🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 114 — Runaway

During the hostage scene, the baby's room has a window in it.

So why didn't Ramsey just peer through it and if robot isn't there, sneak in and get the baby and then dive right out!

Also the sound emitted by the revolver is clearly a pump shotgun!

And if Luther gave the gun to the robot, why did it bother stabbing the two women in the first place.

- Pete Scudese (SKA-DEE-CEE)

PS: I made my web site via Squarespace and using a HDTGM code! Thanks... www.PeteScudese.com

The music during the corn field scene is trying to tell the viewer that this is intense; it's not.

Yeah then they had Tom Selleck and the lady cop look at eachother and simulataneously cartoon pounce onto the robot. That whole scene was confusing.

As a side note, this was a great ep! I am surprised, however, by the lack of discussion on Tom Selleck's kid. He was absolutely BANANAS.

• Like 1

"These robots are, like, Zumbas?"

"They do a bunch of dance exercise routines?"

"Sure, why not?"

"OK, then."

• Like 2

So both Ramsey and Thompson never check or run Kirstie Alley's purse through the damn bug detector?!

Ramsey wouldn't let a friendly co-worker touch the hood of his car he was so concerned a bug would be transferred.

And Alley knew her life was in danger because she knew the bug was in her purse. When they knew they were still being tracked, she looked at her purse knowingly. Dammit woman! If you are so concerned about being found or killed... get rid of the damn bug you dum-dum!

• Like 1

"I don't recall ever owning any medical robots." - Obi-wan P. I.

• Like 2

I get that they want to deposit that each person has a different heat signal, but at no time do they bother explaining how the bullets find you. Based on the prior shoot outs (especially at the hotel,) the bullet will just hit whatever it is shot near at and will find you. So then when at the restaurant, that bullet should have hit either Ramsey or at least a patron near by. But it doesn't it hits a god damn table!

So this point was touched on in the episode, but why the hell was Ramsay the one who removed that explosive bullet from Thompson's arm. I'll accept that he doesn't trust an older model of a robot designed to disarm things, but there were already at least two paramedics at the scene who have to be better qualified for that job. Surely a surgeon or bomb squad member is only a phone call away as well.

Also, that audio only, replay of that scene was amazing.

• Like 2

Michael Crichton didn't care about one of the main characters... The Robots!

Michael Crichton later said in a Washington Post article:

Runaway has a technological presence, but if you're a real gadgeteer, you won't like the movie much. I'm bored with special effects. When they were doing the robot photographs for this, I used to go and make phone calls. The little machines can be very distracting and I've tried to keep them in the background. But people like the little gadgets and I can't help it... It's a very noise movie. Lots to listen to... It's a nice looking future, no neo-Nazis, no Big Brother, no hideosity, no grime.

At the waterfall by the restaurant, why didn't Luther fire on Ramsey and the two other cops? He could have retrieved the templates right there.

At one point in the police station there is an announcement that "The 5th annual costume ball go on sale this Friday."

What?!

• Like 2

I feel like I need to say something about the most unnecessary death in the movie. Poor Sally.

So Ramsay walks down a hallway, with at least a dozen cops, and busts into the hospital toilets. When he sees there is no sign of Luther, Sally is called in to sweep for the bug Ramsay planted. Sally uses a sensor, attached to a case, that is the same size as most of the robots in this movie. Why wasn't that a fucking robot?! Stick some wheels and a claw on it and wha-la! you have yourself a fucking bug detecting robot and Sally doesn't have her head injected with acid and a robot spider explode on her face.

R.I.P Sally.

Edited by MacSmashington
  • Like 6

and finally this moment... they mentioned it in the ep but i thought it was just ramsey showing off for jackie, like a kid on a school yard.

if you havent seen the movie try and find this scene cause the noises selleck makes are hilarious

25spdol.jpg

• Like 9

I feel like I need to say something about the most unnecessary death the movie. Poor Sally.

So Ramsay walks down a hallway, with at least a dozen cops, and busts into the hospital toilets. When he sees there is no sign of Luther, Sally is called in to sweep for the bug Ramsay planted. Sally is carrying a case, the same size as most of the robots in this movie. Why wasn't that a fucking robot?! Stick some wheels and a claw on it and wha-la! you have yourself a fucking bug detecting robot and Sally doesn't have her head injected with acid and a robot spider explode on her face.

R.I.P Sally.

i thought when she asked the other cop to close the door and keep look out she was gona use the toilet .... we could have had another death on the toilet bowl scene like SLEEPAWAY CAMP ... missed opportunity there

• Like 1

Didn't Paul say in the minisode that this week would be delayed? I totally didn't even check this morning because I was sure it wouldn't be on. Oh well. At least I have something to do at work today.

Also, Caramel's fiancée is the guest this week. Awesome!

• Like 2

Didn't Paul say in the minisode that this week would be delayed? I totally didn't even check this morning because I was sure it wouldn't be on. Oh well. At least I have something to do at work today.

Also, Caramel's fiancée is the guest this week. Awesome!

Rhea was great! She was the perfect guest for this movie.

Did anyone else notice that when Ramsay brings Thompson home for the first time there was a box of C-3PO's cereal on the counter?

I know that this movie takes place at an unspecified point in the future, but those were taken off the market in 1984 (or thereabouts). Throw that stuff away, it's got to be stale as shit!

Sorry, I can't get a screen cap of it, but I can provide this:

50_5271_ucp.jpg

• Like 5

*Correction*

Kirstie Alley did not reprise her role of Saavik in Star Trek III: The Search For Spock. Robin Curtis has the distinction of replacing her. Kirstie Alley wanted more money, but was denied, so I guess she opted to do this movie instead.

• Like 1

What a happy surprise to see this in my Podcast feed after Paul said it might be delayed!

Halfway through and loving it. Jason seems giddy, I'm curious to hear whether or not he'd recommend it...

but... I thought it was going to be late so I haven't watched it yet :(

this is the first time I've ever been upset that an episode was released on time lol.

The second opinions for this movie were so odd. I kind of want to go defend "whatshername's" honor. I bet she could tell us some stories about why Billy Bobson didn't make it to five months. He was more interested in Gene Simmons than her. Something creepy happened. I just know it.

Call me, whatshername, I want to know the details!

I'm just stopping in to say it's great to see photos again, I don't know why this pleases me, it just did, maybe because I now get to ask "What's up with Paul's eye?".

I pointed this out in the mini-ep, but I wanted to reiterate that the actor that played Bobby would go on to interact with another robot in his next role Flight of the Navigator

tumblr_inline_mqmpyxBrtG1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 5

Just stopped by to ask if anyone is watching the UK show "Humans"? It's on Channel 4 over here and AMC I think in the US. It's only just started and sounds like a decent version of Runaway.

I believe it's a remake of a Swedish TV show Real Humans