🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 114 — Runaway

There are some version of Harley, mainly in her solo series, where she has the tattoos featuring card suits but it's fairly recent. And depending on the artist there have been times where she has the various kitchy clothing taglines, usually in variant covers. As for the Joker, I have read online the main rumor about the teeth is he got them knocked out by Batman after the death of Robin, which would make sense. As for him being in the movie it works as he played a pretty big role, especially concerning Harley, in the New 52 Suicide Squad, especially the Death of the Family story arc where he basically reveals that she hasn't been the only Harley he's ever had. Also from the trailer it makes it seem like the Joker is mostly in flashbacks establishing Harley's origin, and then maybe as the big bad at the end of the movie, if that's the case it will work very well. I also got the feeling that Amanda Waller had originally had the Joker in the team but he was too uncontrollable for her, hence the "I put him in a hole and then threw away the hole" line.

• Like 3

i never read any of the comics growing up (but i loved the batman animated series) so i am probably way off here but id reckon once all the back stories are developed the squad will be set on the joker and harley will have to make a decision whether to betray them or not. i also think the joker is gona turn up at the end of batman vs superman (a common enemy kinda thing) and this film will take place either parallel or just after.

i think she looks great. they all do. really looking forward to it. i loved the reference to superman at the start and the little glimpse of batman .. next year is gona be a biggie ... really like the darkness of the DC universe.... id love a proper R rated film with the Joker in it ..

• Like 4

i don't want to get too into this suicide squad and further derail whatever was left of this thread, but i'm just gonna leave this here...

Does anyone really have anything else to say about Runaway? I considered writing how stupid it is that the computer panel for the elevator is underneath it and how incredibly inconvenient that would be, but fuck it, I'm bored of Runaway. If you guys want to talk Suicide Squad, let's do it.

Of the two, I was more intrigued by Suicide Squad than Batman V Superman, especially after hating Man of Steel as much as I did, but after watching the two trailers, I've completely flipped my opinions. In my opinion, Suicide Squad looks like ass (Will Smith is just a big fat "no," in my opinion) and now Batman V Superman looks more interesting. Neither Gadot nor Affleck look as bad as I feared they would--although the jury's still out for me on Eisenberg's Luthor.

• Like 3

I've never been a super-huge Joker fan. Mr. Freeze was always my guy. Well, Burgess Meredith's Penguin first. Then Mr. Freeze.

• Like 2

Does anyone really have anything else to say about Runaway? I considered writing how stupid it is that the computer panel for the elevator is underneath the it and how incredibly inconvenient that would be, but fuck it, I'm bored of Runaway. If you guys want to talk Suicide Squad, let's do it.

Of the two, I was more intrigued by Suicide Squad than Batman V Superman, especially after hating Man of Steel as much as I did, but after watching the two trailers, I've completely flipped my opinions. In my opinion, Suicide Squad looks like ass (Will Smith is just a big fat "no," in my opinion) and now Batman V Superman looks more interesting. Neither Gadot nor Affleck look as bad as I feared they would--although the jury's still out for me on Eisenberg's Luthor.

well, screw it, it's happening now. I haven't seen man of steel though I plan to, but I don't have high hopes. Zack Snyder is all visual and no substance, and even his visuals aren't very original. I am a bit interested in Bats vers Supes, and even a bit in Suicide Squad if people can shut the fuck up about joker (seriously, see previous video), but people are really going way too crazy over everything. Even if SS is a legitimately good movie, it's not like it's going to be the greatest comic book movie ever. I just don't see it.

• Like 4

Took forever to listen to the whole episode due to things, but to touch on June's point in the opening about the robots being made by private companies and why are tax dollars being spent on tech support, but my question is, why haven't these companies that make defective and potential homicidal robots been shut down by civil suits?

• Like 1

Looking forward to both as I liked Man of Steel and am intrigued by what was in the trailer, though I'm not fond of the idea of DC cramming a bunch of heroes into this movie to shotgun towards the Justice League movie. Suicide Squad I can't wait to see as I loved the most recent series and it looks like they got the tone of it correct. My one issue with it is Smith and how he tends to overpower movies, and from what I've seen so far, it looks like he rarely wears the Deadshot helmet, seemingly wanting his face to be on screen as much as possible. What's worse is I feel that he took this role solely to be the intended focal point of the movie since most of the cast are either character actors or newer actors without as big a name value as himself.

