🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 114.5 — Minisode 114.5

Hey guys, just spent the week drinking fruity rum drinks and cos-playing as Jimmy Buffett (i.e. writing shitty mystery novels and selling overpriced cheeseburgers).

I've got to say--reading through the forums--I feel like my week at the beach my have been slightly more rewarding than watching Sharknado 3, but I'll let you all decide if you think I need to go ahead and watch it before the episode comes out. Just remember, I had a fantastic time at the beach and I would hate for all the surplus chill-age I've just acquired to be squandered on an infuriating movie.

You were sure to save your margaritas when the pteranodons attacked? (Minor Jurrasic World spoiler...)

Also, that signature. I hope it was everything taylorannephoto hoped it would be.

• Like 3

I'm now on vacation and I decided to kick things off with Sharknado 3. It was boring, and I didn't get half the cameos.

The problem is also why nothing Tommy Wiseau has done since "The Room" works. Once people know their terrible movies are being laughed at, they decide that everything they do will be comedy and try to make things funny. This kills the fun and humor because they don't actually know how to be funny or why exactly people were enjoying it.

• Like 5

I'm now on vacation and I decided to kick things off with Sharknado 3. It was boring, and I didn't get half the cameos.

The problem is also why nothing Tommy Wiseau has done since "The Room" works. Once people know their terrible movies are being laughed at, they decide that everything they do will be comedy and try to make things funny. This kills the fun and humor because they don't actually know how to be funny or why exactly people were enjoying it.

You said it right there: "The Room" worked because it DIDN'T work. As is the case with a lot of great terrible movies, the filmmakers are awful at what they do, which leads to unintentional greatness. Once they become self-aware, they try to replicate that and it fails. Why? Even though they created something that people enjoy, it was for reasons they hadn't intended, and they're still terrible at what they do.

Edit: Whoops, sorry, I originally read that as a question, which you would have answered anyway. D'oh!

I've got to say--reading through the forums--I feel like my week at the beach my have been slightly more rewarding than watching Sharknado 3, but I'll let you all decide if you think I need to go ahead and watch it before the episode comes out. Just remember, I had a fantastic time at the beach and I would hate for all the surplus chill-age I've just acquired to be squandered on an infuriating movie.

You need to save your chill-age, Cam H., especially coming off of Isla Nublar. I don't feel that watching Sharknado 1 and 2 added to my experience of listening to the podcast. I could've saved myself the ordeal and got by with just reviews and GIFs. I doubt it's going to be different with S3. The only vaguely interesting part of S3 was George R.R. Martin's cameo, and only because I get the sense that the people involved with the movie thought it was clever but it just comes off as clumsily on-the-nose.

Speaking of enduring stuff for the sake of something else, I recently suffered through S03E07 of Gilmore Girls (I didn't enjoy the show, but watched it because everybody loved it and I had a case of FOMO, only to tap out after a season and a half.) in order to follow the episode of Gilmore Guys that Jason was on. Worth it. Jason's energy on that show was different, quieter. But of course Jason being Jason, even though the topic was Gilmore Girls, there was funny sexual stuff. He also professed the controversial stance of liking Jess, even though Jess is garbage.

• Like 4

You need to save your chill-age, Cam H., especially coming off of Isla Nublar. I don't feel that watching Sharknado 1 and 2 added to my experience of listening to the podcast. I could've saved myself the ordeal and got by with just reviews and GIFs. I doubt it's going to be different with S3. The only vaguely interesting part of S3 was George R.R. Martin's cameo, and only because I get the sense that the people involved with the movie thought it was clever but it just comes off as clumsily on-the-nose.

Thanks, Auden! I would say there is a good percentage of HDTGM movies that I have never watched--nor have the intention of watching--and it has never affected my ability to enjoy the podcast on its own merits.

I pretty much came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to watch it because, like Fister, I don't have cable. I tried the link he posted, but I wasn't able to watch it without having a cable provider. I'm sure there are other (less savory) ways I could get it, but you know what, I just don't care enough to look into it.

I am looking forward to the episode though.

Instead, I'll just post .gifs of my vacation. Here's one of me an my boys just kickin' back.

f5bf684cba19db29fa4cf4c64311cb16.gif

• Like 8

for most of it i was just watching it to cover it for the episode but the last 5 minutes had me saying "what???" and laughing hard (dont want to post spoilers here for those waiting to watch it) ... also, seeing how old some of the tv stars of my day look now has me feeling old

I think I'm one of the rare few that actually enjoyed this one more than the other two. And I hated the other two. Personally what I liked about this one was that it was self-aware. They took the ridiculousness and turned it to 11 while still thinking people gave a shit about those characters.

Okay let me be completely honest here I may not have liked it so much if it hadn't been for the motherfuckin' sharks in space!

Also yes, Cameron's signature is A+

• Like 3

Cameron, your quote could have been "Oh hell no!"

• Like 2

Cameron, your quote could have been "Oh hell no!"

I was thinking it could have been "How are they surviving up here?!" "Well how do they survive in tornadoes!"

BEST REASONING EVER

• Like 5

Personally what I liked about this one was that it was self-aware. They took the ridiculousness and turned it to 11 while still thinking people gave a shit about those characters.

Thanks so much for this. It made my day and put me in an infinitely better mood.

They must have needed that extra umph in Sharknado 3. They've only been turning it up to 10 the past two movies.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this. It made my day and put me in an infinitely better mood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOO5S4vxi0o

They must have needed that extra umph in Sharknado 3. They've only been turning it up to 10 the past two movies.

You are so welcome. And I think this is just how I'm going to explain the brilliance behind Sharknado 3 from now on.

Others: "Why did you need another one? Those went to 10 already."

Me: "But this one goes to 11."

Sign in to follow this