🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
AdamSachs

So, Midroll got acquired by EW Scripps

Hey everybody, you probably saw the news that Midroll Media (the parent company for Earwolf and Wolfpop) was acquired by EW Scripps. I wanted to reach out here just to let everybody know that we're very excited about this deal, particularly because we feel like Scripps is a perfect partner.

Scripps is a content company (even their CEO is a journalist) and the quality of our Earwolf and Wolfpop content was one of the major reasons they were attracted to us — well that and Matt Gourley's unmistakable charm. All kidding a salad, from our perspective, we knew we could only partner with a company that would let us make our content our way. Scripps has made it explicitly clear to me, Scott, and the team that they will not interfere with our content. Plainly speaking, they're not going to fuck with a good thing, and they are huge fans of freedom of speech.

Don't expect anything to change except for the fact that we hope to have more resources to make more great shows.

• Like 6

Scripps is a content company

That's all I needed to hear.

• Like 10

This is very good to hear! I'll admit I was slightly worried. Thanks for taking the time, Adam, and congrats!

Beloved startup is bought by gigantic media conglomerate.

Nothing to worry about.

Yes I'm being negative.

Honestly that's how we should all feel. I'll withhold judgement until I see things starting to change but I'm not very optimistic.

• Like 2

I feel like Scott would stop doing the show before he let a soulless corporation give him notes and all that. Earwolf makes money. I am very optimistic about this. Congrats Earwolf!

I feel like Scott would stop doing the show before he let a soulless corporation give him notes and all that.

I feel like Scott sort of wants to stop doing the CBB podcast anyway - he's made plenty of thinly-veiled comments hinting at an end to the show this year.

As for this deal, congrats to Earwolf. The company has come a long way in five short years.

• Like 2

I feel like Scott sort of wants to stop doing the CBB podcast anyway

You might be right, but the fact that he's done bonus episodes in nearly half of the weeks this year suggests otherwise.

Edit - OK, my math was slightly off and it's more like 1/3, which might invalidate my point, but I can't delete the post.

• Like 1

I feel like Scott sort of wants to stop doing the CBB podcast anyway - he's made plenty of thinly-veiled comments hinting at an end to the show this year.

As for this deal, congrats to Earwolf. The company has come a long way in five short years.

Yeah, I have to agree. I think this may well be either the last year of it, or leading into the last year of it.

Little odd that both The Hooray Show and Professor Blastoff left right before this news came out.

The amount of times Adam used "content" in that post has to be a joke, right? He's having a laugh?

• Like 1

Little odd that both The Hooray Show and Professor Blastoff left right before this news came out.

I can see how it may look suspicious given the timing, but in reality they were completely unrelated. We're sad to see both shows go.

Can't speak on Hooray Show but Tig has been ready to leave PBO for the past 3-4 months. They talked about it on the last episode.

I can see how it may look suspicious given the timing, but in reality they were completely unrelated. We're sad to see both shows go.

Good to know. I hope this finally puts some money in all of your pockets. God knows the years of free entertainment has been priceless for us, but you all need rewarded.

(and again, you NEED to give Kyle Dunnigan a show.)

Another suspicious thing about this is the lack of Hollywood Handbook merch. Any word on that ?The absence of a t shirt is especially troubling.

• Like 5

Surely with this New Deal there will be an increased merch budget. I still want some Tanks, or No Tanks Tanks

• Like 3

Tanks or no tanks tank-tops, a huge salt water fish tank that says tanks or no tanks and also a tank, like a military tank. I don't think that's asking too much

• Like 2