🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Scott Aukerman

QUESTIONS FOR SCOTT RE: HOWL

Most of these questions are too specific for me (I don't know what a UX is), but I think the shows on HOWL are only for streaming, like Netflix or Hulu. It's an interesting idea for people who want to "own" things to put them up for sale on iTunes, maybe? Like TV shows are? It's something to think about.

It's just that going from free and downloadable (and listenable on airplanes, trains, foreign countries, etc.) to paid and streaming-only is a very clear user experience (UX) regression. Usually product decisions consider "UX" to be one of the most significant concerns (right next to revenue) and specifically UX regression (let alone literal content regression for some users, e.g. Android users) is kind of a sin and loses significant user trust.

Better transparency ("Scripps wants more revenue, and we think the best compromise between keeping a *decent* free user/new user experience, introducing a *better* paid-user experience, and meeting realistic business needs is this model where we take down old content" as opposed to "No, don't you get it, it's actually GOOD for you not to be able to get old content as easily or as freely as you could for the past five years!") might sound worse but honesty will at least regain some of the lost user trust/user confidence from taking content away.

• Like 15

It's just that going from free and downloadable (and listenable on airplanes, trains, foreign countries, etc.) to paid and streaming-only is a very clear user experience (UX) regression. Usually product decisions consider "UX" to be one of the most significant concerns (right next to revenue) and specifically UX regression (let alone literal content regression for some users, e.g. Android users) is kind of a sin and loses significant user trust.

Better transparency ("Scripps wants more revenue, and we think the best compromise between keeping a *decent* free user/new user experience, introducing a *better* paid-user experience, and improving monetization is this model where we take down old content" as opposed to "No, don't you get it, it's actually GOOD for you not to be able to get old content as easily or as freely as you could for the past five years!") might sound worse but honesty will at least regain some of the lost user trust/user confidence from taking content away.

This has nothing to do with Scripps - we've been planning this for months (maybe a year?) before we were ever talking to them.

you can still download all the new eps and listen on androids to your hearts content! Sorry, some of that is too technical for me, still, so I apologize if i'm not getting your point about UXes.

Episodes *are* downloadable within the app, though. Like most streaming apps.

Do you know if they are going to remove the ads from the older than 6-month Hollywood Handbook episodes as well? I enjoy the ads on HH, and I think other fans do as well. If I'm a premium subscriber, will I also miss the ads in new Hollywood Handbook episodes?

Episodes *are* downloadable within the app, though. Like most streaming apps.

Oh, so you can download them before you get onto a subway or something, where you don't get a signal? That would be cool. Sorry-- I'm a little confused about the details of how something is downloaded, etc. Again, I'm more of a "broad strokes" guy.

• Like 1

Do you know if they are going to remove the ads from the older than 6-month Hollywood Handbook episodes as well? I enjoy the ads on HH, and I think other fans do as well. If I'm a premium subscriber, will I also miss the ads in new Hollywood Handbook episodes?

This is an interesting question - I was thinking about this. It could be cool to save them in some situations, and put them up as bonus content? Even though I try to make my ads kind of funny, I think the goal is to give people an ad-free experience.

• Like 2

Have you talked to Matt about getting seasons 1 and 2 and the other paid episodes of Superego on howl?

Also, I'm on Android so can't use the app yet to see if it already exists on ios, but will there be a way to download/cache episodes (with drm is fine) so that they can be listened to offline? I don't always listen to podcasts at home so what I normally do is download them in pocketcasts before going out, as mobile data isn't cheap where I live. This is a must for me.

• Like 1

Have you talked to Matt about getting seasons 1 and 2 and the other paid episodes of Superego on howl?

Also, I'm on Android so can't use the app yet to see if it already exists on ios, but will there be a way to download/cache episodes (with drm is fine) so that they can be listened to offline? I don't always listen to podcasts at home so what I normally do is download them in pocketcasts before going out, as mobile data isn't cheap where I live. This is a must for me.

Since Matt is very involved in HOWL, I would imagine he must be considering it.

Not sure about the other question - but Shannon would know more!

That is all I can answer right now - I'll try to check in throughout the day.

Speaking of HH, Chocktaw, will we hear more from the Hayes & Sean? I love the idea of Lauren's extended adventures, so do other current Earwolfers have projects in the works for Howl?

