🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

i mean.. the vikings are speaking modern Norwegian, not old norse... :P

While I know they could have used modern Icelandic and been 99% correct, if they had said "Bork bork bork" most Americans would have thought it was old Norse. Och jag talar lite svenska.

• Like 1

Seeing Banderas next to all the vikings made me realize how much of a fucking midget he is.

and the viking he's with the most, is not a very tall guy :P

While I know they could have used modern Icelandic and been 99% correct, if they had said "Bork bork bork" most Americans would have thought it was old Norse. Och jag talar lite svenska.

yeah, Icelandic is much closer, even closer is the language in Faroe Island.

Speaking like some random person from Oslo... is not even close to what the vikings spoke :P

John McTiernan's original version didn't sit well with test audiences, so it went through reshoots when Michael Crichton took over direction, which caused the film to be delayed for over a year, and ended up being one of the biggest flops in box office history.

To be fair though, speaking modern Norwegian is far far closer to old Norse than the English that they switch to once he can understand them.

Oh man we laughed so hard at this movie opening weekend. We were a little stoned, and overly psyched because for some reason we thought it looked AMAZING, so maybe it was the too-high expectations (and maybe the being stoned), but we laughed the whole time. I don't remember much about it, but I'm sure this would make for a great episode.

• Like 1

I have not seen this movie in a while, but I liked that it was one of the first films that I had seen where the Vikings were more complex than just long boat raiders and I liked that. I probably should revisit this movie though.

I did like the scene wheres Banderas is watching them around the fire, and he slowly starts to pick up their language.

From what I remember it was more of a montage where he picked up the language a little at a time and only actually spoke it out loud around the fire.

I have not seen this movie in a while, but I liked that it was one of the first films that I had seen where the Vikings were more complex than just long boat raiders and I liked that. I probably should revisit this movie though.

I also really like it, it's a crappy movie, but i got lots of crappy movies i like.

From what I remember it was more of a montage where he picked up the language a little at a time and only actually spoke it out loud around the fire.

i just appreciated it as an honest attempt as to explaining how Antonio was able to talk with them later, rather than it just being totally at random like most period movies where you'll find french, german soldiers etc. speaking in perfect english with a fancy accent.

Or if they're from the Roman Empire they speak British English.

This movie might be, at the very least, racially insensitive by casting a Spaniard as an Arab, the language thing is inconsistent and makes little sense, and it's not exactly the most cohesive narrative.... but shit, I love this movie. I will support this movie until the day I die. My brothers and I have watched it together at least five times and we always have fun while doing so.

"Have we anything resembling a plan?"

"Ride till we find them... and kill them all."

This movie might be, at the very least, racially insensitive by casting a Spaniard as an Arab

Not as weird when you consider that Banderas comes from a part of Spain that was under Muslim control at the time that this movie takes place. There is a good chance that he has moor blood in him.

• Like 1

This movie might be, at the very least, racially insensitive by casting a Spaniard as an Arab.

All I can think about after reading this is that scene from Silicon Valley where Erlich and Dinesh are talking about how he got mistaken for being mexican.

Also cannot help but think of this guy, who has played every ethnicity at some point or another.

cliff_zpsnkoltyc2.jpg

• Like 2

For some reason, this topic only appears if you capitalize "Warrior". Anyways, my hearty endorsement.

I will go on the record and disagree with previous stated opinions: Antonio Banderas is terrible in this movie. He truly mailed it in. Changing directors midstream will probably do that to you.

I just wanted to bump this to say that The 13th Warrior is a goddamn 100% accurate representation of actual events compared to the piece of dog shit that is Pathfinder.

• Like 1