🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 114 — Runaway

Based on the trailer, it just feels like a bummer. I want my Harley to be delightfully deranged, not depressingly deranged. And Will Smith sticks out like a sore thumb. He's just not the type of actor who can disappear into a role.

At least he's not gonna pull a Stallone in Judge Dredd and refuse to wear the mask (which is how it looked when they showed the first publicity photos). But I totally cringed when he said, "We're some kind of Suicide Squad" in the trailer. If you put the name of your movie in dialogue in the trailer, I'm just going to assume the rest of your writing is shitty and sloppy, too.

• Like 4

Honestly, since we're talking about Suicide Squad now, all I want from that movie is 2 hours of Harley beating the shit out of Joker. Then she runs off with Ivy in the end and they live happily ever after.

I really want to photoshop this into the poster for Bound

• Like 3

harley_quinn_y_poison_ivy_by_manawua-d158uw3.jpg

I'm very sad that Harley is not the version we will ever get either. The Animated Series was perfect, she was perfect, that costume was perfect, and fuck everyone for ever messing with it.

I JUST LOVE HARLEY SO MUCH Y'ALL

tumblr_lxo7eskbin1r4etbjo2_500.gif

• Like 4

At least he's not gonna pull a Stallone in Judge Dredd and refuse to wear the mask (which is how it looked when they showed the first publicity photos). But I totally cringed when he said, "We're some kind of Suicide Squad" in the trailer. If you put the name of your movie in dialogue in the trailer, I'm just going to assume the rest of your writing is shitty and sloppy, too.

There's a cut scene where Deadshot looks Killer Croc up and down, exclaims "Welcome to Earf" and then punches him in the face.

• Like 3

All I know is that Suicide Squad looks so much more interesting to me than Grumpyman vs Jesusman: Birth of a Cinematic Universe.

• Like 3

100 Bullets would be perfect as an HBO series. I don't know where Vertigo comics fall under DC anymore, I'm sure there is some kind of complicated rights deal in place for TV and movie adaptions. In a perfect world I'd like to see Quentin Tarantino start the series off, like Martin Scorsese did with Boardwalk Empire, to set the tone. Ah well a man can dream.

It's still under DC, there was even a brief Batman/100 Bullets crossover during one of Brian Azzarello's Batman stories (Broken City) where Crispus Allen runs into Agent Graves. Last I heard they were in the process of getting the show made on Showtime, which would be perfect with shows like Ray Donovan there as well. Unfortunately I don't think Clint Eastwood is acting anymore as he would be a perfect Graves, Jared Leto would actually play a great Benito Medici, and Charlize Theron is the only actress who could play Megan Dietrich, especially after Mad Max.

After hearing almost all of the mini-episode and the description Paul gives and the mentioning of Gene Simmons, I had no idea what this movie was. Not that I doubted the full ep would be good of course (they all are). It wasn't until nearly the LAST sentence of the mini-ep, when Paul says that it stars Tom Selleck that I had an instant flashback to my childhood. What!?! So I watched the trailer on IMDB and, oh yeah!, I remember this movie! The crazy spider-robots and self-guided bullets? The final scene up on a building under construction that for some reason is only comprised of structural steel and functional elevators? The great mustache? OMG, I KNOW THIS MOVIE!

Hey, TaylorAnnePhoto, I was just poking around on the wikipedia page for this movie, and I noticed that the character "Hooker at Bar" was played by Anne-Marie Martin, who married Michael Crichton a few years later. And they had one child, a daughter named Taylor-Anne.

Based on your stated location, I'm guessing that's not you, but how's that for a crazy coincidence?

Someone pointed me to this scathing clip of Paul Stanley reading from his audio book where he says that Gene traded some backup vocals from a movie producer's children for a role in a movie and that he saw one of Gene's movie and it was "embarrassing" (about 14 minutes in). I'm just assuming that this all applies to Runaway.

I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Someone pointed me to this scathing clip of Paul Stanley reading from his audio book where he says that Gene traded some backup vocals from a movie producer's children for a role in a movie and that he saw one of Gene's movie and it was "embarrassing" (about 14 minutes in). I'm just assuming that this all applies to Runaway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqn9FxlPPgE

I thought some of you might find it interesting.

Is KISS a band that now basically only work together for a concert or cameo in a movie but otherwise absolutely hate each other? I know Simmons and Stanley appeared in Why Him? but that could have been just for the quick paycheck. I find it odd how these performers can absolutely despise one another yet and want to kill each other but at the same pace drop everything to put together an album/movie/radio show together. The members of Aerosmith apparently couldn't stand each other so much at one point that when they made their "Just Push Play" album, they recorded separately from one another and didn't actually perform the songs as group until they were on tour for the album. Then a couple years ago the Opie and Anthony radio show ended when Anthony got fired and all of a sudden every skeleton in their closets came out and the two had apparently hated each other for 75% of their careers together. I just can't imagine being in a toxic partnership like that for a career.

It's funny, re-listening to this episode after the new Westworld TV show came out made me think of Runaway in the context of the original Westworld movie. Crichton did a movie about a sci-fi amusement park gone awry with robots. He then did another movie focusing on just the robot aspect of that, and it bombed. So then later he went back to the sci-fu amusement park gone awry and did Jurassic Park. If Runaway did well, I wonder if he would have ever gone back to that well and done Jurassic Park.