• Like 1

With Howl here now, how will you guys decide whether a new show is a Howl show or an Earwolf/Wolfpop show? Can we expect some upcoming Earwolf shows, or is most of the new stuff coming up going to be for Howl?

I used to skip ads in podcasts until I started listening to Earwolf podcasts and found most of the ads funny. I guess it's not a huge deal but if you wanted to keep them in I wouldn't mind.

• Like 1

It certainly doesn't look like this will make it any easier/ more convenient to access at the content I love with this model. The issue is that the system already works for the consumer. Maybe someone does or doesn't get hooked on a podcast, or a tv show, or a comic book series. They might start later, they might go from the start and see the evolution. That's a listener choice I think most can handle/ decide on. What they certainly say is: "wow, you have EVERY edition of xmen? Maybe I won't start at number one but if it grips me i'll certainly come back to it!"

What is seems like, though, is that this old model doesn't work well enough for most Podcasters, and this will help them actually make some money for their hard work. I definitely want to see podcasting become a viable source of income for all kinds of audience pulls, and this does seem like a system in place to do so. Will there be any transparency as to how much this helps lower-ranked podcasters? I can handle $4.99 a month if its making a difference!

I asked for Analyze Phish and UTU2TM to remain up, since there are so few episodes, dating back years. AP because it's over, and I want as many people to listen to it as possible. And UTU2TM because it's so new, and kind of a limited series. Not sure what the plans for ADPP are specifically.

Hi Scott - super excited about Howl and have been checking it out since last night. Just wondering if the paid archive exemption is a hard rule applying to limited run/infrequent shows, or just those two? Wasn't sure how to read this in terms of whether ADPP backlog will become Howl Premium only. Like will that, or Mike Detective, become exclusive to subscribers?

Thanks!

Got to say, big second on the UX concerns. I may be in a minority by now, but I strongly prefer to listen to things on a dedicated media device rather than streaming to my phone or computer, for a variety of reasons, and not being able to listen to old stuff other than through that is rough. No big for me, as I'm a long-time listener with all the back eps downloaded already (though now will have to make a point to keep a hard back-up of EW shows), but if I were a new listener coming to the shows honestly there's a good chance I'd take a look at that choice and decide it wasn't worth the trouble to get in to. I know listeners like me are probably a fringe case--strong preference for listening on a media-player device plus aversion to picking up a show midway without listening through whole archives--but still a turn-off.

All that said, if this is what it takes for EW to be able to stay a running concern, can't really fault y'all for it.

• Like 8

Hi Scott: I actually find this incredibly exciting. I'm a podcast producer (former journalist and comedian) who has been studying the business side of podcasts a lot lately. I see Howl as solving some of the problems I have had trouble overcoming (monetizing experimental content, mini-series, etc.). Is Howl in a position to begin talks with producers such as myself about partnerships/collaborations or is it only focusing on its current catalog of shows/content?

• Like 1

Better transparency ("Scripps wants more revenue, and we think the best compromise between keeping a *decent* free user/new user experience, introducing a *better* paid-user experience, and meeting realistic business needs is this model where we take down old content" as opposed to "No, don't you get it, it's actually GOOD for you not to be able to get old content as easily or as freely as you could for the past five years!") might sound worse but honesty will at least regain some of the lost user trust/user confidence from taking content away.

This is exactly how I feel.

I consider myself an earwolf superfan and am constantly re-listening to entire back catalogs of shows. I must have listened to all CBBs 4 or 5 times now. Losing all the old episodes is terrible (especially since I've only halfway through WC now) but I don't know that I can stomach a monthly fee for old content. I know Earwolf has to make money somehow, but I've got very mixed feelings about this... especially as an android user. Maybe we've just been taking all the great free content for granted?

• Like 4

To clarify, the actual concept of a paid pro version that provides an appreciably superior experience (which Howl seems to strive for, and ought to get there one day) is something I fully support, especially if it helps to support the content creators and encourage smaller-listenership shows (I say that as someone who has donated way too much money to Hollywood Handbook).

The things that confuse/upset me about this are:

1) Breaking the old Earwolf experience (taking down old shows). Users who want to keep doing what they've been doing for free for years can no longer do that, and the explanation for why this is better for users makes no sense (more on that later). However, since I've already said that I would gladly pay for a subscription pro version, that shouldn't personally affect me, however...

