🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×

Paul F. Tompkins sends the warmest of welcomes only to the SPONTANEANATION listeners who can handle it! This week, Paul’s special guest is exceedingly talented artist and podcaster Lisa Hanawalt of BoJack Horseman on Netflix and the Baby Geniuses podcast! They chat about scary naps, disturbing yourself with your own drawings, and waking up before dawn in order to complete all tasks on a phone video game. Paul is then joined by Maria Blasucci, Sarah Burns, and Chris Tallman to improvise a story set in Malibu. As always, the extraordinary Eban Schletter scores it all on piano!

The next LIVE SPONTANEANATION will be recorded at Largo on Saturday, September 12th, with special guests Kristen Schaal & Superego! Last time, Thomas Lennon and Paul covered a Joy Division song ONLY for the live audience. What will happen before your very eyes next time? Get your tickets now: bit.ly/SPONT915

I think Sarah Burns may have replaced Lauren Lapkus as my comedy crush...

and chris tallman is amazing as allways

• Like 2

I hereby nominate this episode for the category of "Best Ramble" in the 2015 SPONTy Awards.

• Like 7

I love Lisa Hanawalt so much. Had no idea who she was when I started this, and now I am ready to lay down in traffic for her. Also, Paul, your Dracula is slowly moving closer and closer to Count Floyd. I'm so happy.

Welp, now to finish the episode. Loving it so far.

• Like 2

Never thought I'd ever hear a SPONTANEANATION in which Skyrim, Red Dead Redemption and the mechanics of video game wildflower picking were discussed at length. Straight up magical.

• Like 10

Oh weird.

I started watching BoJack Horseman late last night, which resulted in a night full of feverish, vivid dreams about BoJack Horseman. So having a BJH person on, talking about vivid dreams surrealed my morning commute up a whole bunch.

• Like 1

Well, now a precedent is set for returning characters!

Deep down, I hope this means someday we'll get a full-on sequel to Savannah, Georgia.

• Like 5

I think Sarah Burns may have replaced Lauren Lapkus as my comedy crush...

and chris tallman is amazing as allways

Sarah Burns is always so wonderful when she's in character and then just becomes the most awkward person ever when she's out of character. And it cracks me up every time.

• Like 2

Sarah Burns is always so wonderful when she's in character and then just becomes the most awkward person ever when she's out of character. And it cracks me up every time.

Also frequently awkward when in character.

This was one of my favorite episodes just based on the pure silliness and everyone constantly cracking up. Paul's semi-off-mic "Spy company?!" was one for the ages.

• Like 6

Pretty sure Tallman was going for a Rochester from Jack Benny type voice/charac before he got steered into Nick Nolte. Evidenced by PFT's "Oh dear!" exclamation.

• Like 5

Pretty sure Tallman was going for a Rochester from Jack Benny type voice/charac before he got steered into Nick Nolte. Evidenced by PFT's "Oh dear!" exclamation.

My take prezactly.

• Like 2

Paul also did Indoor Kids today. He's a total need but nerds is cool now.

i don't think he's a need at all.

oh who am i kidding i can't live w/out him.

• Like 1

It's a lot of fun to listen to people having a lot of fun.

It makes my heart feel good.

With that in mind, I think there is enough video game in this thread to justify posting this link to Nerd Poker #49 , the first 10 minutes of which is a group reminiscence about the 'Hollywood Halo Social Club', which includes a... call-forward? to Spontaneanation #11. There, I made it relevant.

Anyway, it's a fun listen. Carne Asada in the backyard.

I love that Paul plugged 'Pistol Shrimp Radio' on the cast at the end there. I love checking in on McConville and Gourley doing that. And also, for one episode, Colin freakin' Hanks! Doing a job no one asked them to, but that we all desperately needed. These are amazing! Way more people should support the Pistol Shrimps' podcast!

Seriously, Colin Hanks is commentator no.3 here:

https://soundcloud.c...imps-radio-5515

• Like 2

Nick Nolte... I haven't laughed that hard for a while.

Brilliant

• Like 1

Sarah Burns 'Sarah Burns!'-ing Paul made me think of the U2U2TM where Scott (Aukerman) gets annoyed and Paul asks "Is it because people are doing to you what you do to people?"

• Like 5

So much Paul off-mic awesomeness in this episode. Is it weird I love the off-mic laughter and comments as much as I love the on-mic ones? Because I really do.

Also:

"There's no bully like a coward, I always say!"
  • Like 5

I re-listened to this episode and was reminded of this crazy tidbit and how I need to share it here: This is actually not the first story I've heard about a person being robbed while they were inside their house and playing a video game.

• Like 1