• Like 2

I think the idea behind a villain-centric movie is great, but Suicide Squad looks like a hot mess to me. The costumes alone are probably enough for me not to see it and I can't find anything in that trailer that looks visually interesting. Do we really need to see Killer Croc on the big sceen?

As an Australian, I am happy to see an Aussie cast as an Australian character (even though it's Jai Courtney). Margot Robbie seems like a good choice for Harley, but it looks like they're going all out on the goth cheerleader vibe from the Arkham games, doesn't look like she will be too much fun, which is a shame.

Deadshot's story looks like it might be "The Pursuit of Happiness" with guns. Thats a real bummer.

Also, why go straight back to the Joker well? Batman has a pretty deep rouges gallery, we haven't seen Mr. Freeze since Arnie had pun tourette's in Batman & Robin. It would be interesting seeing him fight other villains. Poison Ivy and Harley have an interesting dynamic in alot of comics as well.

• Like 2

Problem is that Joker is the only villain that DC has hit it out of the park with every time they put him on screen in whatever medium and he's as iconic or more than Batman. Freeze left a bad taste in people's mouths, same for Ivy though I could see them bringing her back if this is successful to bring up that relationship with Harley. Deadshot's story is kinda Pursuit of Happyness in that he's trying to do right by his daughter, but he kills people rather than try and climb the corporate ladder.

Sidenote from seeing Milo Garrett as your avatar: If DC is looking to make dark adaptations, they need to get off their asses and do 100 Bullets on either HBO or Showtime, that series was amazing.

• Like 2

100 Bullets would be perfect as an HBO series. I don't know where Vertigo comics fall under DC anymore, I'm sure there is some kind of complicated rights deal in place for TV and movie adaptions. In a perfect world I'd like to see Quentin Tarantino start the series off, like Martin Scorsese did with Boardwalk Empire, to set the tone. Ah well a man can dream.

• Like 2

Was I the only person who was put off by the scene of Ramsey and his son in the sons bedroom while he's being put to bed. The actors must have broke and the director decided to stay with that cut for some odd reason. The two of them laughing was upsetting.

Edited by rumbaugh
  • Like 1

Britishers, this is on "Movies4Men" channel (freeview) tonight at 10:45pm!

• Like 1

Joker is probably the biggest problem I have with Suicide Squad. He was in just a couple of issues right at the New 52 launch to set up Harley's backstory. That's two out of over 100 issues. As a DC fanboy, it's painful to watch them be so lazy and just fall back on Batman/Joker because they're too scared to actually try anything new. And that's part of why Marvel's Cinematic Universe is destroying DC's right now.

They have to shoehorn Batman in to basically everything instead of giving their own characters time to grow organically. I really feel like they threw together Suicide Squad simply because Marvel killed it with Guardians (Suicide Squad was in development hell for five years until last September...right after Guardians destroyed at the box office). The problem is that they aren't confident with their writing or with the post-Dark Knight Trilogy world they are trying to create, so they have to go back to their Batcrutch to make it happen.

• Like 3

Was I the only person who was put off by the scene of Ramsey and his son in the sons bedroom while he's being put to bed. The actors must have broke and the director decided to stay with that cut for some odd reason. The two of them laughing was upsetting.

Totally with you on that one. That laughing was very uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Joker is probably the biggest problem I have with Suicide Squad. He was in just a couple of issues right at the New 52 launch to set up Harley's backstory. That's two out of over 100 issues. As a DC fanboy, it's painful to watch them be so lazy and just fall back on Batman/Joker because they're too scared to actually try anything new. And that's part of why Marvel's Cinematic Universe is destroying DC's right now.

They have to shoehorn Batman in to basically everything instead of giving their own characters time to grow organically. I really feel like they threw together Suicide Squad simply because Marvel killed it with Guardians (Suicide Squad was in development hell for five years until last September...right after Guardians destroyed at the box office). The problem is that they aren't confident with their writing or with the post-Dark Knight Trilogy world they are trying to create, so they have to go back to their Batcrutch to make it happen.

