🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 134 — Prop Meat

On the last episode of Nerd Poker, the gang rode the magic rug for a while and got really close to the blip. Now we join them as they continue on their magic rug journey awaiting to see what may lie before them.

Did we do it? Did we finally learn the mysterious identiy of the wheelchair self-fellatio maestro?

Since it was brought up in today's episode, I just wanted to put my two cents in regarding the Jabba scene in A New Hope. The biggest problem I have with it is that it is almost identical to the Greedo scene. It doesn't serve any purpose whatsoever! Even the the exchange "..smugglers who drop their shipments at the first sight of an Imperial cruiser," "Even I get boarded sometimes" is almost word for word in both scenes.

My suspicion, and I don't really know for sure, is that the Jabba scene was actually filmed first, but 70's Lucas made the correct decision to leave Jabba as a shadowy, looming threat. In other words, a gangster so powerful he doesn't need to do his own dirty work. What's also crazy is, by putting this scene in the movie, not only does it not give us any additional information, it actually undermines everything Greedo just told us about Jabba. He tells Han that Jabba has put a bounty on his head and, best case scenario, maybe he'll just take his ship, but the next time we see Han, Jabba is totally cool! He's super cordial and makes a pretty reasonable deal with Han considering the situation.

I mean, if both scenes were originally meant to be played as they are in the special addition, maybe they were meant to be humorous(?), but we all know how well Lucas does with "funny." To repeat the "drop cargo line twice" could be a call back to Han's conversation with Greedo, but that doesn't really work, because it is just calling back a line that was just spoken. I guess the alternative is that it could have been an attempt at a runner, but after this scene it's never brought up again, so that doesn't work either.

God that scene is dumb!

• Like 1

This episode was like.. uhh.. a strange, uhh uhh weird kinda glowy strangely neon.. uhh pulsing.. weird uhhh sphere-type kinda thing.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this