🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
OfficerMooney

Runaway Train

220px-Runaway_trainposter.jpg

Before Con Air, there was Runaway Train.

Two convicts board a train that has --- surprise, surprise, --- no engineer on it. In a normal movie, this would be insanely dull to watch since the protagonists literally cannot do anything. The good news is that the convicts are played by 1980's Jon Voight and Eric Roberts, so you're in for an unfathomable ride into madness.

Regardless of whether HDTGM picks this one up, everyone here should watch this well made and beautifully shot film. Certainly offers more food for thought than the summer blockbusters I've been seeing this year.

But this film is balls to the wall in almost every department: plot, acting (this is that rare film where everyone is chewing scenery), and art department (a boxing ring in the middle of a high security prison?). And look at the core talent involved, most of whom are HDTGM alums:

Jon Voight (Anaconda, and in peak form here), Eric Roberts (pulling a performance that I can only describe as proto McConaughey) and brief cameos from both Danny Trejo (Bad Ass) and Tom "Tiny" Lister (No Holds Barred)

Director: Andrei Konchalovsky (Tango and Cash), and an early collaborator of famed director Andrei Tarkovsky

With an original story from Akira Kurosawa, the director of Seven Samurai, Rashomon, and Ran.

There are only a few films that are equal parts "How Did This Get Made" and "Thank God this got made". This is one of them.

• Like 1

Director: Andrei Konchalovsky (Tango and Cash), and an early collaborator of famed director Andrei Tarkovsky

With an original story from Akira Kurosawa, the director of Seven Samurai, Rashomon, and Ran.

You have my attention

Also: Voight was nominated for an ACADEMY AWARD for BEST ACTOR for this film. No one can get nominated in these sort of movies anymore!

answerboxphoto1.png

The face of an Oscar nominated performance

I just wanted an excuse to post this:

XB3ALi9.gif

• Like 4

Guys got to check out Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5nKFvQ8gIM

They talk about Cannon Films studio who's made a lot of movies that have been talked about or featured on HDTGM. including this one, "Runaway-train"

I just watched it the other night so it clicked in with me.

Eric Roberts also got an Oscar nod for Best Supporting Actor as well.

Eric Roberts also got an Oscar nod for Best Supporting Actor as well.

This man has 388 acting credits on IMDB, which surpasses Danny Trejo by almost a hundred.

FYI this movie looks like it's going to disappear from Netflix on 9/1 so watch it while you can

I really enjoyed this movie. It took a bit for it to really get going, but that third act is very strong. It's hard to believe that John Voight went from this to Anaconda and Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2.

I really enjoyed this movie. It took a bit for it to really get going, but that third act is very strong. It's hard to believe that John Voight went from this to Anaconda and Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2.

The final shot is super poignant. I'm pretty sure June/Jason would be crying their eyes out.

Sign in to follow this