2) The new experience, though it could be better, is broken too (no Android support). While there are some additional new features/improvements to the advertised Howl experience (ad-free, more premium content), overall the current experience also features some major regressions. A complete lack of Android support and a lack of an ability to download (downloading in-app would be acceptable although not quite as ideal, but, again, completely broken on Android) show a misunderstanding of the user base or a lack of caring.

3) Misleading/incomplete/unclear/dishonest explanation for why (1) had/has to happen. Explaining it away as a better new-user experience doesn't make sense. Scott, you yourself said *in this very thread* that you wanted to keep certain entire catalogs on Earwolf free specifically so that "as many people to listen to it as possible", which clearly contradicts the stated concept of "if we only allow recent episodes, more people will listen". I should mention that it's possible that you guys have done some research on this topic and come to the surprising conclusion, and if so then lots of my assumptions here would be unfair. However, with current information, the explanation appears wholly unsatisfactory.

• Like 18

Honestly these changes don't affect me in a negative way at all, I'm more than happy to throw 5 simple dollars at a company that's given me thousands of hours of entertainment.

But I do hope they consider having a premium RSS feed, with like a password or something. (I don't know exactly how the tech side of it works)

But something that way I can pay for the content -- and still listen using my favorite podcast app.

I don't mean this in an offensive way to HOWL or Earwolf -- I again like the idea of getting more content, but I like having all my podcasts in one nice organized area.

• Like 8

I have already paid for a howl subscription, so please do not take these comments as me being a cheapskate.

1) Removing the archive makes it more difficult for friends to get their friends into the show. When I wanted my friend to listen to CBB I told him to listen to the Tom Leykis episode because I was confident he would respond well to the comedic sensibly expressed there. This has happened many times. Limiting the archive makes it more difficult for me to recommend specific episodes.

2) Will you be removing the ads for Hollywood Handbook? Please do not do this, I laugh as much at those as at the show.

3) Please consider making an option to have the archives available on other podcasting apps. The howl user interface is substantially more cluttered than my favourite app, and I would be frustrated by needing to navigate it.

• Like 9

I have a question related to content - and I apologize if it's already been asked and answered.

Earlier you noted that this move would help make it more financially feasible to create content. I get that. But I'm wondering who gets to approve what gets made under the Howl banner.... and how much of a role does the new ownership play in the development of shows? Is there to be a cancellation threshold? Or... a risk of being "noted" to death as it were?

• Like 4

Is there a timeframe on the Android app? I think that should have happened before this launch. We are really being left out in the dark on this one.

Even if I were to pay for premium at this time, which I will eventually do, I have no means of listening premium content or archived podcasts at work, which is when 90% of my podcast listening takes place.

I think it was a mistake to launch this Premium service before that app was released.

• Like 8

3) Misleading/incomplete/unclear/dishonest explanation for why (1) had/has to happen. Explaining it away as a better new-user experience doesn't make sense. Scott, you yourself said *in this very thread* that you wanted to keep certain entire catalogs on Earwolf free specifically so that "as many people to listen to it as possible", which clearly contradicts the stated concept of "if we only allow recent episodes, more people will listen". I should mention that it's possible that you guys have done some research on this topic and come to the surprising conclusion, and if so then lots of my assumptions here would be unfair. However, with current information, the explanation appears wholly unsatisfactory.

Yeah, if this were pitched as "hey, let's be honest, we need to be able to monetize this somehow if we want to keep doing this, and this is how it's going to work" it would be a lot more acceptable than "look at this great new service that lets you pay to get things that used to be free in a more cubmersome/limited way with speculative value-add at best, isn't it exciting?"

I'm not against paying for podcast content; I maintain a monthly donation of significantly more than $4.99 to Maximum Fun, and if this service ever looks like an actual worthwhile value I'll gladly pay it, but not a fan of the way it's being rolled out.

• Like 7

Scott, while I appreciate you taking the time time to answer question from the forum, I think you certainly owe us answers to more than the glowing 'Oh Howl is great' fawning from Earwolf fanboys and fangirls.

With all of that said, and with apologies for coming at you like this, I have to ask - how do you balance work and family?

• Like 9

This is an interesting question - I was thinking about this. It could be cool to save them in some situations, and put them up as bonus content? Even though I try to make my ads kind of funny, I think the goal is to give people an ad-free experience.

Maybe put them at the end of the episode for people to listen to if they want?

• Like 3