scotty.

• Like 5

I think Pardo is one of the most amazing parts of the podcast universe. His treatment of the people on his show is one of the best things going. The '7's' Game makes me so happy.

BTW, I kinda can't wait for that gameshow to start.

• Like 4

Seeing as nobody asked i guess ill give my opinion as well. I like that this show is totally different week to week. I like that Scott can shoot the shit with his buddies when he feels like it and have someone who plays a character with really low stakes. I think the show would kind of burn out if it was the same thing all the time. I love a good, high concept Lapkus/Tompkins/Adomian character as much as the next guy but this show, to me anyway, has always been whatever Scott feels like doing.

Has anyone heard him talk about how much work he puts into the TV show? Its kind of amazing he cranks out one or two of these podcasts a week.

Im summation... I love the show and Paul Brittan is Bob Newhart's nephew. Whoda thunk it?

• Like 2

SA - "...this is a large oak table that is an antique."

JP - "is this an antique?"

SA - "this is an antique, and it's carved from a giant redwood".

oh scotty...

Do you think Scott knows where wood comes from? Now I'm not so sure.

• Like 2

I'm a big Pardo fan but that grew out of his appearances on CBB in the past. Started listening to NNF early in 2015 and was quickly sold on it. That said, you may not be thrilled by Jimmy's appearances on CBB but find his show to be hilarious. He's a lot different when he is the guy and when he is the guest, but I think he is always a great CBB "first guest" or "Co-host".

For example, near the beginning of this one, Jimmy is just flat out funny when discussing banal topics like sending Scott a picture of his kid holding a shirt that says What up Hot Dog even though it just said whats up dog. On his podcast he is playing more of a character, he will let out biting awful insensitive jokes that I find hilarious, and chew the shit out of his crew (which I also find hilarious).

As others have said, give never not funny a try, pick a guest you like hearing. The Scott episodes are great, the TJ miller one recently was great, his show is usually long and very enjoyable. It isn't comedy bang bang, its more just discussing life and a persons jobs, past work, how they got in the business, but theres always funny moments in there.

Skip the first 20-30 minutes which is prebabble to the main show when the guest arrives, but as soon as you like the NNF crew, start listening to the beginning, theres almost always great laughs in there.

I think it was last week's episode had such a great Pardo joke something like this:

Jimmy was at an arena football game telling a story:

Jimmy-So theres a group of Armenian guys in front of us

Matt-Why does it matter that they were Armenian?

Jimmy-Just let me finish! 2 guys with a wife and a kid in front of us, one of them was a nice friendly good guy... and the other guy..... was Armenian!

if you don't find that funny, I dont want to find you

• Like 2

I REALLY like jimmy pardo, but I have just never really gotten into his podcast. I have seen him warming up the Conan crowd a few times and he is great. Every other thing has been earwolf related (UTU2TM, CBB eps, CBB tv show) and he always kills me on those. anyways, perfectly OK episode with some great LOL moments. Like every time Ahmad would be yelling at someone as soon as they unmuted themselves I lost it.