🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

This movie looks like it could've been made in 1985. It's fantastically bad. Please do it

I would love to see them do this movie. It's just so fucking insane. They should do a live "Volcano" themed show and do Dante's Peak as well.

This is easily the shittier of the two. I also think this came out when it was coming to light that Anne Heche was a fucking lunatic.

Definite vote for this. It's like a two-hour, all-star cast middle finger to the Myth Busters guys.

I am LITERALLY in the middle of watching this and at a complete loss for words. I cannot emphasize how much this needs to be an HDTGM episode. I LITERALLY have no idea what to make of this movie and what I can figure out is less than nonsensical.

I LOVE Tommy Lee Jones in "Lonesome Dove." This insane waste of celluloid?..... Not so much.

If there's an onscreen couple with less chemistry than Anne Heche and Tommy Lee Jones in Volcano, I'd like to know.

• Like 1

Woke up today thinking about my heroic dude Stan, who is half-smelted by MAGMA and still is able to gorilla-press-throw his friend to safety like the Ultimate Warrior.

Rest in Power, Stan, and HDTGM: DO THIS MOVIE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R01bex9Ejvg

I have been looking for ways to watch this on streaming and it amazingly its on Amazon Prime now!!!!! Next time I have a movie night, this is going on first! I watched Dante's Peak a few months ago and would have loved to pair it with this, but I just couldn't wait. I wish I had!

Would love to see this covered for so many reasons that have been mentioned already as well as Jones racing timed explosions on a motorcycle. I enjoyed this one a bit more than Dante's Peak as it was the more actiony of the pair, though that's the route I usually go with twin movie releases.

Armageddon > Deep Impact

Tombstone > Wyatt Earp

The Prestige > The Illusionist

Olympus Has Fallen > White House Down

• Like 2

Apologies, Volcano is not, I repeat not available on Amazon Prime. The JustWatch app said it was and I went to watch it and it wanted me to pay. I believe they got it mixed up with some documentary called Volcano. 

I don't want to pay $3 - $4 to watch it. Remember it as a teenager, someone jumping from an ambulance into the lava and his legs melting from the feet up. Other than that it will be like a brand new movie to me. 

On 5/5/2020 at 6:06 AM, RyanSz said:

Would love to see this covered for so many reasons that have been mentioned already as well as Jones racing timed explosions on a motorcycle. I enjoyed this one a bit more than Dante's Peak as it was the more actiony of the pair, though that's the route I usually go with twin movie releases.

Armageddon > Deep Impact

Tombstone > Wyatt Earp

The Prestige > The Illusionist

Olympus Has Fallen > White House Down

I agree with these ratings. Dante's Peak tries to take itself more seriously while starring Pierce Brosnan as a volcano expert who's all intense and haunted because of the volcano that killed his beloved, and that's so stupid a plot to try and treat seriously.

Whereas Volcano just owns being incredibly stupid and ends with Randy Newman singing "I Love L.A." and it's infinitely more watchable.

On 5/7/2020 at 11:32 PM, nthurkettle said:

I agree with these ratings. Dante's Peak tries to take itself more seriously while starring Pierce Brosnan as a volcano expert who's all intense and haunted because of the volcano that killed his beloved, and that's so stupid a plot to try and treat seriously.

Whereas Volcano just owns being incredibly stupid and ends with Randy Newman singing "I Love L.A." and it's infinitely more watchable.

Yeah Dante's Inferno did have some great set piece moments, but then it tried going for stupid shit like the couple boiling to death in the hot springs or the dipshit grandma jumping out of the boat in the acid water when they were 10 feet from the dock, that really made it just look like a bad dumb film.

On 5/8/2020 at 2:32 AM, nthurkettle said:

Wait, so it stole all that from Cliffhanger?

Well we need this movie now; because it's the OG Floor is Lava. Wilshire Blvd. is Lava. Subway is Lava. EVERYTHING IS LAVA.

• Like 1

Both of these are great because they both gave me different childhood nightmares. Volcano gave me a fear of being trapped in a metro tunnel filling with lava. And Dante's peak made me afraid of dissolving in acid lakes. 10/10 

• Like 1

I've been back and forth on these two movies and i'm of the opinion that Volcano was the all around better movie in terms of action and just being in downtown LA gave it a more heightened sense of urgency. But I think both Linda Hamilton and Pierce Brosnan were infinitely better in their lead roles than Tommy Lee Jones and Anne Heche were respectively. 

Dante's Peak also did a much better job rounding out the rest of the cast a bit more. Don Cheadle is the only other character from Volcano I can remember. Dante's Peak had a bit more of solid ensemble with Grant Heslov, Tzi Ma, etc.