🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 114 — Runaway

all this talk of "this island earth" and mystery science theater 3000 is making this movie even funnier. This is a show made in 1988, on public access, for almost no money, with robots intended to look like crap, and yet they are a million times better than anything in this movie. they should have gotten joel hodgson to do the damn robots, it would have cost less and at least could have had some camp value, instead of being overly serious towards the least threatening robots in history.

• Like 1

You're being treated like you're the Jim Carrey riddler.

I know, right? Boooooo!!!

a9fd9bf69847833b07f59f7bd7912a77.gif

• Like 5

i think adam pally learned his asian accent from the sushi robot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y-8zbQU7f8

OMG, the squinty eyes. Racist neon sign!

California roll sucks. Sushi is so commonplace nowadays that you can get them in any ol' grocery stores. But I wonder in 1984 if sushi was something still very exotic. I wonder if the the audience were supposed to think wow in the future you could get sushi so easily and that Ramsay was Mr. Sophisticated for ordering California roll.

• Like 3

California roll sucks. Sushi is so commonplace nowadays that you can get them in any ol' grocery stores. But I wonder in 1984 if sushi was something still very exotic. I wonder if the the audience were supposed to think wow in the future you could get sushi so easily and that Ramsay was Mr. Sophisticated for ordering California roll.

According to Wikipedia, California rolls became popular across the US in the 80s. But I don't remember sushi really blowing up until the late 90s/early 00s. But then again, that's also about the time I became an adult, and I had grown up in a household that wasn't very adventurous with any sort ethnic food. So maybe I just became more aware of it then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_roll

• Like 1

Wow this movie is so ahead of it's time, I would say the California Sushi roll movement started in the 1980s with movies like

. that's when I first remember seeing it for the first time. That and later Repo man, with the punks going on a

Now 2015 we can print our own Sushi with our very own

coming to a late night tv infomercial real soon, just set it and forget it. wounder if you can print your own tums along with that. Yum

Hey anyone remember SCTV with the Tubes song sushi.

• Like 1

A couple of days ago I finally watched Rhinestone and one of the things I remember is that Stallone offers to take his Japanese passengers to a sushi restaurant. That movie also takes place in 1984. It was probably seen as something like a "raw fish? that sounds gross" punchline at that point.

• Like 2

Well not to get super nerdy and technical, but a 404 doesn't necessarily mean a communication error between the client and server... it really more means that the communication yielded an unexpected return in the form of missing content; the content was not available at the end point (either via misconfiguration on the server or a faulty address sent by the client). This is why when you hit some websites and get a 404, they will display specialized pages for that (like Bernie Sander's campaign page's 404 message). 500 error codes are usually reserved for client/server communication errors. If you get a 500 from a website, you aren't getting jack shit back.

Thanks for the extra info, I took some computer science courses but admittedly am not a scientist. Most of my info came from a quick wiki search. I originally thought the room number was a nerd joke that was passed over on the podcast. But when I checked the timeline it doesn't really fit. Is there any other thing that the 404 could be referencing?

According to Wikipedia, California rolls became popular across the US in the 80s. But I don't remember sushi really blowing up until the late 90s/early 00s. But then again, that's also about the time I became an adult, and I had grown up in a household that wasn't very adventurous with any sort ethnic food. So maybe I just became more aware of it then.

https://en.wikipedia...California_roll

From the wiki about California roll, "In some countries it is made with mango or banana instead of avocado." Those countries are currently under investigation by the U.N. for crimes against humanity.

Your post reminded me of minisode 96.5, in which the gang talked about their food histories (starting at 30:50). June and Jason didn't have sushi until they were in college.

Now 2015 we can print our own Sushi with our very own sushi machine coming to a late night tv infomercial real soon, just set it and forget it.

That machine is making, you guessed it, California rolls!

A couple of days ago I finally watched Rhinestone and one of the things I remember is that Stallone offers to take his Japanese passengers to a sushi restaurant. That movie also takes place in 1984. It was probably seen as something like a "raw fish? that sounds gross" punchline at that point.

Oh Stallone compared eating raw fish to "walking across a field and chewing on a cow." I guess he's not a fan of steak tartare either.

• Like 4

From the wiki about California roll, "In some countries it is made with mango or banana instead of avocado." Those countries are currently under investigation by the U.N. for crimes against humanity.

I love avocado, but I'd be interested to try it with mango. This place I used to go to before I moved to Austin had these lobster mango rolls which were basically the best thing ever.

Your post reminded me of minisode 96.5, in which the gang talked about their food histories (starting at 30:50). June and Jason didn't have sushi until they were in college.

I'll have to go listen to that now! I didn't discover most of the food I love now (e.g., sushi, Mediterranean, Indian) until I was in my early 20s. Fortunately, I've always lived in Texas, so at least I was raised on good Tex-Mex.

