🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
RoryO'Donnell

Ass Backwards

Such as The Room or Birdemic?

Well, Paul did say in episode 3 (Old Dog) they "love crappy movies especially the ones with big budget, big stars, and big gaping plot holes."

And so far (I only did a rough scan) the only independent films HTDGM went after are The Room, Birdemic, and Easy Rider 2. So doing Ass Backwards is almost like saying that this movie is on the the same level as these three films...is it really? I don't think so.

I am not exactly sure what even constitutes and "indie" film anymore. I think you could include Tiptoes or Gooby in that or even the first Sharknado. I also don't know that you could even really say that there is a type of movie that they do, the only things that they haven't really done are Criteron and Oscar winners (although if they have done something that won a technical or soundtrack Oscar I wouldn't be surprised), but they do like to experiment. But that said, the OP was unnecessarily harsh in their expression of their opinion of this film that one of the hosts was proudly promoting when it came out.

I am not exactly sure what even constitutes and "indie" film anymore. I think you could include Tiptoes or Gooby in that or even the first Sharknado. I also don't know that you could even really say that there is a type of movie that they do, the only things that they haven't really done are Criteron and Oscar winners (although if they have done something that won a technical or soundtrack Oscar I wouldn't be surprised), but they do like to experiment. But that said, the OP was unnecessarily harsh in their expression of their opinion of this film that one of the hosts was proudly promoting when it came out.

If they ever do an Oscar winner I would almost suggest Chicago, because after having to watch that for work, all I can ask is how the fuck did that movie win Best Picture with how batshit that movie is?

• Like 1

If they ever do an Oscar winner I would almost suggest Chicago, because after having to watch that for work, all I can ask is how the fuck did that movie win Best Picture with how batshit that movie is?

"Chicago" totally is about 15 minutes of story stretched out into two hours.

I'd never seen it before before this last Sunday, since I'm not into musicals, when I had to run this event at my job and I can't believe how many times I looked up at the screen and asked myself what the fuck was going on. Reading the wiki they say the movie was an allegory of Chicago corruption and fake celebrity, but it just came off as a two hour fever dream. Though I will admit the ventriloquist dance number was pretty inventive if not nightmare inducing.

Doesn't that essentially describe all musicals?

• Like 2

Doesn't that essentially describe all musicals?

Well, some are able to move the story forward with the musical performances, but in some musicals, it seems like the story stops dead in its tracks so that they can go into a ten-minute song that's all about what they JUST told you.

• Like 1

Best musical ever, Metalocalypse: The Doomstar Requiem (although, that's an opera)

• Like 1

Personally I only really enjoy musicals from Trey Parker and Matt Stone and some from Troma because they are usually poking fun of the tropes of musicals. I also like to joke about wanting to write Grim and Frostbitten: A Black Metal Broadway Musical.

Just 'cause

• Like 2

I'll have to track that down. Season 1 of Metalocalypse was so good, even my wife who does not like metal and didn't get the majority of the references liked it. Season 2 was spotty and 3 was weak I didn't even bother to set up my DVR after a move for 4. I did see them perform a couple of years ago though and they were really good and funny.

Well, the Doomstar Requiem hasn't been released on DVD yet, but it has huge implications on the overall story, then Adult Swim fucked Brendan Small over and won't let him do Season 5.

What they've done is say "Yeah, so, we're not gonna let you do Season 5 here, and we're not gonna allow you to make it elsewhere". So, there's this story that's been going for close to 10 years now, and right when it comes to the payoff "Nah, not gonna bother now".

I don't have too much to add to the whole "Musicals" topic, there are some I like and others I don't, but I would like to applaud the entire forum for hijacking this thread and turning it from something negative into something positive.

That's pretty rad!

b4edc1a38e1dfeae211603aa2166328c.gif

• Like 7

I've been watching The Venture Bros. non-stop since a friend recommended this show to me last month. I am hooked. I bought all five seasons on iTunes and the various specials. I can't recommend this brilliant and hilarious show enough.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this