🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Ofcoursemyhorse

The Mirror Has Two Faces

I think Jason's thoughts alone on this movie could fill an entire podcast.

The plot is essentially Jeff Bridges telling Barbra Streisand he'll marry her, but only if she keeps her gross vagina away from him.

Its a pretty terrible movie.

http://www.rottentom..._has_two_faces/

Michael J. Nelson had some great comments on this in "Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese:"

The Mirror Has Two Faces, directed by and starring Barbra Streisand, is the story of Barbra Streisand and how utterly fabulous she looks. There are ripples of plot to be seen here and there, but mostly it's about Barbra Streisand and how inconceivably beautiful and well-preserved she is. Jeff Bridges is in the film somewhere, but he is set decoration, a mere sconce lamp, there only to illuminate the transcendental magnificence of Barbra's pulchritude. At least, that's how Barbra had it planned. Personally, I thought George Segal, as Jeff Bridges' pal, looked even more radiant than she. He seems to keep himself in good shape, and his skin care regimen is obviously top-notch.

[bridges] ends up on a date with Rose (Streisand), arranged secretly by her beautiful older sister, Claire (Mimi Rogers). I'll restate that: her beautiful older sister, played by Mimi Rogers. Now, Barbra Streisand was born at some time during the Taft administration and is at least eighty-eight years older than Mimi Rogers. There's no shame in being old (unless you're one of those guys with those mandatory Old Guy Houndstooth Hats), but you tax your audience when you play more than a century younger than your actual age.

The Mirror Has Two Faces is a fascinating glimpse into the febrile mind of a megalomaniacal lunatic--and it has a peppy theme song!
  • Like 1

The amount of soft lighting on Barbs on this movie is spectacular to behold, its like that episode of Its Always Sunny where they blast Sweet Dee with a bunch of lights trying to recreate the success of the new bar that opened down the street. Only instead of doing it for a joke, some poor lighting technician had to experiment for horrors achieving the perfect balance.

• Like 2

some poor lighting technician had to experiment for horrors achieving the perfect balance.

Great Freudian slip there!

• Like 1

I'm surprised she didn't make Jeff Bridges play her father.

Whats even weirder is that in this movie she apparently dated Pierce Brosnans character in the past, if she knows shes capable of landing dudes like him why on earth would she agree to some weird arrangement where Jeff Bridges says he'll marry her but only if she doesnt try to fuck him.

Also I love that this is her hair and makeup teams idea of "nailing it"

bawbra_zpsbnacoiho.jpg

• Like 1

Lauren Bacall was an Oscar nominee for Best Supporting Actress for her role in this flick just in case you guys remember.

Thats because Lauren Bacall is awesome and transcends whatever she's in. Her cameo in the Sopranos is still one of my favorite things in the world.

• Like 2

Thats because Lauren Bacall is awesome and transcends whatever she's in. Her cameo in the Sopranos is still one of my favorite things in the world.

I nothing but completly agree with you. Lauren Becall was (and still very much is) amazing.

• Like 1

At her age and with all her achievements you'd expect Streisand would no longer need to make movies in which the entire purpose is to get people to say she's pretty.

Have to bump this. Jeff Bridges plays a character who loses his ability function as a human being when he gets horny. 

Sign in to follow this