Yeah I was shocked that Batman was even going to be in Suicide Squad, even if it's just flashbacks, it seems way too much if they're supposed to be talking about Harley's story. I guess it also depends on what it ends up being in the final cut, it could be just a few flashes of him chasing/capturing her and Joker? I think what I'm most interested in through all of this is Affleck writing/directing/starring in his own standalone Batman movie, hopefully without Joker, and with maybe Poison Ivy please? Solomon Grundy? perhaps even...Firefly?

• Like 3

... am I the only one who thinks the husband killed his wife and her sister in the beginning and blamed it on the robot because that machine wasn't even knee high but apparently sliced up two people enough to where they both bled out?

Thank you!

I thought it was just me. The way the husband freaked out and ran away (why didn't the police go after him?) when Selleck questioned him, he should have been the prime suspect. There's no way that robot could have stabbed two people to death; it was like two feet off the ground!

• Like 2

Britishers, this is on "Movies4Men" channel (freeview) tonight at 10:45pm!

LOL at the network's name. Movies4Men!

• Like 1

LOL at the network's name. Movies4Men!

Of course it's for men. It has Kirstey Alley, she's very attractive.

• Like 5

I'm not going through 11 pages of thread (much of which appears to be a Joker discussion), so forgive me if anything I say is redundant.

It just absolutely kills me that this movie sets itself up with Ramsay, a cop whose specialty is to track down malfunctioning robots and deactivate them. Suddenly it comes to his attention that there's a man creating chips that alter robot programming to make them lethal weapons. So obviously, the plot of the movie from there on out is about this cop chasing a human who shoots heat-seeking bullets. Wait...what?!

Even the title suggests this should be about him fighting robots, which it rarely is. "Runaway" is what they call malfunctioning robots, so why isn't the film about a malfunctioning robot? The movie even sets up that this could be the case. In the scene where Selleck is putting his son to bed, the son asks him if Lois could ever go crazy and hurt them. Selleck says no, but then has a moment where he eyes Lois suspiciously. I thought FOR SURE this was foreshadowing. Nope. I thought when Gene Simmons figured out where Selleck lived, he would FOR SURE put a killer chip inside Lois. Nope. No runaways here.

And that's my next issue with the title. If the movie isn't about a robot that's malfunctioning, perhaps the title doesn't refer to a robot. Maybe "Runaway" refers to Ramsay. While he may not be a Runaway in the literal sense of being a malfunctioning robot, he is, in fact, malfunctioning and unable to perform his duties because of his fear of heights. At the end of the film, rather than fixing a broken machine, he has to fix his own broken psyche. RAMSAY is the Runaway.

• Like 1

Honestly, since we're talking about Suicide Squad now, all I want from that movie is 2 hours of Harley beating the shit out of Joker. Then she runs off with Ivy in the end and they live happily ever after.

• Like 5

Honestly, since we're talking about Suicide Squad now, all I want from that movie is 2 hours of Harley beating the shit out of Joker. Then she runs of with Ivy in the end and they live happily ever after.

I'd be 100% on board for your movie, but I can already tell that's not the movie we're going to get. I feel it's going to be a "Girl was in a bad relationship, thinks about getting back with her ex, but finds strength in herself with the help of her new superfriends" movie. It will then end with them all walking slo-mo, shoulder to shoulder, toward the camera and looking "badass."

Based on the trailer, it just feels like a bummer. I want my Harley to be delightfully deranged, not depressingly deranged. And Will Smith sticks out like a sore thumb. He's just not the type of actor who can disappear into a role.

Oh well, I'll reserve judgement for now, but DC has not had the best track record for me, so I am not hopeful.

Until then, I'll dream of your movie:

harley_quinn_y_poison_ivy_by_manawua-d158uw3.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah I was shocked that Batman was even going to be in Suicide Squad, even if it's just flashbacks, it seems way too much if they're supposed to be talking about Harley's story. I guess it also depends on what it ends up being in the final cut, it could be just a few flashes of him chasing/capturing her and Joker? I think what I'm most interested in through all of this is Affleck writing/directing/starring in his own standalone Batman movie, hopefully without Joker, and with maybe Poison Ivy please? Solomon Grundy? perhaps even...Firefly?

Is it too much to ask for Mad Hatter?

• Like 2