• Like 1

tumblr_mf1ggsfWSX1rbrja2.gif

Phew, I'm so happy we've gotten past all these ridiculously silly super villains in our comic book movies. It used to be so painful...

9e38870ee98f3f86533228f54091b7a3.gif

:mellow:

• Like 3

That episode was a couple months before I really got into HDTGM, so I didn't listen to most of the minisodes when I was going back and catching up on all the previous episodes. I really wish they could do more minisodes with all three of them. I know scheduling that would be a nightmare, since it's sometimes hard to get them all together for a regular episode. But that was totally delightful, and I love hearing them just talk about random shit.

• Like 1

I love avocado, but I'd be interested to try it with mango. This place I used to go to before I moved to Austin had these lobster mango rolls which were basically the best thing ever.

I like avocado and mango! But I don't like soft creamy stuff like avocado and cream cheese in sushi and I also don't like fruits in savory dishes. I'm in despair over the salads in restaurants. Half of the salads have fruits in them and the other half are cobb salad.

Phew, I'm so happy we've gotten past all these ridiculously silly super villains in our comic book movies. It used to be so painful...

9e38870ee98f3f86533228f54091b7a3.gif

:mellow:

He still looks better than fucking Harley Cyrus.

• Like 2

I'll have to go listen to that now! I didn't discover most of the food I love now (e.g., sushi, Mediterranean, Indian) until I was in my early 20s. Fortunately, I've always lived in Texas, so at least I was raised on good Tex-Mex.

it seems like a lot of people on this forum are from texas. is there something behind that, or is it coincidence?

i mean its texas, so i'm just going to take a stab and say it's a big conspiracy to secede and make paul your new president, with june as secretary of state, and zouks as secretary of defense.

• Like 3

it seems like a lot of people on this forum are from texas. is there something behind that, or is it coincidence?

i mean its texas, so i'm just going to take a stab and say it's a big conspiracy to secede and make paul your new president, with june as secretary of state, and zouks as secretary of defense.

Well, guys, we've been found out. Guess we gotta eliminate sixgunbuddyguy....

Unless he can be bought in tacos.

• Like 4

Seems odd you left out vice-president...

Are you lobbying for the position, sixgunbuddy? If so, I'd like to hear your platform. I'll also have to insist on seeing your birth certificate

• Like 2

stupid double post...

I promise to post something HILARIOUS later

1341852283317728872.jpg

Ta-da!

• Like 7

Well, guys, we've been found out. Guess we gotta eliminate sixgunbuddyguy....

Unless he can be bought in tacos.

Are you lobbying for the position, sixgunbuddy? If so, I'd like to hear your platform. I'll also have to insist on seeing your birth certificate

i originally left out vice president because, well, we all know they don't do anything, but now i think a plan is coming together...

i won't spill the beans if i get to be VP and sit around all day eating unlimited tacos!

• Like 4

Why are you so interested in the Cabinet of the Republic of Texas, Cameron? And so knowledgeable about our laws? It is true that in order to be a government official in the RoT, the candidate will have to produce a birth certificate, to prove that he's a native Texan and a direct descendant of the Old Three Hundred. Either you are a secret Texan or an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. No other explanations possible or entertained.

• Like 4

Clearly they would get a guest VP every other week.

• Like 6

Why are you so interested in the Cabinet of the Republic of Texas, Cameron? And so knowledgeable about our laws? It is true that in order to be a government official in the RoT, the candidate will have to produce a birth certificate, to prove that he's a native Texan and a direct descendant of the Old Three Hundred. Either you are a secret Texan or an agent of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. No other explanations possible or entertained.

b8e9683a01665997c7be28b569519aed.gif

Meae rationes meae propriae

• Like 3

He still looks better than fucking Harley Cyrus.

But that is from the comic/video game portrayals of Harley now, while the Leto Joker is a mix of various Alan Moore/Frank Miller/Grant Morrison Jokers.

• Like 2

But that is from the comic/video game portrayals of Harley now, while the Leto Joker is a mix of various Alan Moore/Frank Miller/Grant Morrison Jokers.

People keep saying this about Harley, but it's not really the case. They borrowed the hotpants/belt from the New 52 Harley (replacing her gunbelt with a ridiculous studded belt). Then they borrowed her hair from the Arkham. Everything else (i.e. - all the parts that look shitty) is a new design. The tattoos? New design. The ridiculous "Puddin" choker? New design. Basically everything else that looks like she went hogwild at Hot Topic? Totally new design. And it's awful.

Joker is a somewhat mix of a few different Jokers. And I actually like most of what I've seen from him except for that fucking grill. They seem to have ditched the face tattoos after the backlash, so I'm largely okay with him....except for the fact that Joker has no business in a Suicide Squad movie.

• Like 2